Recording matches

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Cheung, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jonas

During the tournaments, it is common to see China, Korea and Malaysia recording matches with camcorders. (Presumably for the purposes of archiving, research and learning for future matches)

However, during this years HK Open, I never saw Denmark, Holland or England recording matches.

Is it something the Danish team have never considered? Or has the team considered it but felt it is not useful?

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Hi Cheung!

First of all, sorry ´bout the late answer :D

We do use this option in Denmark....Video is a great way of analyzing your opponents. Of course, we don´t have the same resources that fx China has. Actually, we had a guy doing the videotaping for us in a period of time, but only in the biggest arenas.

When we get ready for a match at the tournaments now we see video of our opponents the night before if we have any :)

Kind Regards

JR

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hehe 6 years isn't toooooooooooo long for an answer :p

4. JR

JR Regular Member

Haha, no....Guess this is where better late than never fits in :D

JR

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hehe. Surprised you don't actually video more matches.

It's something to consider. Now it's easier becasue everything can be filed easily on hard disk rather than tapes.

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Another thing, recording a video of yourself playing could also help you notice your strenghts and weaknesses.

Hi JR, what do you mean by "we don´t have the same resources that fx China has"?
    What resources specifically?

(should I wait for another 6 years for the answer??? :p :D just kidding)

7. JR

JR Regular Member

Haha, no, not 6 more years.

I think I didn´t explain this well enough. We do in fact record a lot of video when we are at the tournaments and use it to analyze our future opponents :)

China has a huge team every time they travel and they also have many coaches and staff working back home. Normally, we only have one or two coaches and at the important tournaments we also bring one physio.

The amount of money that China spend on their badmintonteam is vast compared to the danish federation.

Kind Regards

JR

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow. Talk about compensating for the lost six years. Thanks man for the fast reply. :D

Seems like China really allots a big slice of pizza for their baddy team. You're right. I can see that Chinese players are well taken cared of.

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

What do you analyse?

Pro's don't really have weakness's.

Do you analyse shot selection , and what sort of shots they like to play.

Or like , if they are at strong at the net etc.

Also what does your coach say , when the game stops for breaks (end of games/mid-game intervals)

10. JR

JR Regular Member

Well, I must disagree....professional players do have weaknesses :D

But we use the video to get a feel of how the opposition plays and if you have a gameplan or routineshots.....

The thing to remember regarding video is that you may face a totally different gameplan against your opponent than you saw on the video. Especially if it wasn´t yourself on the video. Because they might have changed their strategy from the last meeting also......

In the end video does provide good information on your opponent, but the key thing is to be able to change strategy during the game. If you can´t you´ll likely to run into players who are very good at reading your game and eventually you´ll loose those games. Highlevel players must develop more than 1 or 2 gameplans in order to be able to beat all the pairs out there....

Our coach says a lot of different things during the breaks....depending on the situation......

JR

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well there's lots of things that you can see when pros play.

Taufik Hidayat likes to smash crosscourt from the around the head position when he does a jump.

LCW likes to use forehand slice crosscourt smashes and drops.

Cai/fu like to play with Fu in the back, same with Koo/Tan, Jung/Lee, Kido/Setiawan.

There are just all of these patterns in play which can be revealed through careful court analysis.

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    In a tournament, me and my partner watch our possible opponents and discuss the kind of strategy that they have. It's easier in club tourneys because weaknesses are very obvious. And unlike in the elite level, there are only a handful who can change their style of play in the middle of the game.

Mainly, we look out for the weaker player. There has to be one in a pair. Usually, in a team, theres a playmaker (who controls the phase), a smasher (who does nothing but smash smash smash), a placer (who focuses on the placement ... usually the matured ones :D), the lifter (who does nothing but lift, clear, etc), and the weak defender.

We usually look for the weak defender. Once we find him, we smash towards him.

This is in the club tournament level. But I'm sure, in the elite level (as I usually see in videos), there has to be someone who's weaker in the defence category.

Players in high-level badminton are expected to be good in every department. But I'm sure, in one of those departments, there's an Achilles' heel.

Just my opinion.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Can we get Mr. Laybourn back in BC???..

JR, speaking of being able to change strategy during the game, can you call your buddy, Mr. Laybourn to stop by BC just to say hi to some of us. We'd like to give him a congratulatory greeting for his WC XD title, as well as to hear him share his experience...Hopefully he's off his victory high..:cool:
    ..for a second, i thought you were implying you guys actually play 5 on 5 badminton?!?!..:confused:

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Haha. Sorry. My comment could be easily misconstrued. I should have noted that these are the types of players that I usually see in club tournaments.

I would love to hear from Mr. Laybourn. Maybe he's still on cloud nine after winning the championship. :D

15. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm yes , so JR can you reveal some game plans , that you do on certain players? :rolleyes:.

Or is it top secret:p.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Does it help? Sometimes I think its waste of time or maybe the input from coaches might in fact confuse the player even more???