Ektelon model de stringing machine - Suitable for badminton?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by milton, Mar 10, 2013.

1. milton

milton Regular Member

Hi
    I have been reading the forum for a while and have been considering getting a stringing machine. I have been playing up to 10hrs a week and breaking a lot of strings so its something i really want to do to save money. I have the above model for sale quite cheaply (its over 20yrs old but apparently well maintained). The only thing is the seller said to me he does not recommend it for badminton rackets mainly because of the 2 point mounting system.

As far as i understand this shouldnt be an issue at low tensions. Does anyone have any experience stringing badminton rackets on old 2 point machines such as this? Is it a good place to start? Although the machine is primarily for tennis i have seen references to other models doing badminton rackets.
    Thanks in advance

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Ektelon, so it is one of the older NEOS?

i know someone who (used to?) string with NEOS and the stringjob came out good. however, most badminton stringers will stay away from the NEOS for precisely what you said. the lack of 6pt support would be a liability if you string for other people. but if you are intending only to do it yourself, then maybe it is OK.

but that depends on what price you are getting it for. there are many other choice when it comes to 6pt support machine.

3. milton

milton Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. I think the machine is a really old predecessor to the prince neos. I would only be stringing for myself at midrange tension 24lbs. There was a very similar oliver machine on ebay nearby which sold for only £21. Most of the older machines only seem to be 2 point when was 6 point mounting introduced?

4. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
  5. milton

milton Regular Member

That looks a great kit and very easy to instal although you do have to purchase a seperate gamma 2 point mounting adapter for $100. I think il try and buy the machine and if i do get il update as it seems a very popular machine for tennis.

6. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    it's a very solid machine, the 2 pts mounting adapter you could fabricate yourself, if the total cost is more than $250, you rather wait to get a used 6 pts weight machine.

7. milton

milton Regular Member

Well the ektelon on ebay jumped from £50 to £195!! So i didnt get however i have managed to get an old oliver stringing machine for only £23! Il post a pic when i pick it up on friday. Can't wait to try it.