User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Srilanka
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is their any advantage practicing in synthetic shuttlecocks?

    Matches are always played in feather. Every one knows plastics used for cost saving as it is more durable. But players in my club arguing it is good to practice in plastic for playing feather tournaments. They say if you can play in plastic then feather will be more easy as it is more controllable. Is that true?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In almost every area, there is no advantage to preparing for a feather tournament with plastic.

    The only advantage with plastic is that the shuttle flies much quicker than shuttle, so you will be able to improve your reflexes especially in smash defense as you get used to the speed of the plastic. So when you switch back to feathers, you will have already trained with smashes at a higher speed and can handle hard smashers with feathers. It's not a guarantee you will be able to, but definitely a good training technique with plastics.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Srilanka
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactim View Post
    The only advantage with plastic is that the shuttle flies much quicker than shuttle, so you will be able to improve your reflexes especially in smash defense as you get used to the speed of the plastic. So when you switch back to feathers, you will have already trained with smashes at a higher speed and can handle hard smashers with feathers.
    Yes they talked about defenses and returns.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    homeland
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But defending fast smashes is not (always) the point. Defending a variation of them, including slices and cut smashes, different speeds and trajectories is more important. And those are way different for feathers - therefore i would recommend feathers in training if possible. Think about your possibilities to return, too. You can slice, counterattack, drive, block etc. to defend the attack. To have the feeling for these shots is important and you should get it by training match-near situations eg. training with feathers.

    However training with plastic shuttles is still better than no training at all.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    www.badmintonbetting.blogspot.co.uk
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 96382 View Post
    However training with plastic shuttles is still better than no training at all.
    Agree.

    Would help to play with feathers every now and then in practice to remember how they feel. Otherwise you'll be out of touch and at a disadvantage.

  6. #6
    Regular Member diverdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mahinthan5 View Post
    Matches are always played in feather. Every one knows plastics used for cost saving as it is more durable. But players in my club arguing it is good to practice in plastic for playing feather tournaments. They say if you can play in plastic then feather will be more easy as it is more controllable. Is that true?
    There is no advantage, in fact you are at a disadvantage. The flight is different, the speed is different, the feel is different. If you want to practice smash returns tip the shuttles end feathers in and it will fly faster. I have a question for you. Would pros use plastics to practice with? Why / why not?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •