User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a record, Sang Yang/Zheng Bo did show their potential in the junior days by winning the AJC & WHC title in 2000. Sang Yang even won the WJC title in XD the same year. No qualms on their potential talent. But to say that they DOMINATED over Fu/Cai is definitely arguable.

To be fair to Chai Biao, he did win one AJC title with Li Tian in 2011. So, he could be considered a child prodigy. LYB certainly did foresee big things for him since then. Remember he was paired with Guo Zhendong as the second pair after Fu/Cai right after Guo/Xu just lost to Alvent/Ahsan at the Asian Games Guangzhou 2010 then. And Chai did win his first SS title (correct me if I am wrong) with Guo relatively quickly in January 2011 (MAS SS)....which was their first tournament together (again, correct me if I am wrong).

2. Likes fathonezic, limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badMania View Post
    As a record, Sang Yang/Zheng Bo did show their potential in the junior days by winning the AJC & WHC title in 2000. Sang Yang even won the WJC title in XD the same year. No qualms on their potential talent. But to say that they DOMINATED over Fu/Cai is definitely arguable.

To be fair to Chai Biao, he did win one AJC title with Li Tian in 2011. So, he could be considered a child prodigy. LYB certainly did foresee big things for him since then. Remember he was paired with Guo Zhendong as the second pair after Fu/Cai right after Guo/Xu just lost to Alvent/Ahsan at the Asian Games Guangzhou 2010 then. And Chai did win his first SS title (correct me if I am wrong) with Guo relatively quickly in January 2011 (MAS SS)....which was their first tournament together (again, correct me if I am wrong).
    chai biao won wjc in 2007
    Last edited by limsy; 09-14-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rest of the world had better be more concerned that when CHN one day sort out their MD weakness, their weakest link for quite some time, what does that leave to others?

In CHN, every badminton enthusiast aspires to be a Lin Dan or maybe Li Xuerui, their doubles players have lower appeal or star status. In KOR, it's the other way round; maybe that explains why they produce so many doubles champions.

If I'm not wrong, in CHN, more often than not, most players start with singles and only go to doubles when they cannot do well in singles. Of course, there are exceptions, but too few.

I suspect if not for team championship requirements, CHN wouldn't even come up with Cai/Fu or LYB/TianBingYi in the past.

Anyway, coming back to Chai Biao and Hong Wei, the fact that they could recently win a couple of titles beating the best in the world , prove their potential and talents. It's just their personality clash or other extraneous factor that gets in the way. Whatever, CBA is sorting out the problems, splitting CB/HW is only the beginning. Liu/Qiu's uneven form also requires serious attention and study.

With CHN's depth of talents, it's a matter of time they work out something once they have the will to do it. I already noticed a few youngsters showing potential,eg Huang Kaixiang, Zeng Siwei, Li Junhui, Liu Yuchen, and other unfamiliar names.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Hong Wei play with Zhang Nan. They havent played together but could be good fit.

Anybody else think they could be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HW/CB did very well to make it to the finals of Japan Open beating Bo/Mo.

One thing that really impressed me is how much they have improved on their small shots and mid-court shots, while retaining their unstoppable smashing/attacking play. Their serve and returns have improved significantly as well as their mid-court pushes and net play.

If they keep improving on their weaknesses, they could be a great team.

7. Likes soulpx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    (since we are talking about A player,then we talking about individual event)
    this is something new i heard.when we talk about child prodigy,we have
    1,lee yong dae,6 ajc individual champion,2 wjc individual champion
    3,ratchanok,3 wjc individual champion.

chai biao didn't even win wjc in his main event(md).
    if chai biao was child prodigy(who only won 1 individual title each in wjc and wjc)
    then more than 10 single player and 20 pair can be called as child prodigy.
    'child prodigy' must be a cheap name tag
    even a player named "He Bingjiao" has been called child prodigy. everywhere, everytime, when there is a post about her, a "child prodigy" tag is always written in the post. no ajc title. no wjc title.

9. Likes limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fathonezic View Post
    even a player named "He Bingjiao" has been called child prodigy. everywhere, everytime, when there is a post about her, a "child prodigy" tag is always written in the post. no ajc title. no wjc title.
    i doubt if china can win ajc or wjc in ws this two year
    maybe in 2015

11. Likes fathonezic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fathonezic View Post
    Actually the standard dictionary definition for child prodigy is, for example, 'a prodigy whose talents are recognised at an early age', not necessarily based on titles won and awards. In tennis, 9-yr-old Gabby Price is classified as a prodigy even though she has not won anything. http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/eye-...nifer-capriati

Of course, it's arguable and highly subjective who a child prodigy is. For many people, those winning the AJC and WJC at age 18/19 for the first time are not considered child prodigies but Intanon Ratchanok winning the WJC at 14 is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    The rest of the world had better be more concerned that when CHN one day sort out their MD weakness, their weakest link for quite some time, what does that leave to others?

In CHN, every badminton enthusiast aspires to be a Lin Dan or maybe Li Xuerui, their doubles players have lower appeal or star status. In KOR, it's the other way round; maybe that explains why they produce so many doubles champions.

If I'm not wrong, in CHN, more often than not, most players start with singles and only go to doubles when they cannot do well in singles. Of course, there are exceptions, but too few.

I suspect if not for team championship requirements, CHN wouldn't even come up with Cai/Fu or LYB/TianBingYi in the past.

Anyway, coming back to Chai Biao and Hong Wei, the fact that they could recently win a couple of titles beating the best in the world , prove their potential and talents. It's just their personality clash or other extraneous factor that gets in the way. Whatever, CBA is sorting out the problems, splitting CB/HW is only the beginning. Liu/Qiu's uneven form also requires serious attention and study.

With CHN's depth of talents, it's a matter of time they work out something once they have the will to do it. I already noticed a few youngsters showing potential,eg Huang Kaixiang, Zeng Siwei, Li Junhui, Liu Yuchen, and other unfamiliar names.
    Perhaps China will have 1 or 2 very good MD pair in near future. There are many players who are good. But in the past few years, there were always good men doubles players from China. It is just that they found success in Mixed double than Men double.

I think that is because the rest of the world have some good MD combination that can match China, like right now, there are more WS players that can match China.

When you mention other factors such as personality clash, I am sure other countries have the same problem and they even have limited number of good doubles players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think actually Chai Biao is very good. fast at net and BIG SMASH from baseline.
    hmm, dont know who can be paired with him.
    but it can be seen clearly from their face that he is not suitable with Hong Wei.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or maybe they just have to swallow their pride and develop a partnership where both players contribute to discussions, similar to BoMo, for example. Personally, I think they have potential if they continue to develop their soft game and tactical awareness, they do struggle whenever they don't succeed with playing everything as hard as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the personality clash, but they don't seem too comfortable with each other. IMO the both of them have very similar styles and this gets in the way sometimes, both are big smashers from the baseline (though I have a slight preference for Chai's execution), though I don't think one really dominates at the net. If I have to choose, Hong is the better attacker at the net between the two. Though I feel they both have a preference to hit hard and smash a lot but lack the 'softer' play. When opponents don't lift as much (ie: BoMo @ Japan open, second half of Set2), then they run out of ideas. But I do find this to be the tendency for players who are huge smashers and lack the lighter touch. Anyhow, they will be split up for the Denmark/French Opens. Chai Biao will partner Cai Yun and Hong with Fu Haifeng. Interesting to see how those partnerships pan out, as at first glance, both strike me as quite odd pairings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chai Biao/Cai Yun is a pretty cool pairing, giving CB an outstanding net player with great allround skills to learn from and complement his preferred style of play. FHF/HW is a slightly odd pairing imop, but perhaps they can make it work - FHF has become much better at the net over the years, and Hong Wei isn't really weak around it either, so maybe they'll have similar success as HW/CB. Both younger players can certainly learn a lot from their seniors, who have won everything there is to win...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree with the complementary combo of Chai/Cai. Cb can learn a lot from his senior's net skills which complement his back court prowess. But I'm thinking whats weird is the potential dynamics between the two. Cai yun seems to be quite a dominating personality.. But I always thought cb looks more comfortable pairing with older partners.. Hong and fu are the odd-er pairing. But I guess LYB n gang paired them like that for a reason.. So lets see!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say I'm not convinced by the CB/CY pairing, they are too similar in their skillset and they don't seem to be a huge threat to the best competition... but I'd be happy to be proved wrong and see them succeed. I'm actually thinking FHF/HW would be a more interesting and potentially good pairing if they can merge well with each other.

Is the split of CY/FHF official now? Haven't read any news on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The news have mostly been in Chinese. The split doesn't sound like it's permanent. Though who knows. Seems like LYB and gang are adopting a wait-and-see approach with these two pairs. The main reason for their split was to give them a chance to partner younger players and guide them so to speak, with the 2016 Olympics in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I have to say I'm not convinced by the CB/CY pairing, they are too similar in their skillset and they don't seem to be a huge threat to the best competition... but I'd be happy to be proved wrong and see them succeed. I'm actually thinking FHF/HW would be a more interesting and potentially good pairing if they can merge well with each other.

Is the split of CY/FHF official now? Haven't read any news on it.
    They aren't similar in their skillset whatsoever....CY is the best net player China has, and Chai Biao is certainly lacking in that area....also CB is a pretty hard smasher, and while CY is not too much behind him in that aspect, he only developed his attacking play from the back court later in his career....FHF and CY both are pretty complete players, but if you consider their natural style of play CY is very net-oriented and FHF heavily favors back-court play. CB/HW both prefer to play from the back of the court, thus I think both would find that CY complements them better, but playing with FHF might actually help them more as he is more similar to their usual partner, only much more experienced and pretty much better in all areas

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast