Voltric Z-Force V Nanoray 800 - for doubles play

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by vonthemic, Apr 2, 2013.

1. vonthemic

vonthemic Regular Member

Hi All,

I've been playing for a number of years and have got to good level, but am still playing with a carbonex 8dx (i think), and it's started to degrade. I'm not that experienced with buying rackets and I have looked at a few sites to help, but would appreciate your experienced advice very much.

I'm looking for a fast racket that will give me a little more power (as that's where I'm weak). I read that the Z-Force offers help from back of court and great for smashing, but the nanoray 800 is quicker for doubles play.

I'd greatly appreciate any rational between choosing between this two rackets.

Thanks in advance.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Perhaps you should read this as well and decide then whether these (extra) stiff rackets are really suitable for you: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/40187-Shaft-stiffness-flexibility-explained. You would probably lose what little power you have by using the NR800 as apparently many can't get any power out of it so you definitely need to bring something to the table to tap into it's potential and likewise the Z-Force is not automatic extra power if it doesn't suit you (and many early birds have quickly sold it off because it was too much to handle).
    You can go the headheavy route but that doesn't mean you need to get the Z-Force ...

NanoRay 600 alternatively, as a non headheavy example, got a glowing review here http://badminton-coach.co.uk/4698/yonex-nanoray-600-badminton-racquet-review/

#2 demolidor, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. vonthemic

vonthemic Regular Member

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I understand what you mean about the stiffness, but I did use a flexible racket for a little while, and although my power increased, my accuracy went to pot, which is a big part of my game.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Then you probably would be better off looking for something more stiff (than NR600). A lot of trial and error to find that middle ground [​IMG]. Do you remember which model the flexible one was??

5. vonthemic

vonthemic Regular Member

Yes, it certainly seems that way! :) ... would you still recommend I stay away from Z-Force & NR800? If I was to get one of these, or borrow one to try out, which one do you think might be better?

The flexible one was a nanospeed, but can't remember the model no, it was a mid-low range in terms of price (around £35-40 i think)

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

I have a z-force and i really struggle with it when playing doubles. It just isn't agile, quick enough. It might be more or less suitable when you play mixed in the back, but i still would recommend at least voltric 80 instead. Z-force is a nice racket, you can get used to it, but it isn't forgiving at all, you'll have to be very precise with it and have a powerfull wrist to move it around quickly.
    Nanoray 800 might be quite okay actually, but i haven't had a chance to try it. If you'd have a chance, you should try some neutral-balanced rackets as well, like arcsaber 7 or arcsaber 11.

7. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Hi, I am using the Z-Force for doubles and have no major issues with it. I also have different brand of rackets and weight. I add tape to my lighter rackets to get it close to the Z-Force (3u), this was done so that the feel of different rackets would not be too great with the Z-Force. You may want to add weight to your rackets just to make it slightly head heavy to simulate how you would handle a Z-Force.

Than adjust according to what you feel good with. Weigh the racket and check it's CG, you now have the "racket" tailor to your feel. With that specs, you can shop around for a similar weight and CG racket.

The old pro's use to do this and I believe some of the current players also do that. Try it out and you'll be quite amaze of the result.

Cheers.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

If you can get Victor in your area (i think a bit difficult in London) you can try the Bravesword 10 or 11 or 12, they go from very stiff to mid stiff, and are very popular among double players, specially the 12.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Z-Force 4U is a great all-around racket for me. You get the advantages of a lighter racket and the power of the head heavy Z-Force.

I think you should try this one if you really want to choose between ZF and NR800 :)

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Depends on the style of doubles. Mostly attack - ZF. All-court... NR800 has the edge for me.

Yes, the NR800 has a lower power ceiling, but it's not all about power:).

11. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I too have reservations recomending ZF 3u for doubles. If you go for ZF at least do yourself a favour and get the 4u.
    There are lots of light/even balance, medium flex alternatives with great power and accuracy (at high tension at least).

12. vonthemic

vonthemic Regular Member

thanks for the info :)

13. vonthemic

vonthemic Regular Member

That seems like a good option, but I can't seem to find anywhere I can buy it :( ... I live in the UK.

14. walker83

walker83 Regular Member

I agree with meteor. I switched from a 3U NS9900 to a 4U ZF, I found that I still have the speed on defense and a bit more power on offense. I didn't really like the NR 800 much found it a bit lacking in terms of power.

15. meteor

meteor Regular Member

There are no oficial sellers of ZF 4u in UK unfortunately. Best option is mybadmintonstore.com
    I never bought from them but heard good reports.