English. Important language

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nismo333, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Nismo333

Nismo333 Regular Member

Hello guys

I've remarqued, that the most great players from China, or Korea, can't any words in English. I don't know why they don't learn some words or sentences. You're one of the best player and when you won a title, you just tell some words in your language....

I know, it's not easy to learn a new language, but when you just say some words, the fans love that. It doesn't matter, when you say some wrong words or when the sentences is not correct. We know what they mean, so that's ok. I think, it also represent your country much better than a dolmetscher.

I hope some chinese or korean guys here in the Forum could tell that to the professional players. Or maybe you have a reason, why they don't want to learn english or maybe a second language.

Cheers

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Why don't you learn their language in order to know what they are talking? I am learning...

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

We also learn Italian and Japanese when we are fond of their culture.

4. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Not like European, the Chinese education does not provide 2nd or 3rd language in their curriculum.

Same for Japanese, most of them just good at Japanese and not other language.

Coz these countries are not like India, Singapore and Hong Kong where they were used to be British colonies.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I understand the OP's point of view. When you admire a player, you wish you could hear them speak or read their words in press clippings or on their fan page.

But when one's goals and whole day are taken up trying to be the best in the world at something, you can understand if they don't spend a lot of time on languages. Especially if they don't have the gift for languages, or grew up in a unilingual area like much of China and North America.

Personally I have realized my failings in French, Vietnamese and Cantonese, so I can easily forgive my hero, Sony Dwi Kuncoro, for not being fluent in English.:eek: (Darn you SDK!)

6. Higher

Higher Regular Member

What language are you learning now?
    I wish I could speak Chinese.
    Do you know where/how to learn it the most efficient way?
    Any best website which offer how to learn it?

Cheers.

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

the best way is to attend a school. :D I am learning Japanese by myself currently. But I don't think it is very effective. Still I think it's better to attend a school.

8. Higher

Higher Regular Member

Of course that's the best way! My friend went to Taiwan for studying Mandarin, and something happened and forced him to home. He'd been there for just one year, but since then he's been teaching mandarin :eek:.

I don't have time for attending school or take a course, too bad. That's why I want to learn it online :).

9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

what happened to your friend? :eek: Of course you can learn it online, but it's just not so effective. But at least, I believe you are able to learn some basic's to be used in daily conversation. :D

10. Higher

Higher Regular Member

Nothing happened to my friend, his grandfather (or other member family, I forgot) passed away that time.
    No, I don't want the basic's one, I want to master it fully:D .
    It seems you know Chinese, would you mind to teach me patiently;):p .

I hope someday I can speak Chinese.

Back to the topic, I think no one can force the top player (from China and Korea, or Japan) to speak English, however, it'll be much better if they can, for the good of the sport (to be more known globally) and themselves (if you are a top player, good looking, know how to speak English well enough, more money will follow next). One best example is Li Na.

But there are many reasons why most of them can't/won't speak English, if they invest (or "waste" :eek:) their time to learn English, meaning they have to reduce their time for their families or for practicing badminton.

11. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

haha... yes, I know Chinese. I can teach you if you don't mind. But my teaching skill is not that good. :D I agree with you. English is an international language, at least they need to know some English that use commonly in badminton. It will be good if countries like Japan, China and Korea conduct an English class during the weekend to the players.

12. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I appreciate your opinion and idea to learn new languages, however, the whole standpoint of yours is very biased and rooted in mis-understanding.

First of all, you mentioned that to learn English for the fans, then how many fans of badminton can speak English? and how many fans of badminton can speak Chinese? The fans who speak English are definitely outnumbered!

How many top players are ethnic Chinese? Not only all players from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and also most players from Malaysia, Singapore, even Indonesia are ethnic Chinese. The native English speaking players are also outnumbered!

Based on Chinese are more widely used not only in badminton fans, audience, viewers, spectators, but also used by the best players, then why did you ask all the players to learn Chinese? at least a few words.

But I didn't see any non Chinese speaking players even learned any Chinese words, and on the other hand, all the players are learning English, even though the levels for Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are not high.

The reason is also simple, the whole Asia, Africa, America (both north and south) had been colonized by Europeans, especially the Brits, EXCEPT China, Japan and Korea (Korea was occupied by China, then Japan). That's the reason those people have never had to learn English.

A good atmosphere should be the one let players talk using any languages as they want, Language is not a barrier for communication, but discrimination and bias are!

13. Higher

Higher Regular Member

Well, how can I refuse you kind offer :D.
    Question is how? :confused:

You are just so right!

Good Idea!
    I feel you have some access to them, just pass the idea to them immediately :D

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    annyong haseyo.
    tennis, French Open. the umpire is speaking French instead of english. the tournament broadcast live to many countries, that is much more than badminton All England. why French? why not english?
    what suetyan said is good. attend class is much better than learning online. have time for online learning, why no time for classes?

15. Higher

Higher Regular Member

I've just known that !!!
    Thanks for the info.

I know, problem is I'm not living in big city, just a small town here, where no access for foreign languages, no classes, no schools, that's why.

16. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Op has a point. For us, spectators, it would be nice. But other cultures other traditions. Someone already explained that they don´t learn a second language or at least not English (e.g. bc of the history Indians learn it).
    For us Europeans English is the "common" language. It obv. differs from continent to continent. I don´t see why Chinese people should learn English expect they need it for business.

What I find damn annoying is that they don´t have good dolmetschers who can really translate what the stars have told. Surely some are nervous etc. but still that is the main problem as I see it.

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Oh I am fortunate to live and work next to a Chinese community and got many Chinese friends, so it's not difficult to find ways to learn...

18. Nismo333

Nismo333 Regular Member

I'm not only like one player. I'm a fan from Lin Dan, LYD, Peter Gade and Saina Nehwal... Now you tell me I should learn Mandarin,korean,danish and Indian?
    German is my mother language. My parents are Vietnamese. So i also can speak vietnamese.In the school we have to learn the basic words in foreign language. So, I can speak a little bit english,french. When I watch an interview from LYD or LD, I always try to understand and looking for help to understand,what they say. So, I try my best.
    Peter Gade has a lot of fans world wide. That's why he can do interview in english. The same about LCW. In europe we really like LCW. And I've seen at All England or Swiss Open.Lilyana Natsir and Ahmad Tontowi just say thank you in english and the spectators really like that.
    I just want to say,it could be a huge advantage,when the young Players like LYD,Chen Long,Zhenming Wang etc... would learn english(for represent badminton,interviews,sponsor...)

19. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Those are often times student volunteers who want to see badminton stars... On the other hand, it tells you that the organizers simply don't care what these Asian players have to say. They are neither fiancially or politically important, whatsoever.

20. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I understand your point. I think they do understand English to some extent or are actually able to spell out some sentences. Some people are unwilling to do things in public if they can't do them perfectly. If otherwise being subject of jokes or causing misunderstandings, they would simply talk in their own languages and assume these translators will do a perfect job as they are expected to.