Dried Stencil Ink Pen

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by R20190, Mar 18, 2013.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just wondering if anyone has come across a way to "re-hydrate" the dried ink in a stencil ink pen?

I would have thought that the ink is a suspension/solute in a solvent of some sort, so I would guess you could pour in a suitable solvent to "re-hydrate" it?

The reason I ask is I have a couple of Yonex stencil ink pens that have dried up without being used.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Acetone might do it... it'll dissolve the bottle it's in of you leave it long enough:).

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I thought about acetone but I'm not sure it would do it or if it would damage the strings?

It's not the tips that's the problem kakinami, I have spare tips but the pens are completely new, unused but just dried out over time.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That would be interesting to find out... next time I want some strings out, I'll see what kind of damage acetone does;).

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

try Grey Goose or Skyy vodka. drink some while at it too. PS, the stencil ink is water based.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks, but are you sure it's water-based? Normally with water-based paints, there is very little smell. But with the pens you can definitely smell the solvent evaporating.

If it's water, then I should be able to rehydrate it with distilled water, but I don't want to try unless I'm 100% it is water.

Alcohol might work, but I'd be surprised if it's alcohol in it given the expense?

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Basically there are 2 type of solvents. Water based (ie water with ethanol or methanol because they dissolve in water) and oil based (gasoline, acetone etc.) I already told you the answer, I would like to to try this. Take a stencil ad apply it to a aluminum foil. Let it dry. Then tey to clean it with alcohol swab. see if you can clean it up...