User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 33
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default How come I can't clear coast to coast consistently?

    Been playing recreationally on and off for a long time. I think I have the correct clearing technique if those youtube badminton videos are any good. And I think I am fairly powerful, average at worst in the strength department. I find it very hard though to make a clear from my backcourt to the opponent's backcourt no matter what racket I use. What gives?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the clear is hard to master. A talented young girl can have a stronger clear than a big guy, so it's not about physical strength. The footwork is important, so that you're positioned behind the shuttle. body rotation and weight going forward. Don't try to muscle the shot. Your wrist loose and relaxed.

    You can also try lower string tention
    Last edited by vixter; 03-12-2013 at 10:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    12,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Show us a short video of your clears. It would help a lot.

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would also like to learn how to clear "coast to coast"...

  5. Likes whaithukhe, LD rules! liked this post
  6. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vixter View Post
    the clear is hard to master. A talented young girl can have a stronger clear than a big guy, so it's not about physical strength. The footwork is important, so that you're positioned behind the shuttle. body rotation and weight going forward. Don't try to muscle the shot. Your wrist loose and relaxed.

    You can also try lower string tention
    My string tension is 23 lbs. I'm sure it has lowered to about 20-21 lbs by now.

    Even if my friend set me up so I'm in perfect position it's still hard to reach the other backcourt. I'd think I should be able to go beyond the backcourt quite easily but that's not the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Show us a short video of your clears. It would help a lot.
    I'll try to record it when I play but I think it's a pretty standard textbook clear. I watch youtube instruction videos and follow them such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhe_rRJR9_Y

  7. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    think about hitting it forward rather than upwards

  8. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Even if you follow the instructions no one can tell if you exercise them correctly. There might be some flaw in you technique that you don't notice but a good coach would see.

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    12,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post

    I'll try to record it when I play but I think it's a pretty standard textbook clear. I watch youtube instruction videos and follow them such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhe_rRJR9_Y
    If your strength is enough, the shuttles are the right speed and the court the right length, it must be technique..

  10. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would guess it is because a) you do note pronate b) you hit the shuttle at shoulder's height

  11. Likes SSSSNT liked this post
  12. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Could be the shuttles... :P
    I find it extremely hard to clear baseline to baseline with a damaged "slow" feather shuttle, but with new ones its okay.

  13. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think my technique is pretty nice, i make sure that i go elbow first and then pronate my forearm. I can clear from the baseline near me to in between the two baselines on my opponents court, i can even make the shuttle reach farther, andi play with nylone slow shuttles (mavis 350). But i wanted to ask something, we are always asked to hit the shuttle flat and square in the direction we want to hit. But i think that when i pronate, my arm rotates a bit too much and the racket is not flat when it mets the shuttle, but makes an angle due to the over rotation/pronation of my arm (maybe the face os the racquet that meets the shuttle has already statred to face left). Maybe its just placebo effect, but how do you make sure that you meet the shutle flat and not over rotate/pronate?

  14. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLE.LUCKY View Post
    I think my technique is pretty nice, i make sure that i go elbow first and then pronate my forearm. I can clear from the baseline near me to in between the two baselines on my opponents court, i can even make the shuttle reach farther, andi play with nylone slow shuttles (mavis 350). But i wanted to ask something, we are always asked to hit the shuttle flat and square in the direction we want to hit. But i think that when i pronate, my arm rotates a bit too much and the racket is not flat when it mets the shuttle, but makes an angle due to the over rotation/pronation of my arm (maybe the face os the racquet that meets the shuttle has already statred to face left). Maybe its just placebo effect, but how do you make sure that you meet the shutle flat and not over rotate/pronate?
    If you 'rotate' you risk to hit the shuttle with an angle. But the pronation involves no angle, or no change of angle. The racquet is flat all the time

  15. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would say if you pronate but hit the shuttle with an angle, it is because your grip is not right.

  16. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If a player can clear to the baseline consistently when under pressure, even advance players will find this player hard to crack.
    Consistently clear to the baseline (under all kind of circumstances) is hard to do. No joke.

  17. Likes visor liked this post
  18. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Make sure you are using the basic grip, with the V of your thumb and forefinger slightly towards the diagonal bevel. This grip will make sure that when you pronate, the racket strings are parallel to the net.

  19. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Holy crap I don't do forearm pronation!!!

    Thanks guys!

  20. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Try to relax your muscles before you hit the shuttle.

  21. Likes captaincook liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •