Difference of Pro's pro and Tyger machines

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by sAmurai86, Mar 17, 2013.

1. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

Hi again,

so I've finally overcome the obstacle of terminology but still looking for a beginners stringing machine :3

I find it very hard to make out a difference of some specific machines and because of that I don't which machine to go for.

First I thought that the Tyger StringProfi 52 was really nice, but then I noticed, that there are some Pro's pro like Pioneer II and Challenger II which offer the exact same features: Dropdown weight, fixed clamps, 6-point attachment, etc, but only cost half as much as the StringProfi 52.

First of all: why are there two versions of the same machine from Pro's pro (Pioneer and Challenger cost exactly the same). I can't really make out a difference.
    And second: what makes the StringProfi 52 cost twice as much as the Pro's pro machines? Material, quality, brand?

I really hope someone of you can help me with a decision or maybe just point me in the right direction as I'm an absolute beginner on that topic.

Best regards!

2. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I was looking at the stringprofi 52 as well, but the shop I wanted to buy it from recommended the Stringway BL90. I'm very satisfied with it. It's using a unique mounting system where the frame is supported from the inside.

It's constant pull and the tension is always what you set it at independend of the angle of the arm. You just pull the arm up, and put the string in between the "jaws" of the tension head, then let go of the arm (support it until it stops) and you're done. I often leave it tensioned while stringing the next part so the machine gets a little bit of slack out of the string.

I've already done 30+ rackets on it, and if it breaks (has 10 years guarantee) I would buy the same machine again.

I'm using yonex flying clamps with it, and that's working fine (after looking at Kwuns instruction video on starting mains with a flying clamp ;)

3. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

Hi thanks for the answer!

I was thinking about the BL90 as well, but the mounting system looks very awkward to me, but that doesn't mean much since I'm a beginner.

But according to this picture it looks more like a 2-point mounting system and I'm trying to get at least 4-point (just to be safe). Or is the mounting system really safe even at higher tensions?

At the moment I really tend to the StringProfi 52. Just to be safe quality-wise...so I ideally don't have to buy another machine in this life :3

4. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

The stringway has 4 places where it holds the racket from the inside, as well as 3 brackets to hold it down. You cannot compare these to "normal" 4 or 6 point mounts. I use a different mounting than the official manual, which the shop recommended to me (they use the machine for all their badminton stringing). I've not had any problems with breakage or deformation. Stringing the crosses with 0.5kg (~1lbs) more than the mains, which is a smaller difference than with other equipment.

Overall I'm very satisfied, but I have no experience with other machines. But the accuracy (no calibration needed) and the ease of use (I often see youtube clips where they have to 'rattle' the arm to get the correct tension and a 100% level arm) combined with the constant pull (which you're missing with a crank for instance) were enough to convince me to buy this slightly more expensive machine.

5. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Correction, it hold the racket at 5 places... 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, and 1 bottom-center

6. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

Ok thanks a lot. I'll definitely have another look at the BL90 =)

Does anyone have information about the quality of the StringProfi 52 compared to Pro's pro machines?
    I've read in other forums, that the racquet mount moves quite a bit when tensioning but the quality overall is quite good considering the low price. Any experiences?

7. conosen

conosen Regular Member

The difference with the stringway mounting system is that it absorbs the forces directly with all 5 points. Most other mounting systems only absorb the forces driectly with the 2 points on 6 and 12 o'clock and the other 4 points indirectly, because they support the frame from the outside. So in my opinion the stringway mounting systems supports the racket way better than most of the other system.

8. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

And with those things I mean the Pro's pro. I haven't read much about the StringProfi 52 though.

Why is there no edit function? :p

9. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    If you want more information about the stringway machine, you can read this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...aserfibre-MS200TT-Review?highlight=laserfibre

This was the company that sold the stringway machines in USA for a while. I had this machine before with the double action fixed clamps.

Here are some pics: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...our-stringing-machines!?p=1880600#post1880600

My advice to you, is if you intend on buying the Wise2086 electronic tensioner in the future, i'd buy a different machine because you cannot mount it (without serious modification). The Wise 2086 provides an adapter that should support the other drop weights you mentioned earlier (including the pro's pro).

Hope this helps.

10. DarthHowie

I forgot to mention that my made a modification to my machine by ordering an additional head plate such that i had 6 internal points of support instead of the normal 5.

All these costs ran up quite a bit:
    Machine + additional plate (to get 6pt support) + double action fixed clamps which would probably add up to a Pro's Pro Challenger + Wise 2086 + nominal amount of cash. That's why i suggest that to you go with the other drop weight so that you have the flexibility to upgrade in the future when you have enough cash from stringing rackets.

11. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

I've seen that a lot of users in this forum upgraded their machines with the WISE 2086, but that was actually not my intention since it is quite expensive.

I've ordered a StringProfi 52 together with Yonex flying clamps. Hope I get a high quality machine that will provide me a good service for the next several years :D

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

12. DarthHowie

Congrats to ordering your machine. Looks like that machine will still give you the option to upgrade to a Wise2086 if you ever change your mind in the future.

Looking forward to you posting pics and a review of the machine.

13. sAmurai86

sAmurai86 Regular Member

Thanks! I'll definitely try to put up some pictures and a review although this being my first machine, so I don't really have a reference.