User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will Lee Chong Wei win the 2013 World Championship?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Lee Chong Wei will win!

74 39.36%
  • No, he will lose.

114 60.64%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    My support to LCW to win a WC doesn't mean I like him. Simply because he is the best non-Chinese MS player that should be able to give hope to all non-Chinese MS players by winning at least one WC, preferably by beating LD at least once in a major like WC.

And obviously 2013 could be the last possible LCW-LD major and that's why i want LD in this WC, and also want LCW to win this WC.

Yet LCW disappointed me by strongly object to LD's presence by non-badmibton reasons instead of embracing it bravely and endeavor to beat LD on court instead.

I still think LCW could win this WC just because I don't think LD had the form, desire nor motivation to stop him and CL may not yet possess the stability in really big occasions (like his performance in OG).
    It is true that both LCW and CL have a point to prove in this WC.

On a lighter note, I believe LCW's grandfather generation came from the same province (Fu Jiang) in China as LD so they speak the same dialect (Min Nan) apart from Mandarin I guess. Any chance can our dear fans do some investigations on this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ting_ht View Post
    It is true that both LCW and CL have a point to prove in this WC.

On a lighter note, I believe LCW's grandfather generation came from the same province (Fu Jiang) in China as LD so they speak the same dialect (Min Nan) apart from Mandarin I guess. Any chance can our dear fans do some investigations on this?
    I have always wonder about this. Does LD speak Min Nan or Hakka?
    Last edited by pcll99; 06-03-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    I have always wonder about this. Does LD speak Min Nan or Hakka?
    There're hundreds of dialects in Fujian, which cannot communicate each other.

LD is a Hakka, he can speak Hakka. Hakka people were immigrated from northern China long time ago.

LCW's ancestor migrated from Fujian to Malaysia. I'm not sure whether he's Hakka, or Min Nan. I believe he can speak some Min Nan at least. But Lee, this family name, is a dominant family name for Hakka, famous Lees include: Lee Hsien Loong and Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Ministers of Singapore
    Lee Teng-hui, former President of Taiwan...

Anyhow, Both LD and LCW can speak fluent mandarin, they have talked using mandarin before.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    There're hundreds of dialects in Fujian, which cannot communicate each other.

LD is a Hakka, he can speak Hakka. Hakka people were immigrated from northern China long time ago.

LCW's ancestor migrated from Fujian to Malaysia. I'm not sure whether he's Hakka, or Min Nan. I believe he can speak some Min Nan at least. But Lee, this family name, is a dominant family name for Hakka, famous Lees include: Lee Hsien Loong and Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Ministers of Singapore
    Lee Teng-hui, former President of Taiwan...

Anyhow, Both LD and LCW can speak fluent mandarin, they have talked using mandarin before.
    I believe LCW can speak some Cantonese; I heard him speak Cantonese when he was playing in Macau; he was interviewed by a Hong Kong tv station.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe LCW can speak some Cantonese; I heard him speak Cantonese when he was playing in Macau; he was interviewed by a Hong Kong tv station.
    LCW is from Penang, he speaks Hokkien. As you know, Penang nites speak Hokkien. He should be able to speak some Cantonese after so many years in KL.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    LCW is from Penang, he speaks Hokkien. As you know, Penang nites speak Hokkien. He should be able to speak some Cantonese after so many years in KL.
    Thanks.

Many Mainland Chinese students, after living in Hong Kong for many years, do not and cannot speak any Cantonese.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Hokkien = Min Nan.

I said LCW can at least speak Min Nan, which is Hokkien. I'm not sure whether he can speak Hakka. Lee is a popular name among Hakka.

LD: Mandarin, Hakka.
    LCW: Mandarin, Hokkien, some Cantonese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like CL to win it... but sadly I know CL cannot beat LD tbh... he has too much respect for LD that even though he has the capability to win, he would not do it....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both DuPY and WZM are disappointing with early round exits, R2 actually, in the SIN Open. I honestly now don't think they are a threat to Lee CW in the WC. Chen Long remains his No.1 threat but Chen Long is no Super Dan, at least not yet. And Lin Dan post-LOG is I believe certainly not (maybe never will be) on par with Super Dan in between and including the two Olympics, Beijing 2008 and London 2012.

My conclusion is Lee CW is definitely the frontrunner for this coming World Championships and, I'd add, probably his best and last chance to win it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Many Mainland Chinese students, after living in Hong Kong for many years, do not and cannot speak any Cantonese.
    I find the same situation exists in Toronto, immigrants from Mainland and Taiwan refuse to learn Cantonese unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of the time it is the Cantonese(mainly from HK) speaking trying to communicate with them in Mandarin. You know how awful it is for a HK born Cantonese speaking Mandarin. This situation has been existing for as long as I can remember, I guarantee it will remain cause now Canada has more Mandarin speaking immigrants than Cantonese. I am not trying to start an argument, it is just my own observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree LCW and Chen Long are the hot favourites to get WC title at the moment. However, I won't rule out LD. LD has skipped IO and SO to prepare for WC. So, he at least showed his interest to play well in WC. If he still has strong desire for the title and really train hard toward WC as he planned, he is still no 1 favourite for the title in my opinion. I still remembered how he lost WC in 2010 and bounced back to win Asian Games gold medal just a couple months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Both DuPY and WZM are disappointing with early round exits, R2 actually, in the SIN Open. I honestly now don't think they are a threat to Lee CW in the WC. Chen Long remains his No.1 threat but Chen Long is no Super Dan, at least not yet. And Lin Dan post-LOG is I believe certainly not (maybe never will be) on par with Super Dan in between and including the two Olympics, Beijing 2008 and London 2012.

My conclusion is Lee CW is definitely the frontrunner for this coming World Championships and, I'd add, probably his best and last chance to win it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jkkwongnz View Post
    I agree LCW and Chen Long are the hot favourites to get WC title at the moment. However, I won't rule out LD. LD has skipped IO and SO to prepare for WC. So, he at least showed his interest to play well in WC. If he still has strong desire for the title and really train hard toward WC as he planned, he is still no 1 favourite for the title in my opinion. I still remembered how he lost WC in 2010 and bounced back to win Asian Games gold medal just a couple months later.
    I am not sure if LD, DPY and WZM are hiding something in IO and SO but I believe that we will see the true faces of the Chinese players when it comes to big tournaments like WC, especially on their home soil.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkkwongnz View Post
    But even with those trainings and preparations, LD would still lack of game senses or whatever it is, due to long absence from tournaments. Do you think he still has decent chance to win?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I THINK LCW this time has good chance to win. Just see how well prepared he was in recent 2013 DIO... he just had tough match in the first round, once his engine kicked off he played as if a destroyer.
    LD may face great challenges to fully recover his games while CL may not be fully ready to take over.

This time possibly is LCW's last chance yet his best one to win the title.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@2cents
    hokkien and minnan is slightly different i believe?
    i know hokkien but when i watch taiwan minnan news/drama,there is some different.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

its harder for chinese student from china to learn another dialect i guess?
    guangdong and guangxi had different dialect while fujian and fuzhou is totally different too.
    each of the dialect have many branches too.
    my mum went to our ancestor hakka village and yet she cant understand some of the hakka branches,too deep she said.

in malaysia it is easier since there is lesser dialect.
    the major was cantonese,hokkien(not minnan) and hakka
    others minor was hainan,fuzhou(east malaysia) etc

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cantonese in HK and Guangzhou has slightly different accent. But it's hard to tell the difference.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast