smashing problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quiks11ver, Mar 23, 2013.

1. quiks11ver

quiks11ver New Member

hello all pros, jus wanna know what problem im probably facing when smash in double...i used to smash so hard at double even they couldnt even touch the shuttle but after chinese new year one week rest i suddenly have weak smash and drop in performances. additional information: i've change voltric 70 to voltric 80 and the string im using is bg99 or 98 tension 24

2. aznguy

aznguy Regular Member

Probably just a small adjustment period for your new racket, your smashes will come back when you get your timing right again. Even if you feel comfortable with the Voltric 80, it shouldn't affect your performance that much.

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

vt70 is medium flexi shaft, vt80 is stiff, so the power generation method and "smash" timing is different, with a more flexible shaft, you can accelerate the handle first, the head will trail due to the shaft bending, this creates a "spring back" power transfer

whereas the vt80's stiff shaft, using the method of vt70, it wont work very well.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

it will work just as well as long you can swing faster... there isn't a magic tachnique to use for stiff racket that is different to medium flex racket.

5. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

there is! extra stiff racket is better if you incorporate a stronger wrist snap action, flexible more aerodynamic racquets tend to result in people using full arm swings

6. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

For stiff rackets, pronation technique is better rather than wrist snip action, pros like Fu Hai Feng and Lin Dan use that technique when smashing.

7. phili

phili Regular Member

It took me like a month or so to get the same smash power when I moved from a flex to a mid-stiff racket. But now everything is good again

8. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    practice again,thats all:cool:

9. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    don't try to smash too hard or you might develop tennis elbow and cause long term damage like I did!.

But like the other posters say, if you change in racquet/strings, the timing you need will changes significantly.
    You might smash well with one racquet but the moment you change racquets, it may not suit you as well and you will have to change your timing and technique a little..

24lb tension seems very soft for a Voltric 70/80.. I've got the same VT70 with NBG95 strings at 24lbs and I don't feel it's stiff enough for me to get a good smash. Especially with feather shuttles.

Try a different string tension first and then consider a different racquet.

10. quiks11ver

quiks11ver New Member

HIGHER TENSION OR LOWER TENSION TO TRY?? :))))) thanks

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Did you try to play using both? I guess it must be those foods? lol ;)

12. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
  13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Most of the above post has already manage to explained much about the drop in your smashing performance after you change your racket spec. from V70 to V80 which the later is a more stiffer racket. Shifting to a more stiffer racket without having the proper technique and physical requirements has shift the "timing" in your hits thus produce a not solid hit i.e weak smash.

If shifting to V80 makes your smashing performance deteriorate and you still decided to use it, you must importantly improve your hitting technique and muscle tone first in order to produce more speed and strength in all your swings as well as to avoid muscle injury to match that swinging technique and physical requirement that are required to weild such stiffer racket. If this improvements has not able to improve a lot in your smash ( and most likely also in most of the other hits ) and you're experiencing significant amount of muscle aching, its better to just use back your reliable V70 as it has manage to produce better qualities in your hit more than the new V80 IMHO.

Regardless of whatever racket that you're going to use now or in the future, just remind yourself that how important it is for you to understand what are the racket spec. that you should ideally recognized in order to match it with your playing style, those racket eventually will still be just a tool in helping your arm to hit those incoming birdie and much of the quality of those hit will ultimately be decided from the depth of your knowledge and application of such knowledge about the correct technique in all your hit to produce those solid hits afterwards.

No racket will produce any power in your hits but your technique will if it is done right and be it a flex, mid flex or stiff racket, its not the racket spec. that need to be adjusted into your playing style but it's your technique that need to be properly adjusted to suits well with that racket spec. so that your hits will be a solid one.

In regards about what tension that you should use, just stick to what tension that you're using now and adjust by a margin of +/- 1 pound until you've found that magic value that will make your hit a satisfactory one. Your ideal tension value strung in any of a similar racket spec with mine will not be a ideal value for me thus you must evaluate that by yourself from your playing experience. Start at 24lbs first as this is your starting tension value.

SS