User Tag List

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
Results 307 to 323 of 800
  1. #307
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,279
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That place looks huge! Where is it?

    One of the pictures shows daylight coming in. I'm sure you'll need ISO800 and more expensive lenses above for a completely indoors venue.

  2. #308
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    That place looks huge! Where is it?

    One of the pictures shows daylight coming in. I'm sure you'll need ISO800 and more expensive lenses above for a completely indoors venue.
    It's in Nice - French riviera, near Monaco

    the 50mm f1.8 is really good for indoor.
    with worse light, I can take take pictures at iso800 or 1600 (even in 3200), in RAW format and treat it to have not so much digital noise.

  3. #309
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,279
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekinox06210
    It's in Nice - French riviera, near Monaco

    the 50mm f1.8 is really good for indoor.
    with worse light, I can take take pictures at iso800 or 1600 (even in 3200), in RAW format and treat it to have not so much digital noise.
    you mean compared to JPEG? You must be using huge amounts of memory.

    Nice - another place to go play badminton and enjoy life...cool

  4. #310
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    you mean compared to JPEG? You must be using huge amounts of memory.

    Nice - another place to go play badminton and enjoy life...cool
    Ooohhh yes! huge huge amonts of memory...

    but I've got this nice and friendly gadget:
    http://www.roportal.ro/upload/vendor...pacerCP200.jpg


    to Raphy> je t'ai envoyé un mail

  5. #311
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    an idea that i had carried around for the past 3 years and it seem getting closer is:

    have a battery operated HD enclosed in a carrying pouch clipped on your belt.
    the camera (or camcorder) transmit data via a wire (lower cost version) or by wireless blue tooth to the HD(100+++ GB). The flash (<~1 GB) card would serve as a buffer

  6. #312
    Regular Member red00ecstrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong S.A.R. China
    Posts
    1,985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    an idea that i had carried around for the past 3 years and it seem getting closer is:

    have a battery operated HD enclosed in a carrying pouch clipped on your belt.
    the camera (or camcorder) transmit data via a wire (lower cost version) or by wireless blue tooth to the HD(100+++ GB). The flash (<~1 GB) card would serve as a buffer
    got any picture cooler. i really wanna see how it looks like.

  7. #313
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat
    yep cooler. it's pretty good to start with a canon 20d or something similar in performance. (imoh it's an entry level dslr for sports photography.)
    for sports photography. the af system and the shutter time lag are quite important. if both of them are up to requirement. we will have a higher chance to get a decent sports photo.
    In my experience, shutter lag is not important as you get used to it pretty quickly ; you have to anticipate. Even a Canon EOS 1D MarkII has a shutter lag of 55ms ; the 350D has a longer shutter lag but anyway you'll have to press the shutter button before the bird is hit, often before you even see the bird in the viewfinder. I found that I didn't get more "shuttle on the racket" shots when going from the Canon D30 to the 10D to the 1D MarkII. Actually, with the 1D I have a tendancy to anticipate too much and take the pic too early

    Burst capability is not very important either, as even if your camera can shoot at 8 frames/sec you can shoot a burst and get zero picture that show the shuttle on or near the racket, so it's better to train your timing so that you get it right while saving memory

    As for the AF system, I agree that it's very important. But I know some photographers who use manual focus : check out Sven Heise work in the link below, he was using a D30 for several years with only two "cheap" lenses (50/1.8 and 85/1.8) : he never shot in bursts and used manual focus. His timing is exceptional. I think that he currently has a 20D.

    Here are some of his older pics with the D30 :
    http://www.badmintonfotos.de/topfive/topfive1.htm

  8. #314
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekinox06210
    Hi evrybody!
    here is some of my pictures, taken in France in amateur tournaments with my EOS 300D and 50mm f1.8
    Nice pics Ekinox According to your shooting parameters you had quite a bit of light, that's a nice gym !

    Did you use AF or manual focus ?

  9. #315
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    Nice pics Ekinox According to your shooting parameters you had quite a bit of light, that's a nice gym !

    Did you use AF or manual focus ?
    thanks shabok. (that's you who gave me the best advises on HFR )
    light was good during the day but at night it was more difficult.
    usualy I use manual focus when I use Av mode. at f1.8 the Depth of field is very short, so in manual focus the player have to be at a very precise place.
    I found that Tv mode (1/500th) is sometimes better and permit a better(longer) DOF if light is good.
    (sorry for bad english )

  10. #316
    Regular Member red00ecstrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong S.A.R. China
    Posts
    1,985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    In my experience, shutter lag is not important as you get used to it pretty quickly .................10D to the 1D MarkII. Actually, with the 1D I have a tendancy to anticipate too much and take the pic too early
    shabok, that's my the first time to hear that! and in fact i m glad to hear from someone who's willing to share something different!
    true, even the eos 1d mkII has shutter time lag. but my question is that. more or less? which will be better? indeed, the answer can be read from what u'd written here! like (get used to it) or (tendancy to anticipate too much and take the pic too early).
    in the early 90's. some photographer were still using a nikon 801 for sports.(i was using a nikon f3 with motordrive.) i asked them during tennis event."how can u do a good sports photo with such camera? he said " if i wanna get the guy on my right in action with a tennis ball in the air. i will press the shutter when i hear the sound of "a hitting ball" on the left" i said. good tricks!
    but was that the moment he'd been looking for. only he can tell!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    .........and get zero picture that show the shuttle on or near the racket, so it's better to train your timing so that you get it right while saving memory
    and that's answer to the shutter time lag issue! i would say full of paradox boy!
    nevertheless those are some really nice picture.
    thx for sharing.

  11. #317
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekinox06210
    thanks shabok. (that's you who gave me the best advises on HFR )
    You are welcome

    Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward too seeing more of your pics !

  12. #318
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat
    true, even the eos 1d mkII has shutter time lag. but my question is that. more or less? which will be better? indeed, the answer can be read from what u'd written here! like (get used to it) or (tendancy to anticipate too much and take the pic too early).
    in the early 90's. some photographer were still using a nikon 801 for sports.(i was using a nikon f3 with motordrive.) i asked them during tennis event."how can u do a good sports photo with such camera? he said " if i wanna get the guy on my right in action with a tennis ball in the air. i will press the shutter when i hear the sound of "a hitting ball" on the left" i said. good tricks!
    but was that the moment he'd been looking for. only he can tell!
    Actually, with the D30 or 10D I did the same... When I heard the opponent smashing I pressed the shutter and usually got something close to what I was looking for, like in this old D30 pic : http://www.nobrakes.ch/photos/swiss_...61_resized.jpg

    But with the 1D the timing is different, you have to press a little later, you get used to it but it's a bit weird at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat
    and that's answer to the shutter time lag issue! i would say full of paradox boy!
    nevertheless those are some really nice picture.
    thx for sharing.
    Well, I'm full of paradoxes anyway

    But of course I'll say that a camera with a short shutter lag is better for everything, including sports. Nevertheless, a slower camera (like an entry-level DSLR) doesn't hamper you from getting good shots.

  13. #319
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    sg
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Differences between DSLRs
    Of course you can get a good shot from any DSLR. After all, in the course of a badminton match, a player will smash, say 20 times (at least), so you get 20 chances to take a good photo of a smash... it's all a % game. One has to ask, how many pics did he have to discard before getting one good shot?


    Shutter lag
    Since i shoot wideopen to maximise shutter speed and blur the background, i can use the custom function to reduce the 1d2 shutter lag to 37ms.

    However, one advantage 20D may have over 1D2 is better iso 1600 performance. Like i mentioned b4, i hope to test the 20D at the next Singapore Open.

  14. #320
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    Differences between DSLRs
    Of course you can get a good shot from any DSLR. After all, in the course of a badminton match, a player will smash, say 20 times (at least), so you get 20 chances to take a good photo of a smash... it's all a % game. One has to ask, how many pics did he have to discard before getting one good shot?
    It's all about the timing... and the autofocus system

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    Shutter lag
    Since i shoot wideopen to maximise shutter speed and blur the background, i can use the custom function to reduce the 1d2 shutter lag to 37ms.
    Oh, I forgot I could do that in a personal function. Actually, since I use zooms wide open and primes a bit stopped down, activating this function would give me two different shutter lags, which could be quite difficult to get used to when shooting timing-critical sports like badminton.

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    However, one advantage 20D may have over 1D2 is better iso 1600 performance. Like i mentioned b4, i hope to test the 20D at the next Singapore Open.
    Yes, evolution is very fast and newer models like the 20D and 5D are certainly better than the 1D markII on some points.

  15. #321
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,279
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    It's all about the timing
    .
    wether it's photography or badminton.....I got no timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    ....and the autofocus system
    .
    my poor skills cannot do better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabok
    Actually, with the D30 or 10D I did the same... When I heard the opponent smashing I pressed the shutter and usually got something close to what I was looking for, like in this old D30 pic.
    Neat tip! I shall try this next time..

  16. #322
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here are a few of my first attempts at badminton photography. I got a Canon EOS350 just before Christmas and I've only used the kit lens so far. The hall is very dim unfortunately but I've managed to borrow a 1.8 50mm lens which I'm going to try out at a tournament tomorrow in the same hall. Some were taken in RAW but I soon ran out of space and finished off shooting as JPEGs. I've altered the brightness & contrast in all of them as they were just too dark.

    Obviously I need significantly higher shutter speeds which hopefully the 1.8 lens will help with.

    IMG_0306.JPG - f/4.5 1/50sec
    IMG_0291.JPG - f/5.6 1/50sec
    IMG_0322.JPG - f/4.0 1/50sec
    IMG_0333.JPG - f/3.5 1/60sec
    IMG_0352.JPG - f/3.5 1/125sec
    Attached Images Attached Images          

  17. #323
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is one of mine. Taken with my Pentax IstDS (very bad light in the hall).
    Who can guess the man with his hands in his trousers in the background?




    Regards
    Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Badminton Photography
    By DoublesPlease in forum CCC Badminton Club
    Replies: 40
    : 10-01-2007, 05:32 AM
  2. Lens for Badminton Photography
    By Sealman in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 13
    : 03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
  3. Badminton Photography
    By Shabok in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 685
    : 09-30-2006, 03:02 AM
  4. earlier years of Badminton Tournaments Photography
    By omnislazh in forum Market Place
    Replies: 0
    : 06-28-2005, 04:32 PM
  5. Photography
    By Virocon in forum General Forum
    Replies: 2
    : 03-15-2003, 11:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •