User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 33 of 33
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    quite elementary but needs worthwhile mention.

    footwork...

    be sure you are not late in taking the shot and the shuttle is in front of you (rather than directly on top or behind)...

  2. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    If you 'rotate' you risk to hit the shuttle with an angle. But the pronation involves no angle, or no change of angle. The racquet is flat all the time
    That's impossible

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    If you 'rotate' you risk to hit the shuttle with an angle. But the pronation involves no angle, or no change of angle. The racquet is flat all the time
    But isnt pronation/supination basically rotation of the arm about the bone(imagine the axis of rotation to be a line passing throught the bone along the length of the bone)? I mean, initially, lets suppose for a forehand clear, the forearm is supinated a bit, then you try to hit the shuttle like a knife with the rim, but before the point of contact you pronate the forearm so that the racquet hits the shuttle flat. I read this: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...earm-Pronation
    What i fear is that while pronating, i either over pronate, or during the point of contact, i initially meet the shuttle flat, but the pronation is still taking place and i kind of make an angle towards the end of the point of contact, OR MAYBE, maybe because the face of the racquet that hits the shuttle faces right(i am a righty) at the end of the stroke, i think im not hitting it flat.

  4. #21
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,348
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^ to be able to hit the bird
    1. squarely
    2. in the sweetspot
    3. while pronating the forearm
    4. and extending the arm
    is asking a lot for someone to coordinate...
    but that is what's called technique

  5. #22
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,761
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post
    Holy crap I don't do forearm pronation!!!

    Thanks guys!

    Are you sure? Your forearm grip is definitely wrong then.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLE.LUCKY View Post
    But isnt pronation/supination basically rotation of the arm about the bone(imagine the axis of rotation to be a line passing throught the bone along the length of the bone)? I mean, initially, lets suppose for a forehand clear, the forearm is supinated a bit, then you try to hit the shuttle like a knife with the rim, but before the point of contact you pronate the forearm so that the racquet hits the shuttle flat. I read this: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...earm-Pronation
    What i fear is that while pronating, i either over pronate, or during the point of contact, i initially meet the shuttle flat, but the pronation is still taking place and i kind of make an angle towards the end of the point of contact, OR MAYBE, maybe because the face of the racquet that hits the shuttle faces right(i am a righty) at the end of the stroke, i think im not hitting it flat.
    Perhaps, or like Cheung said there must be an angle involved, but the angle (the racquet being not parallel to the net) is well before the contact with the shuttle, and after the contact. If there is an angle after the contact, it does not matter. If it influences the shuttles' trajectory, it must be because your contact with the shuttle is to slow. That is, you do not concentrate the speed, the muscle contraction, at the right time.
    but there are fair chances that you grip is not correct when you miss your clear.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    but there are fair chances that you grip is not correct when you miss your clear.
    I actually do not miss the clear. I get a good boom sound when i hit it right on the sweetspot, and i can clear from near the baseline to the baseline( i use slow mavis 350). And i have inititally concentrated a lot on getting the grip right (holding it (mainly) with your fingers, placing the "V" near the diagonal bevel for the basic grip, tightening of the grip on impact etc), so i think im getting the grip right. I even hit the shuttle where i want to. I think you are right about me not being able to concentrate the speed and muscle contraction right.
    Thanks everyone for pointing out possible mistakes. Ill try to keep these in mind the next time i hit the courts. Thanks again

  8. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    Perhaps, or like Cheung said there must be an angle involved, but the angle (the racquet being not parallel to the net) is well before the contact with the shuttle, and after the contact. If there is an angle after the contact, it does not matter. If it influences the shuttles' trajectory, it must be because your contact with the shuttle is to slow. That is, you do not concentrate the speed, the muscle contraction, at the right time.
    but there are fair chances that you grip is not correct when you miss your clear.
    Hi renbo,

    Just like to clarify your previous comment

    But the pronation involves no angle, or no change of angle. The racquet is flat all the time
    Pronation, by definition, means turning outwards. So there must be a change of angle and the racquet cannot be flat (I presume face on to the net) all the time.

    The act of pronation is the racquet face inwards and turning outwards. At the point of striking the shuttle, the racquet is facing forward and then continues in motion facing outwards.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Hi renbo,

    Just like to clarify your previous comment



    Pronation, by definition, means turning outwards. So there must be a change of angle and the racquet cannot be flat (I presume face on to the net) all the time.

    The act of pronation is the racquet face inwards and turning outwards. At the point of striking the shuttle, the racquet is facing forward and then continues in motion facing outwards.
    Very much so. But in the movement I would say the last half of the swing involves no angles. At least that is the way I do it!
    Now that I do the swing in my living room so to analyse it, I come to realize that the OP's problem is perhaps not hitting the shuttle with an almost 90 angle, but something like 75, thus giving a brushing sound unstead of a "pop", clear and crisp, and thus loosing most of the stenght of the shot. It is something I have noticed with a great number of players

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    home
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what is forearm pronation..i think am lost at the middle of the thread that i read..pls tell me or pm me..

  11. #28
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,348
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  12. #29
    Regular Member betazone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6qFJoySf8
    i know it is not exactly relevant (smash) but this is very useful
    -Not a power stroke, more of a technique.
    -Apply force diagonally, not vertically. This is achieved by following through.
    -Smashing can be broken down into 4 steps:
    1. Ready position--1:03
    2. Form a straight line with your arms and the path of the bird -- 1:05
    3. Bend your elbow, letting the racket fall behind you-- 1:07
    4. Swing with body turn. -- 1:08

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    Very much so. But in the movement I would say the last half of the swing involves no angles. At least that is the way I do it!
    Now that I do the swing in my living room so to analyse it, I come to realize that the OP's problem is perhaps not hitting the shuttle with an almost 90 angle, but something like 75, thus giving a brushing sound unstead of a "pop", clear and crisp, and thus loosing most of the stenght of the shot. It is something I have noticed with a great number of players
    This sounds like the problem to me, it used to happen when I bent my wrist forward to hit clears/smashes, but after fixing my technique, it never happened to me. It is like slicing under the shuttle slightly, which diffuses power at the contact point

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garylcyhk View Post
    Try to relax your muscles before you hit the shuttle.
    cannot agree more.....

  15. #32
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver bc
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    did some clear drills today i was very in-consistence, but these r what i learned:

    1. If you dont relax your body and muscles, u tend to hit with strength and arm which u generate less power!

    2. You have to hit shuttle at the highest point of your arm+racket can reach, of you swing circle.

    3. Force yourself to use the usually unnatural to all people, V natural grip!

    4. Only relaxing everything before impact can losen your racket and have it drop down behind you at the back swing, which generate effortless power.

    5. Pronate, or "snap" at the very point of impact, pretty much its the only point u hold tight and be tense onto your racket

    6. Again grip grip grip, your brain always wants to trick you to use panhandle grip! try to fight your brain and understand the basic mechanic!

    Sounds all obvious and easy but try to do it in a rally or drill or game involved totally different mentality. Just relax and believe your practice!

  16. #33
    Regular Member icey_drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post
    Been playing recreationally on and off for a long time. I think I have the correct clearing technique if those youtube badminton videos are any good. And I think I am fairly powerful, average at worst in the strength department. I find it very hard though to make a clear from my backcourt to the opponent's backcourt no matter what racket I use. What gives?
    Could be couple of factors

    One of the biggest ones is not moving behind the shuttle. You need to move behind the shuttle quick enough to have more forward movement into the shuttle to force it to the back

    Could also be other things like grip, technique, pronation, not hitting the sweetspot of the racket...

    Definitely has nothing to do with the racket that's for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •