Choosing a Racket to replace MX60

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bakulaw, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

Hi,

Been using a Victor MX60 (3U) for about half a year now.

This racket is quite good but I it feels a bit "too flexy" recently.

I'm somehow liking the feel of the Arc 10/Arc Z-Slash more (specially for overhead shots). I'm not too keen on the Arc-10 at the net though.. needs a bit more time to get used too perhaps?

I'm not sure if I'm liking the stiffer feel or the better maneuverabilty of the ARC 10 & Z-slash compared to the MX-60.

Any recommendations on a good replacement racket?

Some shortlisted candidates are the following:
    1. Victor MX JJS (4U) - How would a 4U MX JJS compare with a 3U ARC 10 (power, maneuverability and stiffness ?)

2. Victor MX 70 (4U) - I've read some bad reviews on this racket. Some say it feels numb.

3. YY ARC 11 (3U) - fairly new racket and I don't know how it compares with the MX 60.

Appreciate all the inputs. Other racket recommendations are also welcome.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Rkep xp-70.....

3. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

mx60 (3u) ? then why dont u try mx70 (3u) ? :)

been read in another thread that mx70 is stiffer compared to mx60.

4. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

I'm actually looking for a racket more maneuverable than a MX60 (3U).

Something with the stiffness, maneuverability, speed and swing weight of an ARC Z-slash but with the Meteor frame profile. (main reason why I'm leaning towards 4U meteors)

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Have you tried BS11 or BS10(TW-Coded)? Both should be stiffer than your MX 60 and really fast.

6. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

i havent tried bs-11 nor bs-12 yet but i have an rkep pro 6000. it's also good but not stiff enough.

the feel if the sword frame is a bit different.. quite metallic..

i'm looking for something with a meaty feeling.

i'm also a bit worried about durability issues. i get paint chips on the pro 6000 from mishits alone but the mx frame is quite sturdy. my mx 60 has been through several clashes and it doesn't have a single paint chip.

i mainly play doubles and durability is quite important as well.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    No Paint chips or breakage is more luck than everything else. If you play doubles you must count in broken rackets. I wrote this sentence a few times, but this is a racket's way of life. Paint chips will come. Not yet but one day will come and you get a paint chip. There is no graphit racket out there which will survive every clash.
    Short story, I knew people who broke a MX, I luckily had some bad clashes, some paintchips but no crack. Luckily. A broken racket or paintchips don't tell you something about quality and durability.
    Another short story. Had some BS10s in the past. First Clash - broken. The other several paintchips, several clashs, still go strong. This does not tell anything. One day you will realize that every racket will break or chip off.
    To avoid bad cosmetics or breakage you must only play singles and there is no 100% guarantee, too

If you are looking for something really stiff with a aeroframe you can take a look at Forza rackets.

A meaty feeling like a Headheavy racket has and the feeling of a ZS are very different. It seems that you don't know what you want. A stiffer MX60, an even balanced racket like ArcSaber 10 or ZS, or a meaty feeling of a headheavy one. Your preferences must be clear, otherwise we can't help you.

#7 ucantseeme, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

Thanks. Appreciate the inputs. I know broken rackets are unavoideable but chances do get smaller for frames with more robust profiles (at an engineering point of view, anyways).

You might have misunderstood my reply, i prefer a meatier feel compared to the RKEP PRO 6000 racket, but not necessarily an arc Z frame. I'm also not looking for a really stiff racket either. I tried an Arc8DX before but it was too stiff for me.

To summarize, I'm looking for a racket with stiffness and swing weight of an Arc Z/Arc 10 (3U) but with the head frame design of an MX frame. Main reason why I'm considering 4U Meteors.

9. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Having tried the MX70 in 4U and the MXJJS in 3U (not available in 4U here), and considering the fact that I am a MX60 user, I really think that the MX70 4U is unsatisfying to play and effectively numb. The JJS was a real joy to use but it was somewhat heavy. But sometimes, lighter doesn't serve the racket design well.

10. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

Hi, Is your MX60 3U or 4U?

Do you feel any difference in maneuverability when using the MX70 (4U) vs the MX-JJS (3U)?

The MX70 was the first meteor released, therefore not the most "mature" of the series.

I have the impression that the others (MX London & JJS) are meant to improve on the MX70's performance (or lack of it).

11. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Having read your input, perhaps MX JJS 4U would suit your requirement.

The durability and paint quality of MX series is much better to other series (IMHO).

Nevertheless, a local dealer told me that Victor recently decided to discontinue MX JJS, and thus its availability would be more difficult to be found in the future.

Fyi, the first meteor was MX80, and followed by MX70.

12. Blessed Kawa

Blessed Kawa Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    I ended up having 3 MX London Ltd. after trying MX80 3U, SW35 3U, VTZF 3U & 4U, VT80 3U & 4U, VT70 3U, AT600 4U, Carbonex 2u, Gosen Aermet.

One word for MX London - fast, powerful & meaty. Very happy with it. I just got a MX60 3U to compliment my collection. Is still meteor series. I more or less happily ended in search for the most suitable racket for me. Occasionaly tempted to try BS LYD because of the very fast sword frame.

Go try the MX London Ltd.

13. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

My MX60 is 3U. It's a fact that the 4U will be a little bit more quick and maneuverable, it depends on your endurance and how much the loss of power (when using a 4U) is going to affect you.

14. yzsgs789

yzsgs789 Regular Member

Student
    I use a 3U MX80, and I personally find it great for doubles.

Undoubtably if u a stiffer shaft, then the MX70<MX-JJS<MX80 racquets should be what you are looking into cuz you like the meteor frame and a stiffer shaft.
    I enjoy the MX80 the most because I like stiff shafts and the MX70 doesnt cut it for me and is fairly weak for attacking.

I don't really suggest a 4U on these slightly head-heavy racquets...(They are really even balanced after you apply grip).
    I'd only go for a 4U if you are looking for a head heavy racquet like a zforce, I feel like if you don't use a 3U on the MX series you are missing out on some serious power, a 3U has enough speed for defense...it is a very fast racquet.

As for the z-slash, I feel it isn't suited for doubles due to its smaller frame...which makes it bad for defense and it is less forgiving towards mishits.

Not sure about the A10, havn't tried that yet, but I head it is quite "sticky" as in the shuttle tends to stay on the string bed longer than other racquets...not something I'd like when playing a fast paced game of doubles with all the drives and smashes..

Just my two cents.

15. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

thanks. i'm actually looking for a stiff racket only, not extra stiff. i just could not play well with the extra stiff rackets like sw35 and arc8dx.

extra weight on the head is not all too important to me right now. i figured it will be easy to add a bit more weight later via lead tape in case i want to tweak the balance a bit but i won't be able to make the 3u racket any more maneuverable.

16. yzsgs789

yzsgs789 Regular Member

Student
    I guess in that case the MX70 will suit you quite well.
    But it's shaft does feel worse than the MX70 and MX JJS.
    you might also want to look into a bravesword or a NS9900..both are very fast racquets that are stiff.

17. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

MX70 is my 2nd choice while a BS (LYD on 15) is distant 3rd choice.

I can't quite understand why people say the MX70 is numb. Need to spend more time sifting through the threads to get a better picture.

I'm not really considering the NS9900... way too expensive here.

18. yzsgs789

yzsgs789 Regular Member

Student
    I guess it's cause you don't really feel the MX70 flexing when you hit it or swing really hard.
    Good stiff shafts are stiff yet they when you generate power correctly it is suppose to flex to give you that explosive power.
    The MX70's shaft sometimes feel like its a stiff peace of wood that just vibrates when you hit it and doesnt offer that explosive power you get with other 'better' stiff shafts like the MX80 or the NS9900.
    Victor is known for its stiff yet numb shafts...its improving but Yonex is makes the best shafts in the market...if you look at the BS series it also feels quite numb where as with the NS9900 you never get that feeling.

Nevertheless the Victor still makes great racquets, esp the new MX-JJS.

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    IMO it's a hoax and wrong to say that YY makes the best shafts. Did you ever used every racket of every brand to come to this conclusion?
    I think that you haven't used every racket from Victor. So your lovefest is just bashing other brands.
    There are alot of brands which makes superb rackets and by the way YY makes rackets, which are awful, too.

Lol, I have seen that you stated LYD as your favorite MS Player. :D You must be an expert to badminton or a troll.:eek:

#19 ucantseeme, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  20. yzsgs789

yzsgs789 Regular Member

Student
    Lol yah I did make a mistake with the MS part >.<
    I love Victor racquets don't get me wrong here...I use the 3U MX80 myself, but I do feel that their shafts are usually very stiff and have a numb feeling...maybe it's wrong to say yonex doesn't make the best shafts, but it definitely makes ONE of best shafts in the world...
    I wouldn't say YY makes awful racquets..perhaps abit overpriced compared to other brands but it has been consistently producing wonderful racquets that are praised by the community.

when have I bashed other brands? I am just giving him a personal opinion having tried some stiff racquets myself cause I like stiff racquets...I'm not sponsored or anything so there's no reason for me to bash or advocate any brand..