How to train to react to different shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by OscarL, Mar 18, 2013.

1. OscarL

OscarL Regular Member

Student
    So recently I feel my play has been getting worse than before. I am known for being really fast in moving around the court but now I find myself seeing the shuttle being hit and where it's headed but my body does not move properly to get it. If I'm in mid court and there's a slow drop shot, my feet just start moving awkwardly and I get to the drop late or I don't get it at all. I do the split drop and my reaction is pretty good from doubles so are there any tips on how to improve this?

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Are you absolutely sure you aren't trying to anticipate where the bird is being hit as you're "waiting"? If you're perfectly balanced and do not move until right after the bird has left his/her racket (provided you know where it's going by that point); there's no way you'd be slow if you are known for your speed. Your reaction is "good" in doubles because even if you get caught going the wrong way, your partner can still bail you out. Can't play like that in singles; if you start moving before the bird is hit, a more advanced opponent will catch that quickly and just mess with you all day. If they address the shuttle well in advance and hold it for a long time and you still employ that method, you have ZERO chance of getting to the shuttle early and basically all you'd be doing is trying to recover.

Sometimes speedy players get caught out by being TOO fast in that they are not perfectly in balance, the shuttle's trajectory catches them off guard, and then instad of being able to reach the shuttle and playing the shot with initiative, they've now been caught into a defensive position.

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    if u already know the footwork drill, rope skipping.... it is time to try a little weight training for your quad. Let us know if u r more "explosive" after a month.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here you have to work with somebody to find the problem.

Is it a question of footwork? A fast footwork reaction in doubles doesn't mean you can be fast in singles.

Do you hae a high centre of gravity that inhibits your acceleration?

Is it not being able to read an opponent's shot so that you cannot anticipate so well?

Is your court positioning to close down areas of the court poor?

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Has there been any significant change in your diet or lifestyle recently?

6. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    Usually in doubles you should smash more often when your foes give you a lift or clear.In singles it may depend on your foes position.If he/she is at back court you could make a drop or drop smash.If he/she is in mid-court, make a smash/net kill or sweep the shuttle sideways into the front court.If he/she is in front court make a lift/clear/smash/net kill.(P.S.Take note of the position of the shuttlecock and practice your footwork):):cool: