Rear Court Tactics (Singles)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Chen Dan :D, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    Hi i was wondering what do alot of people do when forced to play in the rear court. Alot of the times i find it most difficult when i'm back peddeling but when i'm at the back, would the best tactic to be to force the opponent back or to play drop shots from the rear court to wait for the opening. In this case smashing is not an idea to use as my opponent has a very good touch and can direct my smash away to spaces with ease. Ideas appreciated..............

2. sagara0510

sagara0510 Regular Member

Student
    well...personally i would send the shuttle back and make him backpeddle...that way i have time to go back and position myself while he is backpeddling....

also if you try to drop it from back court, and ur opponent reads it or is in his neutral position in the middle, he'll have no trouble getting to it and just dropping it back or something....then u'll have to scramble all the way to the net from back court....i dunno how fast you are but i think i would have trouble making it

but anyway...have said that...mayb its best to mix it up...dun b too predictable

3. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

actually.... 20 years ago... the game was quite simple... just keep lobbing to your opponent until he makes a mistake and gives a half-court return... kill it....

4. Ashish

Ashish Regular Member

student
    if u feel like ur off balance.. shod clear it to regain some time to get back balance n get back to position..if balanced..do anything u want =|

5. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Depends on the situation - where you are at? where your opponent is? What are your opponent's weaknesses and can you exploit them? Who your opponent is and what level? etc. I don't think there is a precise formula on what best to do. It behooves you if you are aware of all the hints projected to you when playing and utilizing them to your advantage.

As an example, depends on the opponent, I have used a lot of smashes from back court away from the opponent (side smashes) during rally. Other opponent, I would smashed toward their body. I would lean more toward smashes because I sensed that I was fitter than my opponent (again as an example. There should be other attributes to consider and include too). Another example, I've also used disguised drop shots when I was in the back court because I noticed that opponent had difficulty on returning them.

Since you are back peddling, you might want to be aware of what shots caused you to back peddle in the first place. Is there anyway you can minimize them?

Good luck.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, just as Jayes said, it depends on the situation and your reading of the game and your opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

In general, it is easier for a player to move forward than backward. So back peddling will prove to be more cumbersome for most players.

Having said this, because you appear to be unstable or unbalanced, you may not be able to execute a good lop or clear to your opponent's baseline. If this is the case, to avoid a killer smash from him, a simple net drop directly in front of you may well do the trick but you must be ready for the return. A drop shot is easier to execute and is faster as it travels a shorter distance and may then be able to pressure your opponent into making a hurried return. However, if your opponent has anticipated your net return and moved forward, you must then play a different shot, preferable one that can travel above his racket nearer to his baseline. Try not to cross your return as you will then be exposed in many areas and at his mercy.

So, you are forced to think and it all boils down to a mind game.