Racket for shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Vraven, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Vraven

Vraven Regular Member

Hi guys,

I have problems with my shoulder (Impingement-Syndrom, there are some Threads in the Forum). I stopped playing for 2 months and doing some physio etc. After that the shoulder was quite good, but now, after playing for about 2 months again, the pain comes back.
    My technique is good, had some sessions with a professional trainer. Currently I am playing a Voltric Z-Force, before I played a NS9900 and AT900T (all 4U/G4), so all stiff rackets. The shoulder pain began about 9 months after switching to the Z-Force. The Doc said, that also after a longer break, the pain can come back every time (had a MRI etc), but I just can´t stop playing Badminton with 24 years. I just finished the season, so I will have a break for 1-2 months and suggest to get a new racket. I really love my Z-Force and I like stiff rackets and had problems with flexible rackets in the past, but if it will help playing with less pain / longer sessions I will try to adapt to a more flexible racket. In the past I lower my tension from 27/29 lbs to 22/24 (with some smaller steps) and get back to 24/26, because thats my tension with a reasonable compromise between feel and my shoulder, at least for my Z-Force.
    Do you think a more flexible and maybe also an even balanced racket could help dealing with the pain? At least it will put less stress on the shoulder. After another break I have about 4 month to test some rackets, before the season starts.
    In training sessions I play about 60% doubles and 40% singles, but in matches and on tournaments I play both. In doubles I play offensive and have no problem with the defensive with my Z-Force, in singles my style is more defensive. Also before the pain occures, I was smashing just when I know this smash would be enough to get the point.
    Maybe you can help me to point out 3-4 rackets, which I will test after my break. At the moment I don´t know how flexible it should be and if it should be even balanced or slight head heavy. Maybe I should test really flexible/head light, flexible/even balanced, flexible/slight head heavy and flexible/head heavy?
    Budget is not important. Brands should be Yonex, Victor, Li-Ning or Babolat. Other brands are hard to get in Europe. Maybe a Nanoray, I-Shlash, Bravesword, N33, N77?
    Thanks for the help

2. slowmotion

slowmotion Regular Member

Student
    Had similar problems with you and it took me months to fully recover from it ( with the help of a chiropractor). I believe what you should do is to switch to rackets that are even balance and not extra stiff. Head heavy rackets will put more burden on your shoulder and the repulsion from your shots using extra stiff rackets will also add more burden to your shoulder. Was using an MX-80 when I got similar injuries as yours.

I used Kason F9 which is medium flex and definitely not head heavy. Did not tax my shoulders much and was still able to play decently despite the injury. Changed to a stiff Bravesword 11 and it was still okay for me. However, I advise you to stop playing until you heal completely as it would take you a much longer time to recover if your injury worsens. I'm suggesting the Bravesword series if you are able to get your hands on them. Hope your shoulder gets better soon!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

4. asdsadas2008

asdsadas2008 Regular Member

Student
    Bravesword might be a good idea tho i think you'd want to go away from BS-LYD, BS-15, or BS-10 due to your shoulder injury.

Find something that is more flex-even balanced or head light like N77II (I use this personally) or something else like I-Slash (i've never used this one) maybe good. My friend used BS-11 with a shoulder injury and got it back when he pushed himself, but it guess it's up to how you feel the racket... Tho my racket now is Spira 21 (which is supposedly stiffer than LYD), i found LYD to be much more unforgiving than Spira 21. So yea, it's up to your personal preference also.

Best of luck in recovering dude :)

5. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    May I suggest the ArcSaber FB? Light as a feather at 73g... :D

6. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I had a shoulder injury and extra stiff rackets really were a problem. Heavy rackets were too. I can suggest rackets with shock absorption, like the BS line from victor. Also, the Babolat x-feel Essential is supposedly easy on the arm and well liked by older players (or so I was told by a seller here in town).

medium to stiff are ok for me but it might not be the case for you, so you might have to try some rackets. BP should be even balanced instead of head balanced and if you are looking into 3U rackets, maybe a lighter 3U should be something to search for.

I hope this helps

7. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

Flash boost, i-slash, nanoray 700-800 are decent choices

8. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Given that racket choice is very subjective and personal, how would you rank the 4 above (or suggest) for someone looking for an easy to play racket with easily accessible power on tap (i.e. doesn't take much to extract the racket's potential).

Bear in mind this is someone who:
    - has decent technique
    - suffering from slight shoulder pain and discomfort

Previous racket was an 8DX with AP62+ @ 22 lbs (which possibly contributed to the shoulder pain and discomfort)

Thanks,

Justin

9. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    I had a recurring shoulder injury too....and my racket of choice now is karakal bn60. At only 60g unstrung, I can play longer without my shoulders protesting. Strung it with yonex bg66 ultimax at 24lbs. So far so good.... U might wanna check out the review below:

http://everythinggoeshere.blogspot.sg/2012/11/badminton-racket-review-karakal-bn-60.html

not sure if it is available from where u are, but i got mine for s$130 w karakul soft grip n the bg66 ultimax at queensway shopping centre in Singapore.

10. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

I got the same problem when i bought my Z-Force. That racket was just to stiff for me to handle and my simple solution was to go back to my Voltric 80. No more pain and my smash is just as good, or even better since it dosnt hurt ;)

11. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

If one is having problems with the shoulder, he should be trying to solve the problem at the root rather than looking for a new racket which may end up collecting dust in the store.

I had tennis elbow, followed by shoulder pain while using mx80. My racket arm felt to have been ripped off in the mornings.

As most of us thinks, I started using flexier and headlight rackets. It did help relief the pain while playing and much less arm "ripped off" feel in the mornings.

Guess what? My games were never the same as before.

So, I've been doing stretching exercises before games... bla bla.... thanks the thread by Visor

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-know-about-it

The exercise that help me most is to lift your arms up on the sides with the thumbs pointing up. Could use dumbbell, elastic band or even cola bottles filled with water. Go easy with the weights, this exercise is meant to workout the shoulders.

I would say I'm not 100% the same as before the injury. On the bright side, its getting close. I'm now uisng zforce and mx80 at 25lbs and my flexier and headlighter rackets are all in the store. I'm also smashing harder and moving faster too. I do feel great.

This is my experience with the injury. Hope it helps others on the way to recovery.