Voltric z-force an voltric 80 head-to-head

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by swunk, Apr 2, 2013.

1. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two head to head? I currently have VTZF 3U (for a month) and find myself struggling with it a bit. My feel is that it sort of lacks the agility a bit, even in singles play. I had a chance to hold Voltric 80 and 70 in a shop - I liked the feel of 80 a lot, a lighter feel, than my ZF. Voltric 70, on the other hand, felt worse in my hand, so it's out of the question. I don't have a chance to play VT80, so the question for me is - should i restring my VTZF 3U and try to adjust more to it or should I buy VT80 3U instead and sell VTZF later?

2. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Forgot to mention, my frustration with VTZF had me buy an Arcsaber 7 - I really like its maneuverability, but the deficit of smashing power bothers me sometimes.
    In theory I think something like Li-ning N55 would be perfect for me, but i don-t have a chance even to hold it and they cost 1.5 times more than yonex here.

3. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

In addition to that, could anyone please do a 4u VT-ZF vs 3u VT80 vs 3u VT-ZF comparison.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I have 4U of both.

VZTF is slightly stiffer and head heavier, but just as fast due to smaller frame.

However, because of smaller frame, tension feels slightly higher due to higher density string pattern, and also less forgiving due to smaller sweetspot. It is more powerful when hit consistently in sweetspot.

Still, I only use them for singles, as it's too slow for defence and fast rallies in doubles.

5. Sorlo

Sorlo Regular Member

which of these 2 have a bigger frame?

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

VTZF definitely has smaller frame than "conventional" rackets (like arcsaber 7). Not as small as ArcZS, though. But with VTZF I had to adjust my timing a bit, had some shots hitting the frame. VT80 seems to have a slightly larger head than VTZF. I see it as a plus, it makes easier to switch between rackets from singles to doubles.

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Visor, is the difference between 80 and ZF significant?

8. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    Would the 4u zf be able to generate a slightly faster racket head speed compared to the 3u?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep for me. I can just barely use the vt80 for fast doubles, but not vztf.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure, at the expense of ultimate smash power.

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Thanks, after reading the forum all day, made up my mind, gonna get VT80 tomorrow )

12. Justheretoplay

Student
    But if I couldn't swing the 3u as fast, would the 4u be more beneficial in smash power?

13. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Well I got myself the 3UG4 Voltric 80 today. Comparing to the 3U Z-force, they are quite different. ZF is definitely more head-heavy and, actually, the overall feel of VT80 is lighter, i don't know why. The main difference is that Z-force is stiffer. A lot. And it's the main problem with it for me. It's just not fast enough with quick wrist shots and quick smashes. You feel a sort of drag with it. VT80 feels much faster.
    These are only the first impressions, haven't gone to court yet. I strung both VT80 and VTZF with Toalson 66 Nano Premium at 26 to 24 lbs, so i'll be able to compare them head-to-head with identical strings and tension.

14. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I like to hear your review soon

15. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Well, had a chance to test both rackets today. In static, z-force and vt80 feel head-heavy about the same (maybe even vt80 feels slightly heavier). But in motion z-force feels heavier due to super stiff shaft. VT80 feels a bit more solid, but definitely easier to swing. But still a bit slow in doubles. I can't say that I bonded with VT80 instantly, but I like it and gonna stick to it. Strangely though, despite having a standard isometric frame, I had a number of mishits with the frame. Much more, than I usually have when playing my Arc7.
    Cant say much about the string, seems nice, repulsion and control are good. Played mostly with plastic, though, only played half a game with feathers and the feel was superb. But can't say that it's much better than BG80.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Vtzf has better control, stability, power(unreal if you can dial it in, this racket will make your smash faster). It is waaayy less maneuverable in defense/drives than the VT 80 for two reason the vt 80 has a lot more flex so you get a lot back from short sharp hits from what you put in and the other reason is simply the zf weight and BP make it harder to use in defence. If you are an amatuer(or maybe even pro) doubles player VT 80 will be so much more suitable. Don't underestimate the step up that the ZF is from the 80. this is with the 3u version for both. With regards to strings - If you are strong enough to extract the power out of the zf doesn't matter what string you use, but have your stringer on speed dial. it's a beast!
    Warning! I have seen countless people using the ZF down at my local courts and clearly, even if they don't admit it, struggle bad with it, constantly hooking shots etc because of maneuverability. I would go as far to say if you hear anyone that is of more power/better technique than you complaining about the ZF then this racket will be unusable for you.

17. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    Yeah I agree with craigandy, the VTZF is definitely a step up from the VT80 in terms of power and control. But defense wise I think it's probably similar to the VT80 as the extra weight in the head is offset by the smaller head frame, maybe overall just slightly less maneuverable.

I have owned both rackets, and the transition between both rackets can cause a little timing issue and subsequently mishits. I believe you'll get used to it eventually.

18. Justheretoplay

Student
    I just bought a 4u Z-force over the weekend, and I must say.. this thing is light! I normally use 3u rackets and I think this 4u feels really really light and it's probably on the lighter end ~81 or 82 grams. Power from smashes seems to be around the same as my 3u Z-slash and Vt70, although the racket does feel significantly lighter and more maneuverable.
    Before I bought the 4u, I demo'd a 3u but I couldn't seem to generate any power with it for some reason... I would have preferred some more power from it though, but it's not bad the way it is right now.