Shuttles in the UK

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Randomlegend, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Has anyone got any advice for where to get good (and reasonably priced) shuttles in the UK?

I'm looking at getting a few tubes for use in a league but:

a) I'm completely lost as to what is good and what's not, even after taking a long look here

and

b) a lot of stuff seems really, really expensive.

I'm currently looking into these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YangYang-..._Sporting_Goods_Badminton&hash=item19d2b0135a

But 17.50 a tube + postage still does seem like a lot, although everything is expensive nowadays, maybe that's just what shuttles cost :(

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Would recommend buying from directsportseshop, also known as direct badminton.

As for which shuttles to get, personally i find Yonex AS 20 work well enough, around £13.50 a tube.

3. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

Hi there,

We currently have some AF100 shuttles in stock, they currently are on site for £14.50 and are a nice durable shuttle ideal for matches made from Grade 1 Goose feather. We supply performance centres with these and are a popular shuttle.

Get in touch if there is anything we can do or you...

facebook.com/badmintonalpha or @badderz_alpha

4. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Oops, didn't see you wanted them for league matches. You'll want a higher grade shuttle than AS 20 for league.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    We've tried loads of different feathered shuttles at our club including, Yonex, Victor, Carlton, Yehlex and Swift. We found that Yehlex Premiership Grade 78's were the best for our hall. Good durability and cheaper and better than the equivelant Yonex AS40's. We found that a shuttle lasted about 1/2 - 3/4 a game of hard match play. I would recommend trying a few tubes before commiting to buy and you generally get better rates if you buy 25 doz.

6. Randomlegend

School
    I'd love to be able to buy 25 dozen, but I'm not buying for a club just for myself and I'm only a student so can't afford the outlay for 25 dozen.

The league is just a local thing administrated by the sports centre but you basically set the games up between yourselves (the players). Not ideal but I really want to play singles and it's all I could find in the area.

I'll look into the yehlex ones though, cheers, as well as the AF100s.

7. Randomlegend

School
    Sorry to bump this thread, but my club is currently looking into possibly changing shuttles due to increasing costs and so are considering shopping around a bit.

Currently paying around 14.50 (pounds) for RSL No.1s. I've had a quick look and that actually seems fairly comparable to if not better than anything I can come up with. Anyone else got any good ideas up their sleeves?

I've had a look at the Yehlex ones and the top grade come out more expensive but the second and third grades are cheaper if ordering in the right sort of quantities. Anyone tried either of them?

8. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

Ashaway commonwealth 30s are ok, good build but average durability,good prices (£12.80 starting price for 1 tube)

Ashaway International 500s are a better quality and last longer but start at £13.75.

I have also found carlton GT2 are a good quality and quite durable, but slightly heavier than the Ashaways. (GT3s build quality is poor, like a guy sneezed while gluing the feathers.) 13.99 /tube

Ill PM you the shop.

9. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

10. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Difficultly in recommending a brand/grade is due to durability. Yonex 20s may work great for one club & another will destroy them in 5 rallies.

Decent mid-range shuttles to look at are Victor Service, Yehlex Premiership and Yehlex Tournament. Most retailers will offer bulk discounts for the Yehlex.

Look on Central Sports, Maurice Robinson Sports and Badminton direct to compare prices.

For reference, most clubs within the Worcester league use Yonex AS30 and Yehlex Tournament.

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I have a suggestion. Buy a tube of each of the ones you think are going to fit the bill then make a decision. It will be worth it in the long run. Bear in mind that quality will still vary from batch to batch so you may have to change again.

FYI. We have started to find the Yehlex Premiership are fluffing up quickly in mens matches but they may work for you. In general most clubs in my area use AS30's but they are over-priced and the durability is poor.