H S Prannoy

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Mar 23, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I have seen a great potential in this lad when i watched his match against veteran Boonsak Ponsanna in Swiss Open 2013. I am pretty sure that he will overcome many hurdles in future and make india proud. Along with another potential K.Srikanth, this lad will definitely make big in the near future.

I felt the need for opening a separate thread to this youngster and post some of his ahievements so far.

D.O.B : 17-july 1992

Height :

h_s__prannoy_1363185239_540x540.jpg

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Highlights of his recent match against Boonsak Ponsanna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5U5UtpcwLY

Wonderful performance by this young lad. I wish him all the best for his recent ongoing Polish Open 2013.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I heartly welcome those who knew further personal details about this young potential ,H.S.Prannoy :).

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Prannoy just won his quarterfinal match against Pablo abian, a number two seed in Polish open 2013 in 3 games. Though he puts rare smashes, his deceptive shots and backhand returns are fabulous. He has progressed to semifinals. Lets see how he performs against Vladimir Malkov , 4 th seed player in Polish open .

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Vladmir is also playing doubles. I guess Prannoy should surpass him.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Though he lost to GIGANTIC russian player Vladimir Malkov, he gave a great fight in the second game.

I am really happy with the way he played in this polish open. He ousted 5th seed and 2nd seed of this tournament. As an unseeded player, the way he fought with top seeded players was amazing and a treat to watch. Fantabulous effort by this youngster :).

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    He did not disappoint me. With his fine run in the Polish Open as an unseeded player, he toppled many seeded players on the way to the semifinals, he grabbed the hearts of many badminton fans in India. He is really a great potential alongside K.Srikanth in the near future. He is just 20 years old.

In the recently released BWF rankings, he jumped 12 places to reach 68 th spot . I wish him a great success in the upcoming tournaments.

I have not seen his name in India Open superseries 2013. I wondered why he did not register it??:confused:

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  10. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

oh... he uses a yonex vt 80

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    H.S.Prannoy's parents.jpg

Picture of Prannoy's parents

Father - Sunil Kumar
    Mother - Haseena

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    H S Prannoy
    Plays: Mens Singles, right handed
    Plays for: India
    Current ranking: 55
    Height given is 5' 9" (but he does appear to be taller than that.)

Of interest is the fact that Prannoy has so far, not reached the finals of any tournament he has played in, in the past year or more. His talent is not in question. He won the silver medal in MS at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics.

He has all the natural ingredients to make it to the highest levels of the sport. He is very quick, has decent deception, has great power, and the ability to choose his shots.

There is no reason why Prannoy cannot make it to the finals of many important torunaments within the next year or two.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1827150/report-hs-prannoy-making-rapid-strides-at-20

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    “It was great to play with Taufiq Hidayat; winning was just an added bonus” – Prannoy HS Interview

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/06/...s-just-an-added-bonus-prannoy-hs-interview/2/

EXCERPTS:

Prannoy Haseena Sunilkumar is one of the fastest movers on the badminton court. He won Silver at the Youth Olympics in 2010. He recently defeated former World no. 1 Taufik Hidayat at the Indian Open and is looking forward to do well in the upcoming Indian Badminton League.
    He was recently in conversation with Sportskeeda. Here are the excerpts:

There has been a sudden surge of quality badminton players, both men and women, in India. What has the administration done right according to you?

I don’t think that the administration has done anything right. It’s the players and the coaches who are doing a great job. The hard work is pretty evident in the recent results in all the Super Series and Grand Prix tournaments.

Who do you consider to be your main competition in the domestic circuit?

Well, there are 7 to 8 players who are in the same category. I, Kashyap, Ajay, Anand, Sai, Srikanth, Guru and few more give each other a tough time. We have the same kind of game and it all depends on who plays better on that particular day.

Are you happy with how the year has gone for you so far?

Yes I am happy with how the year has passed so far. I have played some good matches and beaten some good players. I qualified for the Indian Open and beat Taufik Hidayat. Also I beat Anand and Ajay who are in great form lately. I did well in Singapore as I reached quarters and Indonesia open too. However I am looking forward to convert the close matches I play into wins.

Where do you expect to be in the world rankings by the year end?

If I keep playing good tournaments and do well in 2 or 3 tournaments, I should be able to reach in top 35. I am 54 in the World currently. I am just hoping to recover fully from a back problem. I have had it for years but its got lot better now. I have been doing a lot of exercises and rehab and in a month I should be 100 percent fit.

The women are doing much better than the men. Any reason?

Well I think it’s unfair to say that as apart from Saina and Sindhu, I don’t think others are doing better. In fact if you see the recent results, it’s the men section which is doing well. In men’s singles, there are at least 10 people competing. Women haven’t been able to do well even in doubles and mixed doubles despite being good. However Saina and Sindhu have been phenomenal.

You defeated Taufiq Hidayat at the Indian Open. What was it like to beat a former World No. 1?

It was amazing. It was just great to play with him and winning was just an added bonus. If you see his career record, you will know what a great player he is. It was one of his last matches and he wasn’t quite in the best form. Every badminton player of my age has grown up watching him. I used to see his videos to play better.

Do you think IBL will be a success?

It all depends on how well they organize it. It is expected to be the biggest league in badminton ever. All the top players and coaches will be participating and coming over. It will be a great experience for all the Indian badminton players since they will get to play with and against the best in the world from every country. They will share everything and will get to learn a lot from coaches of China, Indonesia etc.
    [​IMG]

What is your training schedule like?

We have three training sessions in a day. One is in the morning then afternoon and evening. We have an off court session after our evening training which includes gym and fitness.

You won Silver at the Youth Olympics few years back. Do you aim for an Olympic medal in future?

Every player aims for it. It’s my dream to have it in my hand one day. However one has to struggle a lot and also luck plays an important role. Olympics come every four years and if you practice for 3 years and then get an injury just before it, that would be bad.

What are the upcoming tournaments lined up for you?

I will be participating in an All India tournament in Pune and then will be busy with IBL.

Gopichand Academy seems to produce quite a few successful badminton players at the world arena. Why is that?

I think it’s because of the excellent facilities provided there. Also not just that, the coaching is up to date with the international standards. Gopi sir travels with us in all the tournaments and see all our matches. He would then tell us our mistakes and help us rectify them. He also sees where other players are better than us and then trains us accordingly. With the intense competition that exists in badminton, we train intensely too. He also keeps us motivated which encourages us to keep improving and win.

What is your strength in your game?

I previously had an attacking game but now I play an all round game. Since we play whole year round, endurance training is important. I have been doing it a lot and it has helped me play well in all the lengthy matches, which have been quite a few.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    HS Prannoy just won the Indian Open National Ranking Tournament.
    He beat Anup Sridhar in the final 21-13, 21-2.
    Wow, 21-2 :eek:

On the way up, he beat Anand Pawar (SF) and also K Srikanth (QF).

Kochi, February 3, 2014

ONGC’s H.S. Prannoy capped a fine run and lifted the men’s singles title while BPCL’s P.V. Sindhu won the women’s crown in the Manorama Indian Open National-ranking badminton tournament here on Sunday evening.

After Saturday’s semifinal storm, the singles finals turned out to be a quiet affair at the Rajiv Gandhi indoor stadium. The men’s final, which pitted the fifth-seeded Prannoy against former national champion Anup Sridhar, began promisingly with the latter leading 11-8 in the opening set but ended in a whimper with the former winning 21-13, 21-2.

The tall Anup used his height advantage well and came up with a smart strategy in the opening set. With a nice flick of his wrist, he confused Prannoy, forcing his younger opponent to run from side to side.

But once Prannoy levelled at 11 and took a 14-12 lead with a telling crosscourt smash and then followed it up with a net shot, Anup looked uncomfortable. And he was a mere spectator in the second set.

“Anup was unwell last night and he only wanted to play the first set today,” revealed Prannoy, who trains at the Gopi Chand Academy in Hyderabad, after winning his first senior national-ranking title in almost three years and taking home the winner’s purse of Rs. 1.17 lakh.

Meanwhile World No. 10 Sindhu began the tournament with one racket and ended with another — after signing a rich two-year contract with Li-Ning which came into effect on Saturday — but she looked comfortable despite the change in equipment and defeated P.C. Thulasi 21-11, 21-11.

The tall Sindhu, ranked 67 rungs above her opponent in the world list, frequently kept the shuttle out of Thulasi’s reach with her sharp crosscourt smashes. Thulasi fought hard but it was not good enough.

In sharp contrast, all the three doubles finals turned out be thrilling affairs and the packed stadium lapped it up with glee.

The results (finals):

Men: H.S. Prannoy (PSPB) bt Anup Sridhar (Ktk) 21-13, 21-2.
    Doubles: Pranaav Jerry Chopra (PSPB) & Akshay Dewalkar (AI) bt Alwin Francis (Ker) & Arun Vishnu (PSPB) 21-9, 23-25, 21-19.

Women: P.V. Sindhu (PSPB) bt P.C. Thulasi (Ker) 21-11, 21-11.
    Doubles: Aparna Balan (PSPB) & N. Sikki Reddy (AAI) bt Prajakta Sawant (PSPB)/Arathi Sara Sunil (Ker) 21-16, 21-13.

Mixed Doubles: Arun Vishnu & Aparna Balan (PSPB) bt Sanave Thomas (Ker) & Prajakta Sawant (PSPB) 21-18, 21-18.

The original article is here:
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/prannoy-and-sindhu-triumph/article5646231.ece

The scores for the run-up to the final are here:
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/its-prannoy-vs-anup/article5643534.ece

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Prannoy's voluntary absence of a few months from international competition has helped him get rid of a nagging injury which was beginning to seriously affect his usual fast-attacking game.

Congratulations for clinching his first ever Grand Prix Gold title!

Although Firman Abdul Kholik fought hard in the final, Prannoy's match against Daren Liew was probably the toughest in this competition. Daren was fierce, determined and fit - and if he hadn't made so many errors, Prannoy might not have prevailed.

As I mentioned in the Indonesian Masters GP Gold thread, Prannoy was playing with a nasty heel injury which was cramping his lunges and leaps. Morten Frost did (correctly) criticize Prannoy's reluctance to play overheads... but, of course, Frost could not know what the real reason was.

A lot of credit should go to Pullela Gopichand for fashioning yet one more spirited singles player from India!

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Indeed. Great achievement . He can now work harder than before to move ahead. Morten frost was saying that he is a good counter attacking player. Really good to see him accomplishing this feat so early . I wanna see more of him in the future as well.

18. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Kudos to Prannoy, but what happened to the Malaysian great teenage hope, ZZ!
    Why can't he make the much awaited breakthrough - how long more must we wait, wake up ZZ,
    look at KM,CM,RI and now FAK.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I am very much interested to watch H.S.Prannoy vs kento momota's match of french open 2014. But unfortunately, we dont have any recorded videos of 1st round matches of french open except few.