String Tension vs Time of Bird Spent In Contact With String Bed

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by JChen99, Nov 8, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone did any research/dirivations or experiments on this? Because just this tuesday, I broke the string on my main racket, which was holding at 26lbs, then i went over to using the same model/weight/gripsize racket with a string tension of 22lbs, boy was I in for something. For the lifts taht usually just reaches the baseline goes out for about another 1/4 of a court, and for the drops that usually creep over the net become absolute gifts for opponents that love to kill... but what disturbed me most was the fact that I the same swing speed/power i put into my smashes that gets me a good angle/speed goes so far down the net (probably with more speed tho) sometimes it even misses!

(previous part can kinda be ignored... jus got some little facts in them... what puzzles me is as follows :D)

I remember reading from previous threads that when the tension is higher, the bird spends less time in contact with string bed, and lower tension longer. However, I dont think that explains (or does it?) for the fact that the bird will leave the racket face and go on a flight path with less angle between racket face and floor. WHY IS THAT!?

ps. To compensate for the "loss of tension" I ended up going back to how I used to play - Choking up as much as you can until there is absolutely no cone for you to hold onto - and actually brought some of the shots back... But I'm certain that swing speed shouldnt be a factor in this, because I hold onto the same place on the two rackets.

Anyone with a better physics/math background than me (or just more experience with messing around with tensions) wanna help out? Be great to finally find out what went wrong that night...

err... hope u guys understand wut I'm trying to say... (after all it is 1am rite now @@)

THX!

2. Cerberos

Cerberos Regular Member

Granted that you have the same point of initial impact with the bird, rackets strung with lower tension should indeed result in a steeper smash trajectory, since the head will travel further (hence pointing more downwards) before the string bed releases the bird.
    I don't think it should make that big a difference, though. It would be interesting to see the impact time plotted as a function of the string tension.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think what you have encountered is an illustration of the higher tension = more control compared to lower tension = more power.

You indicated that on your clears with the lower tensioned racquet, the shots are out and similarily with the drop shots. If you keep using the lower tensioned racquet, you will adapt to that tension over time.

Now for the angle difference. At lower tension, the string bed deforms more and it is actually harder to control the angle that the shuttle will come off the bed as compared to a higher tensioned string bed that deforms less. Hence, the equation that higher tension = more control.

4. drift

drift New Member

I am actually writing an extended essay in physics on this topic. I'll let you know how it turns out in January when my paper is due. As of right now, I am only investigating string tension and rebounding characteristics of the shuttlecock. However I am thinking of manipulating my aparatus to give data that would allow me to calculate the time the shuttlecock spends on the string bed and thus, would lead information concluding string tension and control. But seeing as how there is a 4000 word limit, I am not sure how that will go.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Drift,

Please let us know when it is finished. I would think many BFer's would be very interested in reading your methodology, results, conclusions and references. (And we wouldn't have the 4000 word limit either;))

Thanks

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    don't worry about the word limit, you can divide your essay into several posts if you want. Good luck with your research.

7. drift

drift New Member

Thanks,
    I was thinking of uploading my essay actually, since its just going to be text I shouldn't have to worry about bandwidth. Oh yeah, about the limit, I was referring to the limit I have on the essay, and my teacher advises that my essay be actually towards the length of 3000-3500 words, as the most successful essays are in that range. I'll most likely have the data collection done before December and spend the bulk of my time writing the actual paper so I can probably post the gist of my conclusion before christmas, and then post the actual paper later for those interested.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Great, many thanks in advance.

Hope all goes well and you get a great grade.

9. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

I took this from my reply to the string tension post:

Ok I will try to make the argument more black and white.

After playing some badminton yesterday, I found that swing speed is THE factor to consider when finding your optimum tension.

Having left my racket in a relatively warm place for a week, the tension dropped quite considerably. I found that I wasn't hitting as hard as I used to. In fact, I found that slower swing speeds produced the same if not more power compared to higher swing speeds. In some cases I felt the shuttle being dragged back into the string bed. I wasn't very satisfied, so the following week I left my racket in my car boot. Tension increased and I found that higher swing speeds produced more power.

In conclusion, I feel it's right to say that, since most of us here have high'ish swing speeds, we ought to use higher tensions for more power.

Any feedback appreciated.

By any chance is that the 2004 Frontiers in Education Conference by IEEE? :D

10. drift

drift New Member

Actually, my extended essay is for my IB diploma (lol, International Baccalaureate, not International Badminton). It's similar to the AP program many highschools have in North America except its international, and its supposed to be more intense.

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    thx guys for your answers, I was quite satisfied with the explainations alreadi :D

drift, good luck on your essay and IB diploma. It's quite hard but since you've alreadi made it that far it should be a peice of cake for you! Hoping to see your essay here sometime soon!