Is this the correct way for overhead/ smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 24craigour, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 24craigour

24craigour New Member

Hey everyone.
    So I've been playing badminton for over a year now and have recently realised that I had an incorrect technique for clearing/ smashing, and have not been doing forearm pronation at all but rather just snapping my wrist slightly at the point of impact.

In my search for the right technique, I have discovered this video on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ
    Is this the correct technique to use if I want to generate power?

Also, I don't seem to understand how you manage to hit the shuttle cross court and use pronation at the same time. Surely you can hit it(if I'm right handed) to the right easily, but you cant really pronate and hit to the left as you're forearm is pronating the other way?

Hope I made sense. Any help is much appreciated.:D

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Yeah this is definitely one of the best tutorial videos out there for proper technique. As for hitting cross court, you have to change your contact point to be earlier in the pronation of the swing and also pronate maybe a little less so that you can hit the cross court shot. What jimmy provides is the basic form which you can then apply to all of your overhead shots.

There are going to be many variations of this technique to hit various shots, so don't try to think that the one way he showed the arm swing is the EXACT way to hit every shot

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You can adjust the direction of your shot by turning your whole body to face more crosscourt. Alternatively you can change the direction of your arm swing (so that it is moving more across your body than before). Or you can do a bit of both.