Any issue with underhand serve and playing doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sgt_Strider, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Not sure what to call it, but for whatever reason, I've always felt the most comfortable doing an underhand serve whether playing singles or doubles. Over the years, I notice that most people don't serve like that in doubles, but I seem to get the same result no matter what. Is it weird or is there any issues doing so?

2. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Up to a certain level of play if you can serve consistently in this fashion I really don't see an issue.

Looking at the short serve. Between two players who can serve consistently backhand and forehand, I give an advantage to the backhand server though. Backhand serves start at the front of the player, forehand serves start around the side of the player. If nothing else, the backhand server can serve at a position where the shuttle travels less distance before it crosses the net, thus reducing reaction time for the receiver. Also, generally I find serving right at the line using a forehand serve awkward and difficult, whereas serving backhand I even lean closer to the net before I deliver my serve.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    when i play doubles i like to stand pretty close to my partner who is serving so that i am ready for a short that might land just past my partner but in front of me way to the side of the double side lines. with the forehand short serve, i have to give my partner a bit more room for the swing as it was explained previously. however, if the person is very efficient in serving short with a forehand swing, i believe it is much harder to read whether it's going to be a short serve to the front, or a forehand flick serve to the back :)