Should I get a Voltric Z-Force?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Justheretoplay, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    I got a chance to demo a Voltric Z-Force 3U, but for some reason it was lacking the power in the smash I was looking for. Perhaps my technique wasn't the best since I haven't played a lot for the past six months. But when I used my other rackets, it was fine and my smashes felt decent compared to those delivered by the Z-Force. So my question is would getting a 4U help me deliver a stronger smash because I can't generate enough head speed with the 3U? or do I just need to spend more time with it to fully adjust to the extra head weight? To compare, I used a Z-Slash, VT70 and NS9000 and my smashes felt much more powerful than the VTZF even though the ZF is supposed to be a beast when it comes to smashes...

2. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I have a 4U Z-Force, the BP feels almost similar to a friend's 3U.. It really depends on the strings, I have BG66UM on mine, and he have BG65Ti, the 0.7 gauge will be very slightly heavier than the 0.66.

Also I have many overgrips on mine, so the BP is less head heavy.

I still feel the 3U has more power, though due to the head heaviness, I would want to overgrips a few layers to balance the BP...

Right, getting off topic here. Anyways, different rackets suit different people. From what you are describing, it seems you have quite a fast swing for smashes. When you use the VTZF, the head heaviness may have affected your regular swing speed, thus feel something is off.

If you still have your eyes on a VTZF, get a smaller grip 4U VTZF, then get some thin AC102EX and build the grip to fit your hand (unless you got tiny hand) and slightly balance out the head heaviness from there. Then your swing action may improve a bit.

As with the VTZF sweetspot, it really depends on your tension, string and your timing.. But seeing you can use the Z-Slash fine, there shouldn't be any issues.

3. Justheretoplay

Student
    I tried it with bg65, but both my Z-Slash and VT70 are strung with bg65 as well... Maybe it's due to the more headlight/aerodynamic frames I'm used to playing with that I'm hitting the bird later than I'm used to?

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO choosing a 4U VTZF doesn't make sense, if you can't use the 3U. Maybe it's the wrong racket for your abilities and technique.
    Smash are at a higher level of play, no winner shot's anymore. IMO it is nonsense to pick a racket only to have a stronger smash. It's wrong that stiff and headheavy racket produce the deadly smashs. It depends on your technique and swing type.
    I think placing, ankle and the ability to smash out of every position makes more sense than a ultra fast smash, which can easily returned, because the ankle is to flat and the placing is on your opponents racket.

5. Justheretoplay

Student
    All my other shots were quite solid but only couldn't get my smash off on this racket.
    Maybe I should get it and improve on my technique until I have the ability to wield it... :rolleyes:

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Maybe you need some time to adjust. If you can generate decent smash with a 9900 you should strong enough.

7. Justheretoplay

Student
    How powerful would a 4U Z-Force's smash compare to a 3U VT70?

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Seem like ZF is not the racket for you Since you get a decent smash from your other racket

9. Justheretoplay

Student
    Well it didn't seem like a bad racket other than the racket feeling dead when I smashed.
    Maybe the strings were strung too tight? Cuz when I was using it, the strings felt a lot tighter than my other rackets strung at 26lbs even though the people I demo'd it from said it was strung at 25 or so.

I'm just finding it weird that it's so much harder to generate a decent smash compared to my other rackets even though the extra weight in the head is supposed to assist me in that department.

10. heyhey

heyhey Regular Member

Floor Cleaner
    IMO, Z-Force series is consider a high end racket... Unless you had what it take to "tame a beast racket", you would find that most of the time, it is harder to wield it (you would achieve less with it compare to your other frequently used rackets). You would NEED a lot more power, i mean MORE to make it your own.. If not, I guess you would struggle...

My bro had came along the same line as you before, and decided to revert to his mid range racket and train on power.. before he breakout to those high-end series..Once you had the necessary raw power, the z-force racket would quickly turn to be your best friend ever~

#10 heyhey, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. OscarL

OscarL Regular Member

Student
    When I first got my Z-Force, my smashes were pretty bad lol it was like every 10 smashes, I get one decent one along with it. After a month or two of using it, I was booming smashes; easily the best I have ever hit in my life. I didn't try the 3U Z-Force for an extended period of time (I have a 4U) but I think all you need to do is adjust to the racquet.

12. Justheretoplay

Student
    How does the 3U compare to the 4U in singles play? Does the 4U lack the oomph of the 3U by a significant amount or do the benefits of a lighter, more maneuverable racket outweigh the lack of power?