Strings are snapping every 10-20 days, please help!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SFenrich, Mar 26, 2013.

1. SFenrich

SFenrich New Member

Student
    Hey, I'm new here and recently I've had strings snapping like crazy on me. My racket is a Black Knight C2C Taper Elite and I always string it to 24lbs. I've experimented with Yonex NBG95 (3 times), BG65 (2 times), and BG66 (1 time) nd they've all snapped on me within a few weeks of getting my racket strung. I'm a singles player and they've snapped on a variety of different shots. Everything from smashes, to backhands, to clears have snapped strings on me. About half the time they show signs of fraying before snapping, and the other half of the time there is no sign of fraying at all. I don't consider my shots to be that hard, so I have no idea why they're breaking like this all the time.

In the city nearest to me, it costs around $40 everytime I need to restring my racket and its beginning to dig a whole in my bank account. My friend recently bought the same racket and the strings snapped on him the very day he bought the racket, so is it a possibility that it could have something to do with the racket itself?

The strings are always snapping near the upper half of the sweet spot if that information is of any use.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    who is your stringer?

where does he get his strings from?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    $40 is quite a bit. if you own a few rackets it is probably cheaper to send it elsewhere by mail to be strung!

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Where are the strings breaking ? If it's in the very top or bottom of the stringbed, that is why.

Also, 24lbs with plastic shuttles at this time of the year is quite high, any mishit could cause breakage.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The OP states only one racquet. Wonder if it is a problem with the racquet or the stringer or the machine they use.

We need more information!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I've never seen bg65 fray after 20 days of playing before..... unless you're playing 8 hrs a day...

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

*uses 31 lb with plastics:eek:.

CAD$40 is daylight robbery, tbh. See if you can find somebody who'll do it for 25, but first make sure there's nothing untoward going on with the racket itself - could be as simple as a sharp grommet.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I know :)

But temperatures are very different in Canada and while people seem to think Canadians can't play badminton, it is a reality here that strings always break faster here, moreso in Quebec, less so in BC.

I can assure you that if I put 31 lbs on one of my rackets and went to play with plastic shuttles, the strings would explode after a few hits lol

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What's wrong with having 31lb with plastics?

20 days doesn't sound that bad if you're playing frequently. 31lb is in the region of professional player preferences and they snaps strings pretty much every day!

What does sound bad is the cost of stringing. I think you're better off finding another stringer.

10. SFenrich

SFenrich New Member

Student
    Hey OP here, I always get my racket restrung at Sport Chek so I don't know the specifics of where they get the strings or if the guy doing it is a qualified stringer. The strings always snap in the upper half of the sweet spot, and its always a horizontal string. I've had the grommets replaced.

I play probably 3 or 4 times a week for 2 hours at a time, so I don't think that should be putting too much stress on the racket.

In regards to temperature, I always make sure I don't leave my racket outside in the cold, its always left at room temperature.

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Here's your problem :)

Your racket is most likely strung by some hockey player that doesn't even know badminton can be played outside of the beach.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Break at the frame or in the middle of the racquet? Just need a little more accurate info before making a judgement :)

13. SFenrich

SFenrich New Member

Student
    Middle of the racket

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Breaking a cross is pretty unusual, IME, and even more so if it's in the middle.

15. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

This used to happen to me a lot when I had my rackets strung at Sport Chek. The strings would break after the first night of play either in the middle or slightly off the center.

Don't even try thinking of what would happen with a mishit :)

#15 yan.v, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. SFenrich

SFenrich New Member

Student
    That's the weird thing though, it's been absolutely fine after several mishits, yet they'll snap on a simple backhand clear or normal clear

17. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I have no idea who your stringers are especially since I'm not in the same country as you.
    However, I have heard of stringers in my local city who used to score/finely cut the strings with a knife so it would break quite easily. You may not even see the cut but try a different restringer and see if it still happens.

I have a Yonex VT70 with NBG95 strings strung around 24lbs from when I bought it originally 2 years ago and I still haven't been able to break it yet, but I'm the type of person who rarely ever breaks a string.

18. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I'm pretty sure the guy at SportCheck is damaging the string (without knowing it) during the stringing. 40 bucks is unusual, I mean SportExperts which is the same thing as Sportcheck for us in Quebec, charges around 20-25 for stringing.

19. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Sports Experts' price is about 35$ for BG65, including taxes. 40$ for more expensive strings doesn't sound unusual for them.

20. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

^^Well Yan, I was citing one of my friend who got his stringing done there and paid something like $19. I never go there since they usually barely know what they are doing (bad experiences back in my hometown).