0 Thread(s)

XS is born in 1994, according to Wiki.
    http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%96%9B%E6%9D%BE

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post

The manner in which he won it coming from behind and facing near imminent defeat in G2 after being one set down was incredible, an extraordinary fightback from 19-12 down to take the next 9 points and the set to force the decider which he eventually won convincingly by turning the tables on his worthy opponent K Srikanth.
    actually make that the next 15! points in a row if you include the deciding game...as he led by 6-0 before Srikanth could score a point...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by volcom View Post
    that's 24 years old
    My apologies, typo error, should be 22nd Jan 1994.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that Xue Song is gradually becoming a thinking player, controlling and constructing the rally to create attacking opportunities rather than trying to attack ferociously as before. I too think he may possibly transform into another Chen Long than Du Pengyu who was a nearly man before winning a single title years later in his career. Besides, DuPY is never known to be a sharp,forceful attacking player that Xue Song is/was(now he is more of an all-rounder); furthermore, Xue Song has a killer smash which is lacking in DuPY's game.

Xue Song's international debut started in April last year and within about 9 months he's garnered one GPG championship at the IND Open'14 plus two other runners-up in the AUS and the NZ Opens in 2013, not too bad for a young newcomer at the adult level.

Noteworthy is his ability to stay calm and focused when facing imminent defeat at 19-12 down in G2 after losing the 1st set against Srikanth and then going on to play a near flawless game to win the next 9 points and the set to force the decider - that to me is a indication of his mental strength and a sign of growing to maturity; nevertheless, still plenty of room for improvement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really see anything good about Xue Song. His defense sucks. He has no power. He has mediocre smash. His movement is awkward.

I don't really see him amounting to a great player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, he deserved to lose and was on the verge of defeat to the 4th ranked Indian player. He won the tournament but didn't look impressive and he didn't have to beat any good players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After I watched the match I must say I was far more impressed with him in the Australian Open than here. K. Srikanth was more impressive untill the super run Xue Song had.
    It felt like the smashes Xue was able to return can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Compared to Srikanth's smash defense, contstantly putting the smashes away, Xue Song's defense seem to lack fundemental skilsl, or more likely that he had some real trouble reading the direction of the smashes.
    He has very, very good reflexes, no doubt that helped his very good return of service. I look forward to seeing how good a badminton player he can become. He has almost all the physical tools to become good it seems. And he's so young still.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For players in any country that is not CHN, 20 years is young and a player like XS will be a priviledged player. However playing for CHN, XS has prolly 2-3 years to make good, or he can start looking for another career

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xue Song wanted badly to lift up the trophy but the prize presenters held it tight for their photo opportunities. That's the funny moment I remember from yesterday's match.

He's really strong by the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    I don't really see anything good about Xue Song. His defense sucks. He has no power. He has mediocre smash. His movement is awkward.

I don't really see him amounting to a great player.
    Yeah unfortunately I do not see any singles players from China that look like they are even on Chen Yu's level of yesteryears...

If Chen Yu was playing nowadays he'd have a field day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chen Yu's claim to fame was he gave LCW a hard time, acting as one of LD many bodyguards. When you say you do not see any singles players from CHN that are on CY level, do you include CL? CL may be inconsistent, has ups and downs but he won several SS while CY hasn't,and when CL played LCW, that level of play IMO is way above CY.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Chen Yu's claim to fame was he gave LCW a hard time, acting as one of LD many bodyguards. When you say you do not see any singles players from CHN that are on CY level, do you include CL? CL may be inconsistent, has ups and downs but he won several SS while CY hasn't,and when CL played LCW, that level of play IMO is way above CY.
    For sure CL is above CY, but what about others?

CY was a domestic beast... he regularly trumped everyone in domestic competitions, but he lacked mental strength and stamina on the world stage...
    I see no other promising Chinese players....

Look at WZM who is actually playing worse than 3-4 years ago.
    THW: Flashes of brilliance but complete mediocreness after one successful tournament seems the norm... cannot even beat a aging LHI.
    Huang Yuxiang: weaker version of DPY
    CYK: Domestic bully
    Gao Huan: not worth mentioning
    XS: Dunno seems overhyped, see nothing spectacular from him, maybe he'll prove me wrong...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you. China's MS isn't in a great place at the moment.

WZM: Very disappointing, but has shown victories over the top non-LCW players in the world.
    THW: I think he will become a great player.
    CYK: Already 24, and he totally sucks.
    Gao Huan: Already 24, and he totally sucks even more.
    XS: Still young...but seems overrated. Don't see any real talent, and certainly not on the level of his peers like Axelson or Momota.
    Huang Yuxiang: Never seen him play. Latest results have been decent though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, he didn't quite lived up to my expectations of late after the initial euphoria that he generated in his debut performance at the AUS and the NZ Opens last year and that's because I'd expected more from a CHN up-and-coming player. But this IND Open GPG win of his is encouraging and to a considerable extent is redeeming though not fully yet as the tournament wasn't particularly strong, I've to admit.

However,let's see things in perspective. I first took notice of him after watching his match with Lin Dan at the 2012 CBSL where he acquitted himself creditably against the living legend to catch my attention.

Then at his maiden international tournament (excluding the junior events) , namely the AUS Open GPG'13, he beat the likes of Taufik Hidayat and Nguyen Tien Minh, both in two straight sets en route to the final where he lost a 3-set encounter to Tian Houwei who accounted for the sensational defeat of Lee CW at the semifinal. If you had watched Xue Song's victory over Alamsyah Yunus in the semifinal which was aired live on TV, you'd probably be impressed with his dynamic attacking game, esp his killer smash which time and again caught AY flat-footed. As we've already known, he followed it up with another runner-up performance back-to-back at the NZ Open GP'13 - really not bad for a 19-yr-old newbie's career start-up.

After that, a number of lackluster results , mostly early exits, the best being QFs ,and two last-minute pullouts - this is his lull, uneventful, even disappointing period. We can also view it as a consolidation phase during which his strengths are known and weaknesses exposed such that he is forced to tweak,fine-tune, retool or , better still, re-invent himself.

Then came his surprising defeat of Lin Dan at the CBSL last month albeit in three sets based on the 11-point scoring system, by 11-6, 6-11 and 12-10. Despite not being the standard 21-point system, it's still a notable result and should count for something simply because the opponent is none other than Super Dan. In fact, it was Lin Dan's only second defeat in CBSL history after having two days earlier suffered his very first shock defeat in the league championship to Tian Houwei in two straight sets, 9-11 and 8-11.

Finally, we come to his IND Open GPG win, his maiden title. The tournament lineup included the entire Indian national squad and locals, namely, P Kashyap, K Srikanth, Anand Pawar, Ajay Jayaram, H S Prannoy, RMV Gurusaidutt,Sai Praneeth, Sourabh Varma, just to name the better-known ones. As for the foreign players, we have Zulfadli Zulkiffli,Goh Soon Huat,Brice Leverdez,Iskandar Zainuddin,etc, - on the whole, not a strong tournament but not too shabby either, just average. Xue Song won the title by beating six IND players in a row, not his fault that a couple of them were the lesser known ones as the more fancied ones fell by the wayside before meeting him but it's not that far-fetched to say he beat the best of the lot, K Srikanth, in a spectacular turnaround final showdown.

All in all, I'd venture to say, moderately speaking, that Xue Song is arguably a high-potential, very promising, young talent to develop into a future star, aided by what CBA can offer him like no other. Indeed, esp. for a CHN player, the next couple of years are crucial for him to prove himself at the highest level or his career in the national squad, he's in the 2nd team at the moment , will end sooner than we expected.

Last but not least, the legendary Morten Frost commentating on his matches during the semifinal and the final actually spoke highly of him; surely his words carry considerable weight, we shall see, it's early days yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by volcom View Post
    For sure CL is above CY, but what about others?

CY was a domestic beast... he regularly trumped everyone in domestic competitions, but he lacked mental strength and stamina on the world stage...
    I see no other promising Chinese players....

Look at WZM who is actually playing worse than 3-4 years ago.
    THW: Flashes of brilliance but complete mediocreness after one successful tournament seems the norm... cannot even beat a aging LHI.
    Huang Yuxiang: weaker version of DPY
    CYK: Domestic bully
    Gao Huan: not worth mentioning
    XS: Dunno seems overhyped, see nothing spectacular from him, maybe he'll prove me wrong...
    I mention CL because you say " I do not see any singles players from China that look like they are even on Chen Yu's level of yesteryears", the word 'ANY' means 'ALL' and would include CL. Since you concur CL is above CY, then I agree with you.
    Of the CHN MS players who has beaten LCW, CY sure is a road block to LCW on many encounters. I think CY smokes (I seem to recall some posts saying that) and that may affect his stamina, his style is awkward but he sure had success playing LCW.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    I agree with you. China's MS isn't in a great place at the moment.

WZM: Very disappointing, but has shown victories over the top non-LCW players in the world.
    THW: I think he will become a great player.
    CYK: Already 24, and he totally sucks.
    Gao Huan: Already 24, and he totally sucks even more.
    XS: Still young...but seems overrated. Don't see any real talent, and certainly not on the level of his peers like Axelson or Momota.
    Huang Yuxiang: Never seen him play. Latest results have been decent though.
    We have witnessed one of the, if not the best era in badminton with 4 of the best players (LD, LCW, TH, PG) playing each other in the same era. If one of these 4 players is playing in the next circle, he will dominate. And LD is greedy when it comes to majors, he swallowed the bulk of them, when it comes to SS/SSP, LD becomes generous, he is MIA.
    LCW, IMO, is the best player that comes out from MAS, the way he plays more than what he has won. Take away LD (if we call LD the best ever to play this game, I don't think we have too many people disagree on this) and LCW will dominate and become another greedy chap swallowing most of the majors.
    So, CHN is on a down cycle, and so is the ROW. We are comparing CHN next batch of MS with LD, BCL...that is quite unfair, comparing the not too good players to the best ever. CHN with so many young players (they may not be great players now, except CL) is a priviledge and a testamony to the success of CHN training system. I am sure other countries would be happy to adopt these players into their own.
    Why not compare CHN's current MS (delete LD and CL) players to the ROW. IMO, CHN MS is better than INA, KOR, MAS, DEN, JAP, and that comprises the best from the ROW. Not bad, and I think CHN has a lot more MS players playing in some provincial teams, hiding somewhere in the mountains that we have not heard of yet...another hidden mother of all weapon of mass destruction coming soon to haunt the ROW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am only a new member of this forum but like all of you a keen badminton fan. On the issue of chinese badminton I only need to compare it with the table tennis performance and the connsistency of their players year in and year out. Their best players are young and exposed to the world very early. Even now they have a sixteen year old in the first team. It points out to the quality of their organisation, supported by the coaches and their training abilities. The CBA before Lin Dan etc were like the table tennis teams, invincible. But look at it now. So tell me doesnt this reflect on the people in charge? What happened ? Chinese badminton was at the top but now Thailand, Japan and Korea have caught up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4