Request pic of broken racquet due to High Tension

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Side1021, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Side1021

Side1021 Regular Member

Hi!

Could someone plz post a picture of a broken racquet due to high tension? I've never seen one be4 and im wondering if a broken racquet due to high tension will look like the one i have.

Recently i just found out my TI-SS has a near 4cm crack on the side of the frame(10 O'clock). The crack is inward. It looks like the string is trying to pulling it in(along with those small pings).

It's used for 3 month already. And it was strung at 20lbs, and no clashes. Wondering how could it happend.

Thanx

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, if it is 20lbs. then whatever made it crack, it is *not* high tension. in nowadays terms, 20lbs would be considered low tension.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Due to the technology nowadays.. most rackets can withstand 20lbs. Even up to 25lbs except those 5$ playground rackets. :)

4. Side1021

Side1021 Regular Member

Even with this kinda crack it's still playable. It's looks perfectly new if don't look at it the from the side hehehe.

I bought it less than 1 year, is it still under warranty? If it is where do i send it to in Canada? US is at the end of serial.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the crack is obvious, I don't think it's a good idea to continue play with it, especially if u r "power play" type. This can only further damage the racket.

So, u bought a US version in Canada? Not sure if US warranty could be carried over or not. Maybe try to contact ur dealer asap.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You should contact Yonex Canada regarding the racquet. I have been told that authorized Yonex retailers do sell US coded racquets because Yonex Canada sometimes get stock from the US to cover shortfalls.

Hard to tell if your damage is due to defects or poor stringing without seeing the racquet.

7. Side1021

Side1021 Regular Member

If it's due to poor stringing, is it odd that the crack showed up after 3 month of play?

8. Side1021

Side1021 Regular Member

I just called Yonex Canada. The lady told me just send it to them. I ask about the serial number part, she said she don't know. :mad:

9. moreyp

moreyp Regular Member

Education
    [​IMG]
    Does it look like this? ;)

10. ryosuke

ryosuke Regular Member

student
    oh damn.... moreyp, that raquet looks brutal, like it was used in a bar fight or somethin and not due to high tension...

side, i dont think that a racket would form a crack after 3 months due to stringing, in most cases a poor stringing job would cause problems quickly. also, as kwun said that at 20 lbs a bad stringing job shouldnt have too much effect on the racket unless its a $5 playground racket...

perhaps the crack may be due to... accidental hits on the floor? i've seen a player who used his racket to balance himself by hitting the racket on the floor, after a while his racket cracked on him right at the 10 o clock position

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Oh man!! the racket seems like just had a truck ran onto it.

12. Side1021

Side1021 Regular Member

Hitting the floor is probably the only possibility(if the weakness of frame is not the case). I took good care of my racquets, i couldn't remember the last time i hit my Ti-SP on the ground. The last time i hit my racquet on the ground that i can remember is with my Cab 23( the one in the pic hehehe), about 1 years ago.

BTW nice pic moreyp! :D Personally i consider Oval shape racquets very strong when it comes to clashing. My last ISO(Ti-10) bent after one clash =(.

Anyways my Ti-SP is on the way to Yonex Canada. I hope they do something about it, but i dont think the chance are that high. Anybody have any idea how long Yonex Ca. will take to evaluate my racquet and send it back?

Thanx!
    :cool:

13. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Bet you smashed that Cab23 on the ground to have it broken into so many pieces.

I've seen a few rackets fracture due to over-optimistic string tensions but none looked anything like that. I have however seen a lot of breakage like that after the racket hit the ground / wall.

Must be a big hit. Cab23 is a very strong racket and for it to break into so many pieces meant a lot of force was involved.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have a friend who hits "blindly", he just closes his eyes and swings. all the clashes he got in his cab23, the rackets looks like the surface of the moon, but no crack.

i also noticed that the cab23 in the picture has very crisp cracks. most of the crack i have seen have some splinters of some sort...

15. moreyp

moreyp Regular Member

Education
    Yep, too much job related stress plus a bad day on the court equals the racquet you see in the picture. I felt better for about 5 minutes but after that I just felt like an idiot. It is now hanging on my office wall to remind me to never do that again.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    At least you didn't hit someone over the head :).

17. Gilly23

Gilly23 Regular Member

a friend of mine got his racquet done, he had a brand new nanospeed 8000 but it showed a crack around 4' o clock area inside of the racquet. Would it be the racquet was strung too high of a tension?

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is hard to prove. But most cracks from clashes are at the top half of the frame. Cracks at around the 4 to 5 o'clock are usually due to cracks during the stringing of the crosses at the top half of the frame, although such cracks are usually on the outside of the frame.