User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My uninformed understanding is that soccer is improving at a steady pace. However, the participation is a lot higher than badminton, isn't it? So I wouldn't expect 'the state' of badminton to be improving faster than that of soccer
    Last edited by amleto; 04-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    My uninformed understanding is that soccer is improving at a steady pace. However, the participation is a lot higher than badminton, isn't it? So I wouldn't expect 'the state' of badminton to be improving faster than that of soccer
    See that theory makes no sense to me. It's all about the numbers of the sport(played in a competitive manner) relative to other countries, as I have been saying. It is mostly a numbers game. Take UK for instance at high school a lot more folk play competitive football than snooker, cricket, curling(Scotland). But relative to other countries the latter sports are big hence the success, relative to other countries football is small hence the poorness. England in spite of all it's systems/ coaches blah blah are still already only level nearly behind US in quality of players at football(WC2010). Any highly populated country that turns their hand to any sport will eventually get to the top, the more competitive the sport has been played the longer it takes them(along with other factors i won't bore everyone with). There are loads of examples not only at the very top, and some exceptions that usually come with good reason.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"England in spite of all it's systems/ coaches blah blah are still already only level nearly behind US in quality of players at football(WC2010). Any"

That makes sense after I saw you location!

Joking aside, I take your point about the relative participation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2