Hitting shuttle at the side

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by samir12, Mar 29, 2013.

1. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Hi, I have a problem when the shuttle is not in front of me rather its on the side (but I'm still behind it) I can't seem to generate any power when I hit it from the side, what can I do to solve this problem? I see a lot of pros that still manage to generate a lot of power when hitting from the side like in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmKa7cJ41A&t=1m24s

What can I do to solve this problem?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Forearm pronation on forehand, and supination on backhand?

3. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Is there a specific grip I should use or just the basic grip? I'm practicing using the pronation technique at the moment.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Can you explain a bit clearer the shot you're trying to improve? I don't understand if its a low net lift, a smash, clear or drive??

5. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Its like a clear, rather than hitting from the top of my head but from the side of my body, more like what Chen Long does at 1:26 on the video I linked in my first post. When I do that it tends not even reach my opponents half court.

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i think you need a fast stroke and a lot of power in your wrist which you bundle for the time of hitting the shuttle so wristtraining and good timing would be my beginners guess certainly not a pronation/supination thing which obviously has to be mentioned right in the first posting as it is in pretty much every thread .........

7. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Dont take big tennis swing. But since u r hitting is low (compare to overhead), watch your racket angle. Many players ended up netting it (without the adjustment).

8. fauci

fauci Regular Member

use exactly the same swing as in a clear but horizontally

9. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

the elbow degree directly controls how much power you generate, but it is also important with footwork, remember to angle your body toward your oppoent while hitting, so that your body motion matches the racket. I also think it's best for power to hit just as your foot touches the ground. Pay heed to these things and practice well and I think you'll get it. It's not an easy stroke to master.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You may need to adjust the grip slightly towards a thumb grip. It will depend on the situation. The grip must allow the racket face (at impact) to point in the direction of the shot, ensuring a clean hit rather than slicing.

The technique is quite similar to a normal clear technique, but you are in a disadvantageous position and will not be able to use your body as much, and you will need to keep the swing somewhat short. This means the "shoulders and arm" part of your hitting must be efficient. These kinds of shots often reveal inefficiencies in a player's general clear technique, because the player is relying too much on body rotation and a large arm action.

It's essential to get into a stable position, turning the body outwards to reach into the corner. The footwork is quite different from a "normal" clear. You need to lunge or semi-lunge into the corner.

Notice that, despite the huge pressure, Chen Long still makes contact with the racket head about head height -- not near the ground. If your contact point is low, the shot becomes much harder.