Location of 2013 superseries final

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2013' started by Cheung, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Does anybody have any info on where it will be this year?

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

My guess is high possibility China again? It would be nice if it is staged in European continent.

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

It's be close to Christmas, when it's cold and I don't think European people would love to travel during this busy time to watch a badminton tournament.

4. george@chongwei

They can always postponed to January.:D If i'm not mistaken, few years back they held the 'year-end' super series final in January. Pls CMIIW.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

so the main thing is that it's not been set.

6. event

event Regular Member

Right. The good news is that the announcements have been coming earlier and earlier each year. In 2007, we found out at the very last minute that it would be cancelled, then in 2008 and 2009, the announcements came roughly 6 weeks prior to the tournament. In 2010 and 2011, we found out in late August, then last year, it was announced in June. Who knows? We might even get a venue by Sudirman Cup week this year.

As for the bumping of the 2010 edition into January of 2011, I believe it was made clear at the time that the Superseries schedule interruptions from the Commonwealth and Asian Games made that necessary.

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It will be in kuala lumpur.....

8. george@chongwei

DATE could be from December 11-15

9. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Wow, Kuala Lumpur (& Malaysia) is doing well with Badminton events. First the Sudirman Cup 2013, then PSS status for Malaysia Open, and now the Super Series Finals. Well done.
    Hope Malaysia can convince China to send their 'qualified' players for the SS Finals because as I understand, it will be their winter break before China 'concentration' training in Jan & Feb. :)

10. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    Is this 100% certain Sir? Sorry to ask if anybody else could confirm this because I would certainly book early to witness this event in KL. Most likely at Bukit Jalil like the past Malaysian Open right? Thanks!

11. george@chongwei

Yes, if it is a major badminton tournament, most probably it will be at stadium putra, bukit jalil.

12. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    Any link showing the detailed report on the updates of this upcoming tournament? Thanks!

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BAM willing to host Super Series Finals but with two conditions

Saturday June 22, 2013

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/6/22/sports/13273063

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are willing to host the BWF’s Super Series Finals from Dec 11-15 – but with two conditions.

They want the Badminton World Federation to guarantee that the national body will make profit and that all the top players will turn up for the premier event.
    The US$500,000 Finals will be the BWF’s season-finale of their two-tier Super Series tournament.

All the top eight singles players and top eight pairs, after completing a total of 12 legs – five Premier Super Series and seven Super Series – will feature in the finale.

The sixth leg of the series is being held in Singapore.

BAM general manager Kenny Goh said that they had learnt their lesson from hosting the Sudirman Cup at the Putra Stadium in May.

Then, according to him, BAM suffered a loss of about RM500,000. In fact, the daily average attendance was less than 2,000 people, including the athletes and officials.

Under the BWF’s new ruling, the host of a major event can only take a smaller percentage of the profits.

“It all depends on the guarantee that the BWF can give us.

We should be able to make a profit and promote our event – by getting the top players to come,” said Kenny.

“In the past, top players have shied away from the Finals.

“We have sponsors who are willing to come in but we must be clear of BWF’s stand in giving the host some kind of advantage in terms of making a profit.”

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well that's the end of KL as a venue.

How can BWF 'guarantee' a profit? :D Unless BWF would cover any loss.

Regarding possible poor attendance, responsibility is on BAM.

15. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    A fixed revenue sharing before P/L calc?

Of course BWF can, in case the host country suffers loss, the BWF just gives back its revenue-sharing portion (not a fresh money from BWF's own pocket), in full or at the most part. I believe there's a certain fixed revenue sharing formula BEFORE the P/L calculation, with newly increased sharing percentage for BWF, which increases the host financial burden or risk.
    Consequently what constitutes COST or operating budget must be discussed and agreed in advance (be transparent) between the host and BWF.

But my very guess, as all other sport organization's behaviors, esp. those having some muscles: "profit or revenue is ours; loss is yours!" --> "take it at your own risk and at our own terms" :D

Indeed it's quite logical and fair that BWF must give additional assurance that top players surely will attend to help the good attendance and sponsor & commercial commitments!
    However, if top players do come but the stadium still has poor attendance, then all the faults definitely belong to the incompetent OC :p

16. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    I honestly believe the conditions/requirements asked for by BAM are legitimate and fair. Make sure first that all the top 8 players in each category will come and I have very little doubt they won't get enough earnings. Me my self for instance would go there, I am from the Philippines.

Please update us ASAP on the final verdict as to where this finals tournament would be held.

Many thanks!

17. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I can see where BAM is coming from. If attendance is pathetic like Singapore, they will lose money. But if it is amazing like Indonesia, it will better for all parties!

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if attendance is pathetic like MALAYSIA AGAIN,they will lose money AGAIN

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    do local organizers get a fixed percentage of all revenue (ie, sponsorships, ticket sales, media rights, merchandises/licenses deal)?

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member