User Tag List

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to eat more instant noodle dinners maybe three times a week, oil change the car at 2x the recommended interval ... hmmmm MAYBE I can pull it off!

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.....some people told me that when you want to do some serious photography, you must consider some (I forgot which) Nikon cameras, and I don't understand why he said this to me since I think Canon makes more cameras than Nikon, isn't it?

Especially, when everytime you are reading magazines, you will see photographers are using Canon's cameras all the time (EOS-1, ......all of the Canon EOS systems), so I am not sure about Nikon's quality though.

Do you guys ever own a Nikon digital camera? Oh, also, are all lens interchangable? ( that is, can most of the Nikon's lens fit onto the D70? well, I guess I'll have to wait till the release time to find out since no one has it now )

But I think somepeople told me that you can fit most of the canon lens onto 300D without any problem, especially the USM ones, which are what I like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

// You have to consider Nikon if you want to get into serious photography

There's a clean line between professional-level cameras and consumer/prosumer. Not brands. Any function that is useful to photography is available in BOTH camera companies, Nikon and Canon.

// I see more Canon cameras

Canon cameras are, in general, slightly cheaper than Nikon.

// Interchangeable lenses

Both camera companies' DSLR support interchangeable lenses.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Canon guy, so I can only speak about the Canon stuff. The Digital Rebel / 300D uses the EF-S lens mount which is compatible with pretty much all of the EF lens that Canon makes. (I think a very small number of really old Canon EF lens might not work with the 300D, but you probably won't find them in the store anymore) Furthermore, the EF-S mount also support the EF-S lens (there is only one right now, which is the kit lens that comes with the camera). The EF-S lens reaches further back into the camera body than the standard EF lens, thus allowing for a more compact design of the lens as a whole. It also seems to allow Canon to create ultra wide lens using less expensive optics.

Be aware that with the 300D, there are certain 3rd party lens that does not work with the camera even though they feature the EF lens mount. I would think that the Nikon D70 would also suffer from the same problem for a small number of 3rd party lens as well.

Last but not least, the 300D only support flash units that feature Canon's E-TTL flash metering. Since E-TTL is a propietary system that is only available from Canon's EX-series flash units, it means you must use a Canon EX flash unit. Third party flash guns will NOT work with the 300D. Having said that, I personally find that E-TTL is a very capable system, and it can produce some very flattering flash pictures.

-Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bigredlemon
    after seeing some 300d sample pics... i have to say i'm quite impressed. Much better than the cheap CMOS i've seen.
    I was going to say since Canon's been using the CMOS system that's in the 300d since the 10d (which is pretty much a pro camera) and it's a great sensor system. Even the 1D Mk II has moved to CMOS (old one has CCD). RRP of USD 4500 though, ouch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I fount this:

http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp

And it tells me CCD has better quality, so I guess I should wait for the D70??
    (Although I really like Canon 300D, which has much more lenses and accessories to choose from than Nikon....sigh....nothing is perfect..... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Pecheur
    I was going to say since Canon's been using the CMOS system that's in the 300d since the 10d (which is pretty much a pro camera) and it's a great sensor system. Even the 1D Mk II has moved to CMOS (old one has CCD). RRP of USD 4500 though, ouch.
    Yeah, the DRebel / 300D is pretty much a watered down version of the higher end EOS 10D. The 6.3 MegaPixel CMOS sensor is the same, the DIGIC image processor is the same. The magnesium alloy housing was replaced by a plastic body. The image buffer got smaller. Certain advanced functions were crippled through firmware. But for the most part, a lot of the internals are taken directly from the 10D.

Originally posted by bluejeff
    Ah, I fount this:

(Although I really like Canon 300D, which has much more lenses and accessories to choose from than Nikon....sigh....nothing is perfect..... )
    Personally, I would only take that article you found with a grain of salt. Most of the information in there seems to come from 2001 to Feb 2002. I think CMOS sensors have matured quite a bit since then. If I am not mistaken, Canon released the D30 (a 3MP dSLR) in late 2000. Its successor, the D60 (a 6MP dSLR) was announced in March 2002. A year later, the 10D (a 6MP dSLR as well) was introduced to replace the D60. With each generation of these EOS dSLRs, their CMOS sensors have successively improved. Because of the recent advancements, the stuff that your article says may no longer be true.

As I've suggest before, the difference between the CCD and CMOS sensors in the D70 and 300D shouldn't be too significant. If you already own equipment from a either brand, that should probably be a more important deciding factor for you. Or, if there are features you are going to need, factor that into your decision as well. The sensor issue shouldn't be any concern.

-Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I fount this:

*coughs in disbelief*

You know that article is actually rather dated. Problem was that people decided quite early on that CCD would work better for digicams and progressed on with developing them. Canon made a decision a few years ago that CMOS could create images just as well as CCD with lower cost and energy use and so instead of buying third party CCD, went ahead with developing it's own CMOS sensors.

Looking at the pics of the EOS-1D compared to its immediate competitor the D2H if you think the Nikon produces images that are any better (I'm not saying that the 1D is better) then your eyes are far more sensitive than mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urg.....I never thought about buying a DSLR camera is such a hard task.
    Lots of technologies that I don't know plus lots of $$ concerns....

Hmm....Maybe I should wait till the D70 comes out, and go to a store to try both of them? (maybe by that time, the 300D's price would go down a bit )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urg.....I never thought about buying a DSLR camera is such a hard task.
    Lots of technologies that I don't know plus lots of $$ concerns....

Hmm....Maybe I should wait till the D70 comes out, and go to a store to try both of them? (maybe by that time, the 300D's price would go down a bit )

dont forget sigma's foveon
    http://camera-care.com/discover%20on%20foveon.htm

sony's strategy is to just lower price when competition comes. CCD is now pretty cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    dont forget sigma's foveon
    http://camera-care.com/discover%20on%20foveon.htm

sony's strategy is to just lower price when competition comes. CCD is now pretty cheap.

Sigma??

Oh, Is sigma a sony's sub-company?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, it's sony's nightmare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked in this industrial right now (just built a board and designed hardware and firmware to interface a CMOS sensor, I spent months to compare them before I proposed to my boss which way we should go). CMOS and CCD are very fundamental light sensing technologies. Do not pay too much attention for deciding a camera just based on this. They have both high and low. CMOS technologies have been improved a lot due to big money poured into it. CCD is still ruling the high end. And CMOS just started to make serious challenges at the level that you are looking for in the camera market. For a camera, you need to see the picture they take and other features. There is lots of post processing after pictures are taken (initial light capture). They will make big difference for final end results. For the power part, CCD is much more power hungry than CMOS as a raw sensor, but they may only contribute 10% total power of a camera system (and you can play tricks to CCD sensor to conserve power). Overall, you would not feel too much difference on batteries at the level you are looking at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Cost of a 2GB CompactFlash Card: US$ 450+
    Cost of a 4GB Creative MuVo² MP3 Player: US$ 250
    Dismantling the MuVo2 and using its 4GB drive as a CF Card: Priceless!

“We took a Lexar Media CompactFlash card to compare this Hitachi drive to and its identical in size, except it’s a little thicker. To make sure that the card would fit in CF slots, we used the Shuttle built-in card reader on their XPC and we had a perfect match.

We recommend people with Digital Cameras and PDAs that support CompactFlash to get this as you wont find a better deal. What’s even better is that you can sell the bare MP3 player on ebay for $30. Now who says you cant have your cake and eat it too.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fluid lens

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04...sfluidlens.asp

At this year’s CeBIT Exhibition in Hannover Germany, Philips Research is demonstrating a unique variable-focus lens system that has no mechanical moving parts. Suited to a wide range of optical imaging applications, including such things as digital cameras, camera phones, endoscopes, home security systems and optical storage drives, Philips’ FluidFocus system mimics the action of the human eye using a fluid lens that alters its focal length by changing its shape. The new lens, which lends itself to high volume manufacturing, overcomes the fixed-focus disadvantages of many of today’s low-cost imaging systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 300D hacked

so, have any 300D user able to convert it into 10D equivalent?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Kwun, what camera are you using? anyone have tried the Canon Digital SLR REbel?
    i have a Sony DSC-V1 digital cam. as well as a Nikon N70 (F70) regular SLR film camera. wish i have a DSLR, but they are way too expensive!

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast