Most effective drinks mixture

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sorlo, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Sorlo

Sorlo Regular Member

Have this being discussed? let's try it!!!:p;)

For me, i only had Pocari Sweat powder and Gatorade. anyone have special formula which had effectively reduced cramping enhanced endurance?

Maybe drinks do not help alot... but it worth a shot!!

2. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    During the game I always drink a mixture of 3/4 water with minerals (750 ml) and 1/4 nature apple juice (250 ml). Selfmixed - not the bottle from the supermarket.
    I read that this mixture is up to 100% isotonic and therefore very good during sports.

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Standard re-hydration formula works for me:
    1 pint of water
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it really depends. most ppl who go to the gym and play an hour or 2 of badminton, and often taking turns so there are some rest time, sports drinks or mixtures are not really that effective. water alone is still the best when it comes to hydrating the body.

however, if you intend to spend more than 2 hours and doing more intensive exercise like constantly doing drills, then you will be better to refill with electrolytic through a sports drink.

5. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    I drink protein shakes after the game.

6. phili

phili Regular Member

On training sessions or league matches plain water does the trick. On tournaments however I do the same as my fellow countryman, water with apple juice. I think it is more important what you eat than what you drink because you simply get more nutrients from food than from drinks.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just to add. i used to bring a bottle or two of sports drink to the gym. while they do taste better than plain water, i don't feel that they do much to me.

these days i have a 1L bottle that i refill at home using the water dispenser on the fridge. while not as tasty i feel that it does just as good of a job at replenishing liquid in my body, without all the extra calories and chemicals.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you find it helpful? i heard ppl do that to gain muscle weight. i need more muscles. :(

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i notice a lot of athletes eat banana. is that a good option?

10. ralphralph

ralphralph Regular Member

I drink coconut juice. Touted to be the best natural sports drink. No cramps or muscle fatigue after games when I drink coconut juice instead of just water or sports drinks.

11. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Banana is a good magnesium source and magnesium are important for the muscles. It helps against cramps or not to get a cramp after/while sports. Thats why they're eating it.

Well, I ordered a few liters of coconut water from the internet. (Coconot water - not coconut milk).
    For the same reasons as you saying - but it tastes really awful for me :D

12. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    I drink one scoop of protein shakes to maintain muscle density and not to increase muscle mass.
    The best time to drink is right after the game, at this time, the muscle is craving/hungry for replenishment /food
    Protein is what the muscle needs.
    To gain muscle mass, you need different type of workout and increase number of times you drink protein shakes.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sicne ralphralph is from Singapore, i believe he drinks it from the fruit/shell!

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    how about eating the egg white? is that a good option?

15. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    I understand Whey Isolate (protein shakes) gets into the bloodstream within 20-30 mins, as there is nothing to break down it will be much faster than your regular meal (egg white).

16. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Whilst bananas do have magnesium in it you really want it for the potasium to stop cramping. After sodium thats the 2nd Major salt that you lose in sweat.

Isotonic just means it has the same salt/mineral concentration as sweat.
    After that you need to balance your energy levels. High intensity sports drain you blood sugar levels quickly and you body cannot convert fat quickly enough to replenish. Thats were fast metabolising sugars can help to keep you blood sugar up.

Again its a balancing act. To much ingested sugar will push you body into fat creation which can paradixically cause you blood sugar to drop/tank after the initial load of sugar is digested and your still exercising.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

For those who sweat profusely like me :), electrolyte sports drink like gatorade is a must. Plain water doesn't cut it. And adding salt and sugar is not the same as the potassium salts and balanced sugars in sports drinks.

18. Sorlo

Sorlo Regular Member

wow... it seems that coconut drink are all natural n isotonic... i think protein powder don't really help a lot, as protein main job is to repair tissues. the apple juice mixed with minerals sounds interesting... will try that out.

Anyone knows what's the pros drink? i often saw on TV that they have some kind of a mixture mixed with the drinking water provided by the tournament. Often in light red or milky white. And some pro tennis players, they have their own mixtures too... any comments?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think isotonic refers to a similar osmolarity to blood which is around 300 milliosmoles/l.

Taking too much sugar can be detrimental. I believe you'd get an insulin surge to cope with extra glucose. Then if you exercise during the higher insulin levels, blood sugar level can drop even more. Definitely glucagon levels would then increase and it gets a bit complicated from then on! We need an exercise physiologist around here :)

Coconut juice tastes good, whether it's good for your body during exercise, I don't know :)

My personal favourite is 100plus and I can drink 2litres or more in during a session.

There are lots of different formulas around - people have to try them out and see what works best for themselves as individuals.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Pineapple juice and ginger beer 50/50 mix with a lot of lime juice. I'm just a very casual player but this is delicious. I'll try that sugar/salt water mix, thanks.