Need help to resolve scoring system in round robin system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by b0urg301s13, Mar 17, 2013.

1. b0urg301s13

b0urg301s13 Regular Member

Technopreneur
    Dear forumers,

We are going to organize a small scale tournament and we are facing some difficulties in regulating the system.

We have opted to use the round robin system followed by the elimination.

So, we will have 4 pools in the round robin, with each pool containing 4 pairs. The pairs will play with one another, and only the top 2 pairs from each pool will advance to the quarter final stage of the elimination round. We will be using a 21 point non-rally scoring system, with a change of side after 11 points.

The problem arises, when there are 2 or more pairs achieving the same number of wins in any one pool. I have come up with the idea of using the score differences (point received - point given) to determine who will advance and who will not. I think this is a standard issue.

However, I need a solution in the case of any one pair having a walkover over another. There is a possibility that one pair forfeits one match due to any circumstance, but plays the other matches against the other pairs. Should this happen, how many points should we give the winner and the loser? i dont think a 21-0 is fair, because the winner doesnt have to sweat it out, and the loser may actually have a valid reason for forfeiting the match.

This may become a problem if in the end of the round robin stage, there is a tie number of wins between 2 or more pairs in the same pool, cuz then we will have to resort to the score differences.

Any solution is appreciated. My apology if this has been posted before. Many thanks.

#1 b0urg301s13, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    if you just use total number of points gained, then calculations will be easier. No need to make an aggregate score. If one team gives a walkover, then count that team's previous matches in the group as a loss of 21-0

If two teams have the same wins and same number of points, then choose the one who won when both of these played against each other.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Per BWF regulations, any walkover, retire, no match, disqualification means all their matches in the pool play do not count.

The procedure for tie-breaker then goes:
    Games won - games lost,
    if there is still a 3 way tie,
    Points Won - Points lost.

If there is a two way tie, I think it goes by h2h results. And technically after points won - points lost is a coinflip, but if there's 3 way tie still, I don't know how that is decided by a coin flip???

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Ok so what I said but the last option is drawing lots instead of flipping coin. ^^

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

this is the standard line in any tournament i've played!

7. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Should they tie in number of matches won, I would say just count the number of sets won, then points won

If a pair forfeits they should expect the worst and lose the match 21-0, 21-0 and will most likely not pull through

8. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    ^^^ The issue here is it's only 1 set game of 21 points (not-rally point system, but the old scoring system).. So it's only 1 set in one match.

The issue here in question, is not about the team, who forfeit their matches, but the other 3 teams in that group.(who might have reached in a 3 way tie. A > B, B>C , C>A)..

As mentioned,
    "Per BWF regulations, any walkover, retire, no match, disqualification means all their matches in the pool play do not count".

So now it's only 3 teams in that group, to qualify, and each has won 1 game (1 game = 1 set).

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...6-How-is-ranking-determined-within-each-Group

Rule 16.2.3 is not able to decide a clear winner here as A>B, B>C, C>A and the it's 1-Set games.

So the Rule 16.2.4 will apply here. (Calculate the Total.Points.Won - Total.Points.Lost, and a player with higher difference will be the winner.)

If still tie, then the next rules will come into action..

-Ashaan.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    try 16.3..

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If 2 teams have the same total # of W, then the head-to-head record will be used for the tie-breaker. If 3 teams have the same total # of W, then number of lost sets will be kicked in.

11. b0urg301s13

b0urg301s13 Regular Member

Technopreneur
    Thanks everyone, we will abide by the bwf regulation. The tourney is coming up soon and we are very thrilled about it.