Wilson BLX Fusion 2012 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by 7un4tran, Mar 16, 2013.

1. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    This is my first posted review of any badminton racket, so I am going to gauge everything in the category of defense, power, control, and feel on a scale of 1-10, 1 being garbage and 10 being amazing. I am also going to go in depth of my on court experience with this racket with clears, drives, defense, and smashes. As for describing the aesthetics, all you need to know is it is a shiny red racket and it does not have a base grip since Wilson wants to show off their innovative "Uni-Body Carbon Frame" handle which is different from the conventional wood handle. You just need do over grip the racket yourself. The racket weighs 74g which is incredibly light, is flexible, solidly head heavy, and overall 670mm.
    Once I got on the court and started warming up with clears, I noticed that it was quite effortless to clear shots from baseline to baseline weither it be forehand or backhand. I am coming from a Yonex Voltric 70 (84g), Arcsaber 10(89g), and Wilson BLX Vertex 2(89g), and I expected to lose power when switching to the 74g BLX Fusion. Wilson has turned lighter = less power theory into a myth. I also forgot to mention that the racket was factory strung which felt like between 18-20lbs, so that already meant less power than my usual 22lbs tension, but it felt the same.
    Now for drives, I usually do not struggle with drives when using the Voltric 70 due to the thin shaft and frame, but I start slowing down and getting sore with the Arcsaber 10. The BLX Vertex 2 seemed to feel like the middle of the Voltric 70 and Arcsaber 10 in terms of how little it drags through the air. As for the BLX fusion, this thing is a monster at drives compared to all 3 rackets. You feel like a natural as advanced players who drive at you struggle to keep the shuttle going as you move closer to the net and I'm only below average in recreational badminton. Drives are my worst trait and this racket took that problem away.
    Defense was always slightly more challenging with head heavy rackets like the Voltric 70, unlike the Vertex 2 and Arcsaber 10 which is reasonably good. Again, the Fusion delivers in this department even though it is ironically head heavy. I am only okay at defense, but I now can defend shots that were impossible before and that's probably because of the overall 74g weight of the racket.
    Finally, smashes. Voltric 70 is quite a monster for smashes, but there is very little difference with the Arcsaber 10 and Fusion. I am considered by many of my friends a reasonably hard hitter and the Vertex 2 definitely deserves a place up there with the Voltric 70, while the Fusion is identical in power with the Arcsaber 10. You can hear all these rackets roar when I smash with them.
    That being said, I will now gauge each racket based on power, feel, defense, and control.
    Voltric 70
    Defense 8.25
    Power 9 (Z-force=10)
    Feel 6.75
    Control. 7.5

Arcsaber 10
    Defense 8.5
    Power 8.75
    Feel 9.5
    Control 9.5

BLX Vertex 2
    Defense 9.5
    Power 9
    Feel 10
    Control 9.25

BLX Fusion
    Defense 10
    Power 8.75
    Feel 10
    Control 10

Hope this helps some of you out there. Later.

2. Apacs UK

Apacs UK Regular Member

Hey,

I have just bought 2 of them, how are you finding it now?

3. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I'm sorry, what do you mean how am I finding it now? Do you meanhow I feel about the racket right now having played with it for some time now?

4. Apacs UK

Apacs UK Regular Member

Yes, how do you feel about the racket having played with it some more?

I was considering buying the Arcsaber FB but the review by badminton coach put me off it and i saw your review along with a few others from France and that made me buy it.

thank you

5. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Ok I understand. I have tried out the Arcsaber FB myself and I must say, a mid flex towards stiff racket that weighs less than 80g did not do this racket justice in the power department. Net play with the FB and BLX Fusion seemed exactly the same to me. Both played incredibly fast at the net except I see non-power hitters will not do well with this racket compared to the BLX Fusion. Clearing the shuttle was pretty dissapointing and the FB's feel leaves much to be desired. For me the FB also took alot of getting used to. I'm about to buy another BLX Fusion once I save up since I believe I found "the one" for me.

6. Apacs UK

Apacs UK Regular Member

Awesome, well hopefully i like it to! I used to play with Apacs Armour Muscle Power 95 when we were importing them and that was nice but i am bored of it and it is quite an old racket now.

7. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I only played one Apacs racket that was 76g and I didn't like it. I normally like rackets between 84-90g with exception being the BLX Fusion. By the way, here's my take on the Arcsaber FB specs:
    Defense: 10
    Power: 6.75
    Feel: 7
    Control: 8

8. Apacs UK

Apacs UK Regular Member

Cool, you have a lot of rackets! I cant wait to get my hands on the Wilson Fusion, il write a little review after i have played with it. I use to play to a high level, now just for my region.

9. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Awesome! I wish you the best. By the way, I recently strung my Fusion with BG66 Ultimax at 22lbs and it is incredible!

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    This thread is useless without pix.

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What's the balance point on the Fusion? The websites say 342mm - that's EXTREMELY head heavy!

12. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Maklike Tier, you mean at least my racket pics? lol oops I'll do it in a little bit.
    llpjlau, did you find that on Wilson's main website? I don't really know how to guage that, but it doesn't feel as head heavy as my Z Force 88 LTD, though head heavier than my VT70.

#12 7un4tran, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013