User Tag List

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am aware of computer lens design and improvements in glasses. I do read photography magazines and many do carry lens tests. However, my own testing results, using colour test charts and viewing the image from a frosted glass on the shutter plane of a tripod-mounted camera with a high quality 40 x magnifier and then using field testing using ASA 25 color slides, lead me to disbelieve some of the magazines' test results.
    If you can get hold of a, say Leica M4 camera with an 50mm/f2 summicron lens and the best Japanese lens from Canon or Nikon on a Canon or Nikon camera, you can then simply test the lenses by using low speed, ultra high resolution color slide film of ASA 25, and then project the slides taken from the 2 different camera/lens combinations with a high quality Leitz or Zeiss 35mm projector on to a 4 feet by 6 feet projection screen, you will see what I mean. Many people think that in itself resolution in lines per mm is indicative of quality. You can have a lens with very high resolution but poor contrast, and the color slides will come out poor.
    The Canon L series lenses has a long history and is Canon's low cost approach to making lenses approaching apochromatic lenses quality but without the extremely high costs of true apochromatic lenses. The L lenses are made from fluoride, I believe, but fluoride is not very thermally stable.
    I have a 150mm/f2 kipnoptic apochromatic lens and there is nothing, not even the famous Zeiss lenses mounted on Hassabld cameras, can come close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now for a lighter break:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

The Seven Levels of Photographers by Ken Rockwell. Scroll down to Level 1.

-dave
    Disclaimer: Impetus is HUMOR ... not sarcasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... lens with L-glass is already pretty pricey. If apochromatic lenses are more expensive than that, then I think I'll have to pass on them for the sake of my piggy bank.

-Rick

p.s. To Dave, that link you have up there is just awesome!!!
    Last edited by Traum; 02-12-2004 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CCD vs CMOS vs whatever else

Hi, I was trying to shop for a better digital camera tonight (well, I was actually trying to search), but I found myself a little bit lost in some terms in the newest technology.

My aim would be on the DSLR, such as the new Canon 300D...etc, and budget is around $1000-1500USD for a basic bundle of camera and lens. (since I have everything else)

Then, I see lots of people saying CCD.....and CMOS....and I was wondering what's difference between them? (or if there are any other stuff) and which one usually works better?

I am not a big camera person, but I do take lots of pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt you'll find SLRs with cmos. CCD is much better because it's more sensitive to light. Unless you want to walk around with a 1000 watt bulb, i'd say go with CCD. A lot of high resolution CMOS cameras can take pictures at CCD's quality at a much lower resolution though, but you could just buy a lower resolution CCD camera for around the same price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I forgot to mention, my knowledge of cameras stays at the film camera level.
    Although I have a Sony F707, but I don't know anything about the CMOS or CCD or any parts of the digital cameras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ccd had more R&D so it had more refinement. However CMOS is catching up and cmos weakness is slowly disappearing. Each have their own strength and weakness. Best is to judge them on their picture results versus your need and price point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey bluejeff. From what I understand, CCD sensors have been around for a bit longer, and might have a very slight edge because of the maturity. However, CCD sensors consume quite a bit more power than CMOS sensors. Also, I am not 100% certain about this, but I think CMOS sensors have a better signal-to-noise ratio than their CCD counterparts as well.

If you're looking for a dSLR with a price range of US$1000 to $1500 for the whole package, then your best bet (or should I say only choices) would be the Canon Digital Rebel / 300D and the Nikon D70.

You can find a pretty comprehensive review review of both cameras from Digital Photography Review here:

Canon DRebel / 300D Review

Nikon D70 Review

Incidentally, the Canon DRebel / 300D uses a CMOS sensor, while the Nikon D70 uses a CCD sensor.

These two dSLRs are pretty much direct competitors to each other, so featurewise, they are pretty well-matched against each other. The Canon DRebel / 300D has been around since September, and prices have come down a bit since the initial introduction. The price advantage will allow you to use the money you saved from the body on lens and accessories.

On the other hand, the Nikon D70 is a freshly release camera, and it has the slight edge as far as features are concerned (Canon deliberately crippled the firmware and disabled certain functions for the DRebel in order to prevent it from competing against its more expensive sibling, the 10D, which have almost exactly the same internals).

I'm a Canon guy, so I am naturally biased. However, if you already own a 35mm film SLR from either brand, I'd recommend you to stay with the same manufacturer. That way, you'd be able to reuse most (if not all) of the equipment that you have already invested in.

-Rick

p.s. As I have already mentioned in another thread, BH Photo is probably one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) place on Earth for camera equipment. They have a very solid reputation, and you won't be sorry for getting your equipment from there.
    Last edited by Traum; 02-14-2004 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after seeing some 300d sample pics... i have to say i'm quite impressed. Much better than the cheap CMOS i've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was thinking aboutthe Canon-300D and Nikon-D70!

Because people said that they are competitors to each other with similar prices, but one is CMOS and one is CCD....and I started to wonder....

Cool, I guess I will have to check out both soon, and also look for the power part (because I don't like cameras which eats power like crazy.....it's bad for outdoor use, and no, I don't want to use the external power pack because that's heavy)

Thanks guys.
    (I know BC has all kinds of people with all kinds of solutions !! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another consideration is that the D70 was just announced a couple weeks ago, and that from announcement to actually appearing on the shelves, you're maybe looking for the Fall of this year.

In addition, you'd probably have to get on a waiting list, wait for back-orders and such, so I speculate you have to wait till Christmas to get your hands on one.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCD doesn't use that much power... i used 4xaa alkaline (not nimh or li-ion) in the summer and was able to take around 250 pics, with around 25% of them with flash. You could expect twice that on nimh or more on li-ion. Plus, just bring more batteries if you plan on taking more than 500 pics a day. I'm just guessing they use AAs and not some expensive proprietary size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default test

Pix of Nikon's D70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pix?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

showoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually HAVE a D70 ... but I'm sure looking to get one for Christmas this year! Plus lens and flash too.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wood_22_chuck
    I'm sure looking to get one for Christmas this year! Plus lens and flash too.
    Does she know about your little request? Or will you be surprising her with the bill as you say "Thanks Honey"!

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast