XP - how to force installation of language packs?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by kwun, Nov 12, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    usually when i surf to a foreign language webpage, IE will ask if i want to install the language pack. however, for some reason clicking "install" doesn't do it on my computer. it will ignore my request and then continue to display glibberish.

i tried also going into the internet setting and clicking install of SE Asian languages. i get the same thing. request ignored.

is there a way to force the installation of a certain language package for XP?

i have a setup which was originally XP Home and later i upgraded to XP Pro. not sure how that matters.

anyway, appreciate any ideas, without Chinese language fonts, i cannot read the badminton articles in Chinese!

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You get to go Windows Update to do it!

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    or if that dont work, you gotta find the link where u can download a language pack then manually install it.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

East Asian Language Support must first be installed before east-asian language packs can be utilized. The support file is about 700 megs.

Start > control panel > regional controls and settings > languages tab > install files for east asian languages

The above will enable support for chinese, korean, viet, jap, thai and a others.

Now click details and add the languages you want.

Some web pages are encoded in the appropriate language and will work fine but some are encoded in unicode which makes IE display the individual characters rather than try to interpret them. You can force it to interpret them by clicking view > encoding > and select what you think it's encoded in. There's about 7 different encodings for chinese alone by big5 is usually used for HK chinese and CJKGB is used for mainland chinese.

#4 bigredlemon, Nov 12, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tried the support install, too.

when i select the support and then click apply, windows deselects my selection and does *nothing*

it is as if something is telling windows that east asian languages is disallowed in my installation.

6. bigredlemon

means the support for the languages is damaged. Most likely, installing was started but stopped somehow, so windows thinks its finnished installing when it in fact was not finnished. Uninstalling it, then reinstalling it would do it.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how do i uninstall it?

8. bigredlemon

could you describe in detail the checkmark box as you click it and try to install it? (background color, presence of checkmark) and how they change when you click check and click OK to install?

Windows may gray out boxes but i've never heard of it automatically removing a checkmark from a white box when you click ok.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. i was surprised too. here is what i get when i clicked the check box, i got this notice:

Attached Files:

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the notice seems to be harmless.

then after i click OK on the notice and then click Apply, i get back the dialog box with nothing happened:

Attached Files:

11. bigredlemon

so you get the dialogue box right after clicking the check box and not the OK button? And when you click OK on the dialogue box, that box dissapears and the checkmark disappears as well?

Does the same thing happen when you press enter and escape (not at same time) when the dialogue box pops up?

12. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i think something in windows is damaged. if you really want to get the language packs my suggestion would be to backup your files, format the disk and reload xp pro on it. when it asks you to install language packs, then install it. but this is only the extreme case.

when you check the install support for east asian languages as well, doesn't it ask you to put in the install cd?

13. bigredlemon

it doesn't ask until you hit the final OK or the apply. The checkmark seems to be dissapearing at the first OK, but he's not clear on what he meant so i'm not sure.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when i click the first OK on the warning. it give me back the dialog box with the box checked. only if i click "apply" or "ok" on that dialog box did windows ignore my selection.