Is MP 99 a long racquet or regular length?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sgt_Strider, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
  3. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

MP99

It's long but different from other rackets, because the extra length (1 cm) is in the handle, not the shaft.

If you compare it to for instance the Ti-10 Long, that racket has an extra 1 cm in the shaft, but the handle is the same size as other rackets, but the MP99 has a longer handle. I think that helps with doubles and also makes it more evenly balanced. I love it for doubles, being able to hold the racket so high up the shaft. I use my Ti-10 for doubles, but it's not easy, it's much better for singles.

David

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Re: MP99

unfortunately i don't have my mp99 with me as it's currently being strung so i can't make a comparison to see if that's true. but really? it doesn't surprise me because i remember when i first tried out the mp99, it felt like a short racket however i knew it was a long racket...i'm guessing the "feel" was different due to the 1 cm in the handle.

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Re: Re: MP99

It's true. I can sure this because I've bought 7 MP9x so far. :)

6. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

7 x MP99s!

Wow, you must really love the racket.

I felt kind of guilty for buying two without having tried them out first. But the pros agree with you, it certainly seems to be the most popular racket among the players on the grand prix circuit.

I know there is a lot of personal preference, but what string and tension have you found to be the best with this racket? I've tried BG-68Ti and BG-70 Pro, still not sure. I tried up to 28lbs and low as 22lbs.

David

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    3 out of those 7 MP9x had been broken :) One of the remaining four had a serious clash with someone else Ti-7 last week and I hope it won't be broken soon ...

I have only tried two types of strings on my MP9x so far - Yonex BG68Ti and Ashway MicroLegend (just once). I think harder strings like BG68Ti, BG65Ti or Gosen Aermet are more suitable to MP9x (if you like MP9x, you must like stiff racket). For me, I used BG68Ti 26 lbs in the old days, but has been switched to BG68Ti 24 lbs in recent months.