Need recommendation for a new string.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Jason16, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jason16

Jason16 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I would like to seek some recommendation in regards to my string. Currently using BG-80P at 23lbs, and frequently I find my shots having too much power which results in having it to fly out of court. And when net play I find myself returning net shots that are too high, wondering is it something gotta do with my string tension..

I'm currently thinking of changing my string to yonex nanogy 99. Should I keep it at the same tension or should I increase it since I got much strength, or should I continue with BG-80P but to increase the tension of it? :)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hi Jason16,

you can adjust your swing and technique to don't play too long lifts, clears or do a bouncy net play, but this is not easy. I had this problem years ago, too.
    I had string my rackets more tight. Increasing by 2-3 lbs should minimize or kill your problem. Take care. Higher tension can break more easily, maybe stress your racket and the sweetspot will getting smaller, so you can have more mishits than before.
    If you are satisfied with BG80P I would stay with it. But I didn't try it, so I'm not the best person to make an advice.
    I tried NBG99 weeks ago and it's a superb string, but lose a tiny bit quicker tension than my loved Bg80. :)

3. milton

milton Regular Member

I would say increase the tension of the bg80p first as this should give you more control although there are drawbacks as ucantseeme said. Nbg99 is medium feeling and more repulsive than bg80p so i dont think that will help with controlling the netshots. You could try ordinary bg80

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    keep with BG80 but increase the tension with increment of 2 lbs

5. Jason16

Jason16 Regular Member

Student
    Alright guys, then I shall up the tension of the string to 25lbs when I do a restring :)

6. roy7497

roy7497 Regular Member

Medical Doctor
    hello all. im roy. im currently using YY BG 66 ULTIMAX string on my victor BS12 and MX60. i would like to try VS850 string.
    can all the more experience player in this forum give me any idea or input regarding this matter. the quality or different between these two strings. should i change or stick with my current choice of string.
    my tension is 26-27. i played double. smashing is not realy my area. im more on control speed and defence (net play,drop shot)
    please help and give me some info. thank you so much

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hello Roy,

welcome at BC. Strings are often matter of taste. I used VS850 and BG66UM in the past. So IMO, both are good strings. VS850 is close to YY BG80 and has a rough texture. If you can get VS850 at a decent price and can overlook the fast tension droping and not the best durability it is a superb string and worth to try. In this terms the BG66UM are nearly alike, because IMO BG66UM has not the best durability and tension holding, too. If you have to pay the same price for BG80 and VS850, I would prefer the BG80 over the VS850, because BG80 holds tension excellent and is a bit more durable. Count in that if you want the same feeling I would recommend to string BG80 and VS850 maybe 2 lbs higher due the larger diameter.