Looking for a racquet for a Teen Under $180 CAD

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Benet Wu, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

All,
    I am looking for a racquet for a Teen under $180 CAD.
    He is around 5' 4" and still growing.
    I noticed he lacks power as he is still young...
    doesnt play the net as much and loves to smash.

Any suggestion? Yonex would be easier to get in GTA (Toronto) so Yonex recommendation would be best.

I am comparing a few: Arc10, NS9900, NR800, or VTZF...? The light head racquets because he is still not strong yet to constantly use the heavy head ones... VTZF cause he just loves to smash.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Then he should work on his technique first and foremost ... You didn't mention what he is using now? Also I don't think you can get any of those rackets for under $180 in GTA (not that they are good suggestions to begin with)? Unless there is a store that carries imported, non Yonex Canada rackets ...

[and there is a nice section available to ask for racket recommendations ;) http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/155-Racket-Recommendation-Comparison]

#2 demolidor, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

It's hard to give suggestions because we don't know his level or his current racket. A medium flex, medium BP, medium weight is a safe place to start, but try out some rackets if at all possible.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It sounds like a mistake to spend $180 on a racket for someone who is still growing into his power and learning technique. For example the 9900 may be a bit light, but takes good technique and a very quick wrist to wield well, IMHO.

If he loves smashing and needs a little help to clear, then I offer you this suggestion that I think is a huge bargain: Victor Tornado 662.
    I saw one at Source for Sports on sale here in Nova Scotia for $65! But there is nothing cheap about this racket. A bit head heavy, but not heavy overall. Somewhat flexible. All it needs is a decent string different from the factory garbage and you have a very good attacking racket. (For your consideration).:)

5. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    I think a RKEP PRO9000 would be smart, it is cheap, a little flexible and has good power. You can just PM Eric, he is on badmintoncentral too (Squash_mart)

6. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

Hey thanks for input.
    Technique and footwork are something he is working on... but isnt everyone still? LOL Unless you are LinD or LCW then you have mastered all that needed to mastered.

Yah $180 is a general range and may be abit low for those mentioned.. but they are only difference by 20$ or $30 bucks.. small margin which I don think it is an issue.

He is currently using some YY Carbonex racquet which I dont even remember... All i could recalled is that it has an isometric head.

7. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

I think the NS9900 may be too light headed too.. but he does pay double all the time in his school team so it may be of advantage in that case.
    I would love to check out Victor too but honestly, in Toronto, I can main find YY and Li-Ning... Other than the off brands that sportchek carries.

I know he likes Yonex as a brand and since this is for his Bday, I probably will just stick with Yonex although I think the Victor BS are on par with some of the top Yonex.

8. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

Thanks for the input. He is working on his technique and footwork, but so is everyone else right? Unless you are LinD or LCW, otherwise everyone still havent mastered everything yet.
    He is currently using some Carbonex racquet with isometric head that is pretty beat up and with stock strings.. (annoys me because the damn YY logo kept marking my shuttlecocks with red).
    He plays mostly double in his school team at this point.

9. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

Thanks i just Googled him and he has an ebay store.. shipping along from TW kills any deal... :(

10. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

His shipping is dirt cheap

11. Cammaedros

Cammaedros New Member

Never seen a Carbonex racquet with ISO head. PICS!!

12. stopdrop

stopdrop Regular Member

student
    I would get him a bravesword 10. It will help with his net shots,it's really fast defensively and smashes are also great. Best thing about it; it's only like $150 where I live!

13. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

might not be a Carbonex... it just too beat up for me to care what it is...
    But pretty sure of the ISO head as that's an obvious on a racquet.

14. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

Do you have any clue where to get Victor in GTA? I want t check out a BS12 myself but never seen them selling here in Toronto.
    Thanks

15. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Why don't you look up MJStrings.ca? His website doesn't always look up to date, but he has a bricks and mortar shop and is always very nice in online dealings I've had with him.

Brown's advertises Victor stuff. http://www.brownssports.com/badminton/racquets/victor.php
    ____

If you are thinking of a BS 10 for your son, realize it favours a quick swing action. It is very mobile with great control, yes. But it is also quite stiff and he might have trouble with clears and smashes if he can't accelerate the head. But it is for you and him to decide on his preferences. (Like buying jewelry for the wife ... always a tricky proposition!).
    Of course, if you buy a BS12 for yourself, then you guys can compare both.:)

16. stopdrop

stopdrop Regular Member

student
    I'm sorry I don't live there so I wouldn't know.

17. Cammaedros

Cammaedros New Member

18. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

Thanks bud.
    I got my VT80 from Maxsport and I understand they mainly carry Yonex and Li-Ning. Their prices are super competitive in TO since everything includes tax...

Guess Cancucks online store is temporary down.. (getting 404).
    Will def check it out.

19. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    VT80 is superb racket. If I haven't sold it for my Z-Force, I would still be using it... For me, I feel all the Voltric series is still a bit slow on the defensive side, but your kid loves to smash, and VT80 isn't the stiffest out there. so it should be no problem..

You could also look at cheaper rackets like APACS such as Tantrum 500, and Slayer 99. Also I like my MusclePower 99 and my ArcSaber 5DX

These rackets for me all feel like offensive rackets, faster in defensive for me rank as this MP99>Arc5DX=S99>VT80>VTZF>T500

20. Benet Wu

Benet Wu Regular Member

I agree with you VT80 is amazing... but not the fastest for defensive play or doubles.
    I am not thinking of the Arc8DX too... or VT70. VT70 was pretty top notch until VT80 came out obviously...

And he is not my kid. just a buddy's son. :)