Without LD, WC13 is the best chance for LCW to win

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by Jonc108, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Without LD, WC13 is the best chance for LCW to win.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

his best chance was there and gone, the year that Chen Jin won.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lee Chong Wei does deserve to win a WC. there are still Chen Long on his way. let's see if LCW can capitalize on his chance.

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

considering he was in the final only once after 10 years or so trying and never won anything in China, my hope for him is not so good.

as i said he missed the golden chance in Paris.

5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

In the past, besides LD, there were still PG, TH, SD who were able to catch LCW off guard. Now? Apparently no one apart from CL.

6. apachesun

apachesun Regular Member

Student
    I believe that Jan O Jorgensen might be a dark house at WC13

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

his biggest enemy from now on, old age!!!!!!!!!!!

8. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I would say Chen Long and Wang Zhengming are the only 2 players who can beat LCW on a normal day.

LCW can still lose to himself on a very very bad day, but I don't see this happening at the WC.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In a way Alan is right to say Paris 2010 was his best chance with Lin Dan out of the way thanks to Park SH. But since that's history, I've to agree with the OP that this year is his golden opportunity, the fact that the WC is held in China notwithstanding.

With Lin Dan denied the right to defend his title (that's how I feel about it) and Chen Long, his archrival now, still, in my opinion, not really stronger than him yet, and what's more it's their third consecutive meeting after having lost the first two, I believe Chen Long may not be LCW's stumbling block this time.

I have this thinking that had Chen Long not defeated LCW in the AE, then Chen Long will be more motivated and determined to beat LCW in the coming WC and might well succeed. But as things turned out, I now sense that the converse is more likely the case as the expectation and pressure on Chen Long's shoulder should be much higher now, the more so without Lin Dan.

To me it's a pity neither LCW nor Chen Long has the good fortune to be given the chance to beat Lin Dan for the world title, for even beating an off-peak Lin Dan is more gratifying and convincing than not.

For LCW, his stakes are higher and if he fails to capitalize on it in the absence of Lin Dan this year, then next year onward will be tougher for him and it can only get worse as Chen Long grows stronger and Lin Dan regains most if not all his form assuming he is in earnest about gunning for the third Olympic gold in Rio'16. Who knows by then another player arises as well to pose one more major threat to LCW,perhaps Wang Zhengming.Sigh.

Frankly, when I first read that Lin Dan is taking a six-month break, my immediate thought is that LCW would probably sweep all the titles on offer for the following 6-9 months. But, alas, things didn't turn out that way, instead it is Chen Long who gains the most and does it in impressive fashion, he well deserves it.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Age is a factor but I reckon for someone so immensely talented as LCW, I honestly don't expect him to go downhill quickly but very gradually. Friend, you think he cannot compare with PG , Lee HI and Hu Yun, all of whom continue(d) to play their best badminton in their early 30s? I'm not too certain about it but I've to admit your pointed remarks often hit the nail on the head, short and sharp.

One thing is for certain, once past 30, both Lin Dan and LCW cannot play explosive, attacking badminton like before, at least not throughout a whole tournament or maybe not even one whole match when it goes to three games.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now that it's more or less confirmed Lin Dan won't be competing in this WC, I hope CBA/LYB will pick Chen Long, Du Pengyu and Wang Zhengming. I'm leaving out Chen Jin because his fitness problem is still not resolved yet but he'll be back.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

is that truth, info from where?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In terms of physicality and age, Chen Long has a definite advantage over Lin Dan and Lee CW.

In LCW's favour would be his undiminished drive and motivation and he's painfully aware time isn't on his side to win at least one major title before he retires (or is forced to retire).

Chen Long should be no less motivated and driven but likely his sense of urgency isn't as high considering his career isn't even halfway through and probably yet to reach his peak. I've no doubt he will surpass LCW by and by.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In this article http://sports.qq.com/a/20130326/000474.htm, Li Yongbo seemed resigned to it that BWF won't grant Lin Dan a wild card entry and tacitly admitted as much that Lin Dan won't be competing then.

15. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LCW will win if LD does not play.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

does he really meant that?
    LD has enough points to qualify for the WC, it's just a choice to send LD or 2 other youngsters.

or is he just playing mind game?

#16 AlanY, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i wonder if LCW will walkout..

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

There is another article where the author explains it better without quoting LYB's tacit remarks/statements http://sports.qq.com/a/20130325/000643.htm

My understanding is Lin Dan is now ranked 41. There are already six other CHN MS ahead of him in ranking and they are within the top 32. Of the six, 3 are within top 8 i.e. CL at #2, DPY at #3 and CJ at #7, and 4 are within top 24 with WZM at #11, with Gao Huan at #26 and Chen Yuekun at #32.

The rule says CHN or any country for that matter can send 4 players if they are ranked within top 8, or 3 players if they are within top 24, or only 2 if they are within top 32. So even if Lin Dan managed to improve his ranking to within 32 by Apr 25th, say by winning the ABC which is equivalent to grand prix level and gaining 7000 points as a result, then in order to select Lin Dan CHN can send only two contestants - as AlanY has rightly pointed out, 2 of the 3 eligible will have to be sacrificed to make way for him.

However, this is what LYB and, I inferred, Lin Dan too, are unwilling to do as implied in the earlier article I posted above. The author also concluded based on the above analysis that Lin Dan is out of this WC.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Impossible, friend, how could you even think of it. :D Besides, BAM and his sponsors will never allow it, barring unforeseen circumstances. Winning at least one major title (apart from the AE) is his lifelong dream, and nothing is going to stop him.

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's max of 2 if they are within the top 150.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=422679&tid=1

that's why LD always can go if he wanted to.