User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    shingaporu
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is pronation the way to go?

    been trying to cope with both a "badminton elbow" and some chronic deltoid tendonitis for a very long time (11 yrs), injuries that resulted from being a javelin thrower. in some way, i've had changed my playing style to almost purely defensive, minimal smashing, which can be easily taken advantage of

    seems easy to always assume people at public groups are nice and humble, but its seldom the case these days. there are a few people whom are rather cocky and have pretty much the "gift" of the "gap", so i've decided to re-build my smash to let them eat some shuttles.

    currently i can only achieve 40% the power that i use to be able to generate. bad habits from being a thrower results in typically a forward swing motion ending with a wrist snap, which occassionally over swinging results in pain.

    is converting over to pronation smash the only way to go?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    long question, short answer:
    yes!

  3. #3
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,366
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    huh? if you want to smash (or clear) with any power effectively, is there any other way?

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,366
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    it's similar for backhand clear (or smash)... you can't do it effectively if you don't supinate

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I have to agree with visor... as usual.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You don't have the use the conventional "pronation" method, a lot of the past pros never used the modern pronation technique but still played very well.

    If you're suffering from an injury to your arm, I suggest you don't think about pronating at all during your strokes - it will come naturally. I had an injury to my shoulder for almost as many years so I know how frustrating it can be.

    Instead there are several things I would suggest you do to help with your injury. First make sure you have the correct equipment. Grip size, tension and racquet stiffness are all very important to help your injury.

    Secondly, remember to relax your whole arm before the stroke, only tightening your grip (and thus your forearm) just before impact with the shuttle.

    Finally, don't think about pronation. Instead focus only on hitting the shuttle completely square (perpendicular) to the flight of the shuttle. If you do this, it will help you over-pronating and causing further injury.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    You don't have the use the conventional "pronation" method, a lot of the past pros never used the modern pronation technique but still played very well.

    If you're suffering from an injury to your arm, I suggest you don't think about pronating at all during your strokes - it will come naturally. I had an injury to my shoulder for almost as many years so I know how frustrating it can be.

    Instead there are several things I would suggest you do to help with your injury. First make sure you have the correct equipment. Grip size, tension and racquet stiffness are all very important to help your injury.

    Secondly, remember to relax your whole arm before the stroke, only tightening your grip (and thus your forearm) just before impact with the shuttle.

    Finally, don't think about pronation. Instead focus only on hitting the shuttle completely square (perpendicular) to the flight of the shuttle. If you do this, it will help you over-pronating and causing further injury.
    What technique did they use instead?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think R20190 meant that professionals probably don't think about pronation when they hit. In fact, many coaches do not explicitly cover the pronation portion of the stroke, but they say it is the part of the stroke where you extend your arm to hit the shuttle. Getting the correct basic grip (grip held w/ fingers, not in palm) will naturally lead to pronation

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post
    What technique did they use instead?
    In modern badminton, there is a lot of emphasis on the "supination-pronation" technique with many coaches teaching this before a player can hit the shuttle properly. I disagree with this personally.

    In the past, novices are simply taught to have the correct grip, throwing action and just concentrate on striking the shuttle cleanly. By doing this, not only is there less to think about, but you would already be supinating/pronating to some extent anyway and arguably in a more natural stroke.

    To answer your question, it is essentially the same technique but there is far less emphasis/exaggeration on supination/pronation and also the pronation on the follow-through (after striking the shuttle) is far less pronounced.

    A good example would be to look at how Zhao Jian Hua plays and compare his technique with say Lin Dan.

    The S/P technique is indeed more efficient and if executed well can be incredibly deceptive, but ZJH was perhaps the most deceptive player I've seen yet he did not use the modern S/P technique.

  10. #10
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've noticed that my baby (circa 6 months) naturally pronates when waving her arms about. It's a gradual movement such that the pronation occurs over the entire arm swing. I've copied this and as R20190 said, I just aim to hit it square-on and let the pronation happen. I've caused myself problems previously by forcing it, condensing full supination/pronation in a fraction of the arm movement.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pure pronation with correct grip is best technique if you have shoulder injury. Other techniques use more shoulder and arm swing.

    Agree its not necessary to talk about pronation in the first instance. Just correct grip and natural throwing action that feels no strain. If your a newbie to this then at first when if hitting correctly you should find the shuttle veers off to the left (vice versa if your left handed). Adjust your stance to account for this more side on. But dont get mechanical try stay on balls of feet with a nice bouncy follow through. Think Mohammed Ali

    Have to disagree though DO NOT HOLD racket in fingers while doing shot. Hold more in palm but not fist grip, relaxed but not loose in hand.

    Basically you hold racket in fingers with basic grip for quick grip changes. Once you know what shot with which grip your playing you then grip the racket a bit more firmly, but not a fist grip. Then on hitting shuttle apply brakes to transfer power better. Think Bruce Lee punch

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    In modern badminton, there is a lot of emphasis on the "supination-pronation" technique with many coaches teaching this before a player can hit the shuttle properly. I disagree with this personally.

    In the past, novices are simply taught to have the correct grip, throwing action and just concentrate on striking the shuttle cleanly. By doing this, not only is there less to think about, but you would already be supinating/pronating to some extent anyway and arguably in a more natural stroke.

    To answer your question, it is essentially the same technique but there is far less emphasis/exaggeration on supination/pronation and also the pronation on the follow-through (after striking the shuttle) is far less pronounced.

    A good example would be to look at how Zhao Jian Hua plays and compare his technique with say Lin Dan.

    The S/P technique is indeed more efficient and if executed well can be incredibly deceptive, but ZJH was perhaps the most deceptive player I've seen yet he did not use the modern S/P technique.
    Do you have a clear video of ZJH's technique? Cause his matches were from the 90's and it's kind of hard to see what kind of technique he was using.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post
    Do you have a clear video of ZJH's technique? Cause his matches were from the 90's and it's kind of hard to see what kind of technique he was using.
    Most of the videos of him are actually in the 80's as he retired in 92. So they are all generally VHS conversions, which tend to be quite poor quality I'm afraid.

    Have a look at this thread, there are some videos of ZJH on there.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-Zhao-Jian-Hua

  14. #14
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,366
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    To see ZJH's technique, just check out the slow mo sections of his coaching videos on YouTube

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oooh that guy is THE Zhao Jianhua. Damn I have his whole training video with Xiao Jie lol. I thought he's just some random Chinese coach. He looked so different back in the days.

  16. #16
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,366
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hah... yep, he's gained some wt and lost some height.

    But he still loves joking around.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Bay
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSNT View Post
    Oooh that guy is THE Zhao Jianhua. Damn I have his whole training video with Xiao Jie lol. I thought he's just some random Chinese coach. He looked so different back in the days.
    OT, do you have all of his videos on youtube? I got most of them but one episode got corrupted/truncated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •