Badminton shall try 11 pt per game and best-of-7-games match like table tennis

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Jonc108, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Badminton shall try 11 pt per game and best-of-7-games match like table tennis to increase the excitement.

2. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

Source?
    I don't think that would be very exciting tbh.

3. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    If this happens it will ruin the game as it stops players fitness levels being a factor and any flow to the game. Table tennis has longer rallies so this scoring system is better suited to table tennis.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sounds great I think it would do the game great, much more TV/commentary, stat, etc friendly as well. I think it would increase skill level in badminton as well, Imo the current scoring relies or focuses too much on out and out fitness.

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

The cynic in me wonders if it's just an excuse to get more ad-breaks in.

Personally, I find 21-rally point about the right length for the pros, but too quick for the amateur league player. I've had entire matches go by and not got a decent sweat going. I certainly can't agree that 21-rally is too focused on fitness.

Not sure whether 11 up to 7 would produce more random results than 21 up to 3. Logically, the result of an individual game would vary more, but playing more games would favour the stronger player/pair.

Overall, this is a dreadful idea and hope the OP was posted 2 days too early.

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

there used to be this up to 7 points(??), best of 7 sets thing. and it was so shitty that after a year or so they stopped it.

21 rally point is alright, it's the right mixture between technique and fitness (and hey: it's a SPORT, so fitness IS crucial!!)

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Was this an April Fool from the future?

8. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I'd rather have an automatic win if any player(s) get ahead by 9 points. I really hate when the score is 19-11 and then no one really tries on the last few points because it's almost impossible to comeback from that.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If this is true the first thing I thought was for TV ad breaks. Not sure why you have to be a cynic. Bwf mission statement is basically about bringing badminton to wider audience and making it more popular and increasing revenues, TV is a very important part. I think making it more attractive to TV companies is a major priority(It's not like it is some well established sport on sky sports every weekend and they are trying to stiff us with ads) If this points system was a factor for getting it on TV regularly, that is a good enough reason to change alone.

10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Almost impossible yes, but for sure it CAN happen.

In my doubles match in a tournament last weekend, me and my partner found ourselves down 19-12. We got back to 20-19 and held a match point. It would have been an incredible moment for us but unfortunately we couldn't snatch that last point... :(

And of players that do have relevance: Saina Nehwal was leading Maria Kristin Yulianti by 11-3 in the change-over of their deciding set in the 2008 Olympics, only to lose 16 of the following 17 points to find herself down 12-19.

I think this scoring system is perfect and see no reason to change it. I liked the old scoring system too but I think guys and girls should have used the same scores, it was silly that ladies single went to 11 and everything else to 15. But sometimes this format was a little frustrating as a match could sometimes get "stuck" and neither player scored for a while.

11. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

If it's ratings we're after, how about we emulate tennis? Dozen or so rallies with a change of ends and a nice sit-down...

Whilst any attempt to widen the appeal of the game is to be applauded & supported, let's not trivialize what is a good (though imperfect) game.

12. ChubbyCheshire

ChubbyCheshire Regular Member

We play to 11 on nights when we have people sitting out, so they don't get too cold. I much prefer 21s, just think how many games change in the second half - also games to 11, blink and they're all over !

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

"Blink and they're all over" maybe the first and second game but after that you will start to settle in, the match is best of 7 remember not just 1 game to 11. Now instead of games changing in the second half it will be come backs from say 2-0 games down to 4-2 games up.

14. ChubbyCheshire

Yes I suppose that's right. Depends what we think TV wants - the switch to 21s, made the games more attacking and shorter. 11s would be very attacking, but potentially longer - as 7 games to 11, with breaks would normally be longer than 3 games to 21s with breaks - and only the the shortest matches - 4-0 - would be similar to a 2-0.

I'm not really sure why TV, in the UK at least, rarely show badminton - it's fast, it's exciting, doesn't have breaks every 2 minutes and 1 game doesn't last for hours and hours, so fits in better with programming. Sky do a great job of All England - but that is the only decent coverage and highlights don't do the game justice.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I would imagine it is purely down to ratings. Not this years all England but last year, Sky was covering it and it was on skysports3 i think, but half way through the day, even though not scheduled they cut it to a minor ATP event and All England went to red button(shame because i was out and recorded it only to have half the day when i got back). So ratings for badminton at least last year for UK must have been pathetic, not even as good as some minor ATP event.

The problem with your other point is currently it does go on for hours and hours - last like 6 hours for a finals day. BWF package it giving each event equal respect(wrongly imo) so not TV friendly. Too much for "semi" Badminton fans in the UK to get their heads around therefore they will not watch/follow.

#15 craigandy, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  16. ChubbyCheshire

Yes the whole event lasts for hours, (so does Wimbledon) but not each game (Wimbledon's do, but most only watch the singles) - perhaps instead of doing trophies after each match, they should do them all at the end - so the semi fan can see all the games, without big gaps inbetween and skip the ticker tape ?!

Yes I was recording the year they went to red button too - I was watching the recordings over several days, so by the time I realised the Men's doubles finals were missing, it was too late to pick it up off the repeat ! I note sometimes now Sky + will tell you that it is due to go to red button when you set it to record, and offer you the option what you want to record.

17. ChubbyCheshire

As a matter of interest, on the subject of equal respect - perhaps this should be a new thread, and could end up casuing controversial opinions, but what is your order of interest in the events ?

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

EXACTLY! I can't stress that enough. Even people that follow all tennis tour events can't get there heads around watching anything more than singles.

Yeah your right sky fixed the red button problem with the option list when you go to record.

#18 craigandy, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  19. ChubbyCheshire

But do they only watch the singles because it lasts for hours - you're all tennised out by the time the match is over !

So what do you consider the premium badders events ? -

Personally my order is MD,XD,MS,WD,WS - but suspect others will disagree !

20. ChubbyCheshire

WD could be higher if it was not so dominated by 1 pair !