question about rackets/string and tempurature.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by RebelRunner, Nov 9, 2003.

1. RebelRunner

RebelRunner Regular Member

hi... i live in ottawa... sometime i needed to carry all my rackets and take the bus during the winter while it's like -10C outside... i'm wondering if the cold temp will affect the racket/string... cause one time... after taking a month long break, i took the bus(around 0C outside) to the badminton place then after playing for 2 hrs or so the string breaks on my mp99..... i'm not sure if i should continue to do that... maybe i should only bring my cheap rackets if i need to take the bus during the winter

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

cycles of hot and cold will be bad for your racquet, strings, and pretty much everything, including computer parts. Hitting birds with your racquet could damage it too. If you only bring your cheaper racquets, then what's the point of having better ones? Racquets are meant to be used, not tucked away for display. It's probably riskier playing doubles.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i thought canadian buses are heated:rolleyes:

4. bigredlemon

heated by us occupants. :eek:

5. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    find a thermal bag tennis bag. i know there are some by wilson. it might help

if you want to keep your rackets ever warmer, i propose this idea. im not sure if it'll be the best idea in the world, but keep in mind this is just an idea.

take a thermal bag, take one of those heat packs that you just squish and it activates 2 chemicals inside that produce heat. wrap the heat pack in a towel or 2 if you feel its too hot and put it in the compartment where the rackets are. should keep the rackets and the strings nice and toasty. :)

6. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

where can I purchase such thermal bags from Yonex? How much will it cost?

7. bigredlemon

its not the cold itself but changes in temperature that does damage to the racquet frame. But too hot should be better than too cold since the tension decreases at higher temperatures. Plus, the cost of all those heaters will probably be more than just buying a new racquet when it brakes. :p Racquet bag in a thermal bag sounds like a good idea though.:

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, i used to live in a rather cold city. temperature can easily go down to freezing and may be 10-20degree below are not unheard of.

but of course, none of those can really stop me from going to the gym and at those times, the transportation was a bicycle so i just strap the bag at my back and pedal against the frigid cold. i remember my bag was able to retain temperature pretty well. when i get to the stone cold gym after 15mins on the bike, the bag is still warm inside so the bag does hold heat pretty well even when exposed for a while.

i wonder if you guys just need one of those little handwarmer thingies and just throw that into the bag. with that, the racket should stand a decent distance travel...

9. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i think through any yonex dealer. models bag2230, bag2230, bag620, and bag624 no idea about the cost.

#9 shiriblue, Nov 10, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  10. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    ahh yes thats what the heat packs are called, hand warmers!! i could sure use one right now.... :p

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hey RebelRunner, where do you play? I'm in Ottawa too.

Anyways, the weather is getting cold. I use a Yonex thermal bag which is made for tennis racquets. Also, inside, I keep the original thermal bags on the racquets to just insure me that I have the best heating for it in very nasty conditions.

I know just recently, I went to a tourney (Saturday), and we had to put our bags on the bottom of the bus (The big greyhound ones). It was pretty cold that day and my racquet felt pretty warm when I took it out. So I think your best bet is thermal bags + oem thermal bags on the racquet itself. And, if someone gives you a ride, never put your bags in the trunk, it's freezing in there.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am using one (3 pockets) from HiQua. Big and cheaper, if you want to save several $$$. I always leave the original cover on, and this huge monster can take at least 6 of them, plus shoes, water bottle, shorts, 2 tube of shuttles, etc

http://www.hiquasports.com/badminton/bagpro-02.htm

13. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Are there smaller and more portable thermal bags? I remember badmintonpage.com showed a thermal bag made by Yonex that can fit one racquet and it's small. I want to be able to wear it and not carry a big bag by my side.