Tapping your raquet head on the court!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by situationeye1, Mar 9, 2013.

1. situationeye1

situationeye1 Regular Member

I.T
    A very strange query, but when I have to lunge very low on my forearm side, after connecting with the shuttle I will tap the raquet head twice on the court rapidly before continuing. I can't help doing it. I think it's just an automatic thing that I don't notice but other people do. Anyone else do something similar???

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

We all have a few compulsions in one way or another. Yours sounds pretty harmless. ;):)

3. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Done that several times myself...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

i don't think it's a compulsion is it?

i do that myself, even pros do it, in those instances when they lunge really low to the forehand side, and then they need the help of the racket to push off the ground to retain their balance on pushing up

5. 96382

96382 Regular Member

It is just physics when the body has to deal with huge forces due to fast momentum switches and there is little place for the racket to go to. Todays rackets can cope with it - most of the time. So try to avoid it but if it happens you shouldnt worry.

@visor : I dont think it is a good idea to push yourself off with the racket and most people wont do it ;). The push-off is still done by the legs. If you are really low on one side (diving etc.) and your racket with your racket arm comes down to the floor, you should push off at the handle of the racket with your hand touching both racket and court. In those situations the force is (hopefully evenly distributed over the racket and) taken away from the racket as you use both your arms to get up (not the racket).

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

My friend had a habit of doing something like that every time. He would tap his racket on the ground before moving and he was a pretty good player...(at least in America)

7. situationeye1

situationeye1 Regular Member

I.T
    Thanks for the interesteing posts.....I definetely do not put any pressure on the raquet, I think my 100kg weight would immediately break it if I did!
    I guess all the best players do it then :)