Meeting the legendary Mr. Kwun!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by adelina76, Apr 4, 2013.

1. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    I first joined BC way back in 2002 approximately and was very thankful to Kwun for creating this site, effectively building a virtual and global badminton village where there are no borders on nationalities, cultures, race, age and gender. Everyone unified in sharing their passion and love for the game and all its glorious intricacies and nuances.

Like many of you here, I laughed, cried, exclaimed and sometimes held spellbound by all the articles posted here. Before live streaming and scoring, we were relying on one another to update us with the scores at tournaments, clicking on the refresh button like there's tomorrow to get the latest scores!

I was one of they many lucky ones not only getting to share my passion for the game with you here online but I got to even meet a few of you, some becoming life long friends! Highlight of one such meeting led to an opportunity to write reports for the IBF website on the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games badminton event.

I can now add a further highlight...meeting the man himself that made it all possible for us to be part of this global badminton community! It is humbling to meet Kwun and even more the humbling experience to get to play a few games with him and get to know him and his lovely wife Janet better!

You'll all laugh at me for saying this but finally meeting Kwun is like getting to meet one of the badminton superstars. Truly an honour. As if that's not a treat in itself, the man himself proves to be a great ambassador not only for the sport but for how we should carry ourselves. Respectful of oneself and others, always sincere and without any air of pride or pretence!

Kwun, I won't embarrass you by listing all your wonderful qualities. Would just like to express my deepest gratitude and appreciation not only for being such a great host and friend during my visit of your home town, but for all your tireless efforts in creating and sustaining our global badminton community through BC! Keep up the good job!

I would commission a shrine for you but I know that would make you uncomfortable. How about a monument instead? :p

Thanks again foreverything, especially the honour of being able to call you a good friend! You know you, Janet and the kids will always have a place to stay and a free tour guide in NZ/Aus.

#1 adelina76, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    P.S Kwun! I can't seem to attach pic of us that's in my phone photo gallery. Tried to post the FB link to that photo, won't let me either so will leave it to your capable hands to upload that photo lol :)

3. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Please do! I think I play at the gym that Kwun frequents but I can't seem to pick him out in the crowd.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Adelina76, you have been away from BC for too long ;)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep... only 2 posts before this thread in the past 4.5 yrs?!

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Here's the pic...recognized the name on FB but didn't clue into your BC identification as it has been years since you posted on the forums. 885443_10151644189303268_1934155753_o.jpg

7. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    That's our Kwun :) Always gracious and humble.

8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Kwun told me how much you missed me Cheung, so I made this special trip back just for you. :) I hope you have been keeping yourself well?

Might come to visit you next! So start running! :p

9. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Thanks WWC! How are you? Long time no "see"! Thanks for posting the pic up! I'm so techno clumsy! So do you live near Kwun as well?

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. Adelina, you are so kind. it was absolutely pleasure meeting you finally after knowing you online for more than 10 years! what a true badminton fan and fanatic and a fantastic player no less. i still remember asking Adelina what days she wants to play badminton, her reply was, "Wed, Thurs, and Friday." and that's after we played on Monday!

and anyone ever tempted to invite Adelina for a game of badminton, make sure you polish up your own skills as Adelina plays a pretty mean game of badminton. we have quite a bit of fun playing mixed doubles against some really good local college kids and twice we saved a multiple games points to winning the game. she has no problem keeping up with the guys players over here.

and thanks for the complement. i am just a badminton fan who is slightly more fanatical than average. that's all! if running this website means bringing together badminton lovers and players, that's is the best shrine/monument we can ever have.

oh and next time (and i hope there will be a next time!), please bring some proper shoes for badminton. ;)

11. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    :) Still playing baddy, so = great! :)

I'm "near" Kwun as in a couple of hours flight north (in Vancouver, Canada). Kwun has been up here a few times and even worse than you as in playing badminton every day that he was here :)

No proper footwear for baddy??? Tsk, tsk!

Hope that you are enjoying your Cali trip!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. yes. last time i was there, i played friday night after landing at the airport at 9pm, and then played twice on Saturday and in between attended a wedding (of a childhood badminton friend no less!)

that was an awesome trip. :)

13. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

Wow.. all you guys are legendary !

14. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Next time in Brisbane/Auckland!

Lol Kwun! I only played well because I had a great partner that read the game and moved well. Totally awesome winning those games where we came back from 16-20 and 17-20!

Will definitely bring my shoes next time lol! Looking forward to more games!