User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

while it should not be compulsory that player speaks English, fans do appreciate it when players try to communicate with their fans.

after winning the AE final, Liliyana and Tantowi both spoke a little English to thanks their fans. Liliyana did better than Tantowi but whether their English was good or bad didn't really matter, what really matters is that they tried to.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The common language for communication for all critical operations worldwide is English. Air Traffic Controllers and airline pilots for example, need to have the ability to communicate clearly in English. It reduces the chances of messing up the countryside with unwanted airline and body parts.

That being said, badminton is still far from being classified as a critical operations area, worldwide...
    what do you mean? tens of thousands of BC members will die if we don't have badminton.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am available for translations to & from English to
    Hindi
    Chhattisgarhi
    Marathi
    Sanskrit
    Gujrati
    Punjabi
    Bhojpuri
    Bundeli
    Khadi
    Magadhi
    Oriya
    Bengali
    Rajasthani
    Haryanvi
    Pahadi
    Bagheli
    Surgujhiya
    Aghariya

Alas! nobody needs it.... They all know English here in India atleast the ones who are related with sports.
    On the other side how hard it is to speak 4-5 sentences, Say Thank you to fans,God. I love you all and a few words on what they did correctly in the match and that the opponent is a quality one its always exciting to play against but may be today wasnt a good day for him/her.

Regardless while one is travelling it helps to roam around, go shopping, meet and talk to people and gel with them if you have a common language, I have been to places where there has been no common language between me and the local people and those have been terrible times for me. (Yes, thankfully people do understand a sign language & thats what I had to resort to at last in such places) but I would certainly enjoy the place much more myself if I get to communicate with the people.

Its a necessity these days! not just a nice to have thing. This is what I would say from a player's per se.

From the other side of the fence I would say let it be with the individuals, everybody grown up knows what is good or bad for them & how and with whom they want to interact. Its good if they do so in English but if not, I would appoint translators to translate what they are saying into English for the world audience myself. No pressures on my players please to work on & give time to, onto something they are not meant to do, their job is to play and let them channel their efforts into that direction only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic: what are the body language used in badminton? The most common one is probably request to change birdie. Sometimes I see the player holds up his racket as an apology when the birdie hits the tape and changes its flight, or when it hits the other player, but I'd guess that it's unofficial? Actually I think this is totally off topic. Never mind.
    Last edited by kaki!; 03-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaki! View Post
    Slightly off topic: what are the body language used in badminton? The most common one is probably request to change birdie. Sometimes I see the player holds up his racket as an apology when the birdie hits the tape and changes its flight, or when it hits the other player, but I'd guess that it's unofficial? Actually I think this is totally off topic. Never mind.

Just one thats - Sign language.

I dont think you meant the gaze or the looks to kill or raise of fists, nothing like that, coz then I would have said everybody has of their own developed at their backyard!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend who is a school teacher in Malaysia and she told me that those educated in a chinese school can write and read very good in english but when comes to speaking, its not so good. She told me that they study to pass the exam and exams are only in writting, so the lack of conversation since young is the reason they cant speak well in english. I believe most is the same, they know what you are talking about, they just have problem expressing what they want to say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not easy for a person from East Asian to learn a western language, maybe a French/Spanish/Italian man can learn English very fast, because their mother language belong to Western European series. But it's also not easy for Chinese/Korean/Japanese people to learn each other's language. I know that Chinese and Korean players do not spend much time at school so their language capability is poor. But for people from Singapore/Hong Kong/Malaysia (with multiculture environment), English is much more used in their life, so the players can speak English more or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    Not like European, the Chinese education does not provide 2nd or 3rd language in their curriculum.

Same for Japanese, most of them just good at Japanese and not other language.
    ---
    Nope, Japanese have English lesson in the primary school. They just did not apply or use what they learn as they do not not interact with the language with their peers. They also do not have chance to interact with foreigners at that age. Most can understand a bit as they grow up but could not speak it though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can remember that the guy who is commentating together with Gill Clark said in a few matches ago:
    "The "new" generation of the Chinese players like Chen Long and all the upcoming newcommers get some English lessons for being able to communicate just a bit on the court with other nation players and with the umpire".

I think that is a really good step.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Badminton wants to become more popular not just in Asia but also in the rest of the world, I think it is absolutely necessary that the biggest Badminton stars are able to communicate in English.

BTW: I just can't imagine people traveling around the world all the time not being able to speak at least a little bit English.
    Last edited by Ton-Min-Bad; 03-22-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton-Min-Bad View Post
    If Badminton wants to become more popular not just in Asia but also in the rest of the world, I think it is absolutely necessary that the biggest Badminton stars are able to communicate in English.

BTW: I just can't imagine people traveling around the world all the time not being able to speak at least a little bit English.
    The statement "all the time" seems to be a only a mis-impression...

you can count how many badminton tournaments are held in English speaking countries? And how many of them are attended by Asain particularly these Chinese players....

By the way, many of my Westerner friend do travel around Chinese cities almost all the time but not really can speak a little bit of Chinese...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    The statement "all the time" seems to be a only a mis-impression...

you can count how many badminton tournaments are held in English speaking countries? And how many of them are attended by Asain particularly these Chinese players....

By the way, many of my Westerner friend do travel around Chinese cities almost all the time but not really can speak a little bit of Chinese...
    I could be wrong, of course. So you think it's possible to travel to all these tournaments (even in Asia) and be around with all these players from other nations without speaking or understanding at least a little bit of English?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are too busy in training, having no time to learn English.
    他们忙着训练,哪有时间来学英语啊?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3