"not ready" tactics while receiving the shuttle on serve even though they were ready

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by scorpion1, Mar 10, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Greatest importance to make a rule to fill in the hole of Badminton rules .

It was seen quite many players are playing this tactics where they seem to be ready while their opponents were serving. But once they got served, they show gestures that they were not ready.:mad:

BWF has to find some rule in order to stop this disgusting tactics..:(

This has been shown clearly many times in the video footage taken during the All England 2013 quarterfinal match of Saina Nehwal vs wang shixian.

Commentators were shocked and mentioned it as ' shame ' . The footage was shown again and again for the viewers to know about it. This act has been done by the saina's opponent for four times. BWF should come up with some solution to tackle this.

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

This situation is dealt with by the umpire. The umpire decides the pace of the match. If he/she felt like it was unfair, he/she should have called offending player over and have a talk with them. If such tactics continue, the umpire may warn (yellow card) the offending player.

There is a rule that states "
    9. SERVICE

9.1 In a correct service,

neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the
    receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server’s
    racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an
    undue delay;"

This rule is heavily towards the server (delay of service fault) but it still applies to the receiver.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thats why i am stressing this a lot. Since it is totally based on umpire (Normal Human being) , there is possibility of being biased to a particular nation. This thread is not about delay in serving or receiving. But posing as ready and when the server serves the shuttle, receiver acts as if he/she was not ready.

I mean if that happens many times in a match, umpire need to give a point to the server . That should be the case. Really a cheap tactics.:(

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree. The serve done, if the receiving player does not take it its his choice, but the point is valid in any case.
    it is specially anoying when the receiver is surprised by the flick serve, then force himself to remain with no motion and then pretend 'not ready'. The umpire are way too flex with this.

5. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Only Gillian Clark was outraged, not the co-commentator. I actually think GC went overboard, because as a matter of fact WSX never lowered her hand. Yes, she did lower her body, making it look like she was ready but she did still keep her hand raised.

In general though I agree that it's being used as a delaying tactic sometimes but yeah it's up to the umpire to recognize this and take action.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    GC didn't go overboard. She is a great badminton commentator in the world at present:). She does not need to go overboard to support a particular player. Its clearly visible in the match how shixian played her 'not ready' tactics to make her opponent frustrated :rolleyes:.

7. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Wsx isnt the only player to do this, bomo does it all the time, LXL did it against bomo, LYD has done it (usually against bomo), CL does it, everyone does it so why only single out wsx in that match against SN?

oh wait, i forgot who is participating in this thread. Nevermind, carry on.

8. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Can someone point out when this is happening in the video?

[video=youtube;Gn2_I4vtAmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn2_I4vtAmA[/video]

9. Kazoo

Kazoo Regular Member

56:04
    50:20
    Even though she has her left hand up in both instances, she looks as if she is ready. Seems to me it is just a tactic to throw her opponent off.

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks for pin pointing..:)

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Both times (56:04, 50:20) she was receiving a low serve, so I guess it's just to frustrate the opponent. I mean, if Saina had played a flick serve and Wang Shixian would have been deceived, that would make it explainable (but not excusable)...

12. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Isn't this tactic very risky though? The umpire could as well award the point.

13. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I love GC, she is great, but she is not perfect. Sometimes I think she overreacts.

But in this case I must say, after having watched the incident again, that I think it's an error from the umpire to award a let. I think Saina should have been given the point, because WSX really appears to be ready.

#13 vixter, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thats why i am stressing here continuously so that BWF will take quick decisions to fill the gap in the rules in order to prevent another replica of London Olympics 2012 to happen :rolleyes:. I have never seen any player playing this kind of tactics again and again in the same match to frustrate the opponent (Also Making loud sounds than the permissible limit)and umpire without taking any decision against that player :rolleyes:. Really annoying:(. Certainly, I never expected such a bad tactics and wrong tricks from a top ranked player :(.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

There is no such thing.

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I meant that the screaming should be in such a way that it should not be irritatable to persons who are hearing . Her screaming went overboard :(. It was so annoying to not only the opponent but also who were watching the match in the arena:(.