Techniques Wrist, Back Hand, Smash HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kisukey, Apr 6, 2013.

1. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

Hi i need help with the following techniques

I understand the technique for all of them now but i'm having problems as i have a bad habit of having my shoulder and arms bent 90 degree in alot of shots and instead of using wrist power i am using arm.

Clear Shot: My arm stuck 90 degree == but im doing it incorrectly
    and i can get power from wrist and arm

Back Hand: My problem is the footwork and generating power when the snap wrist action. My shoulder inst pointing up as i am required.

Smash: my arm is stuck 90 degrees again i cant seem to stretch my arm. And i think i know the wrist action.

Im pretty sure i know how all the wrist and arm is meant to be but how can i practice this at home? And i won't be able to practice when i go to my badminton session as we just play games and rotate to the people lining up.

Should i just get a racket and pretend im hitting the shuttle with the correct technique over and over again?

2. betazone

betazone Regular Member

you may want to post some pics to illustrate....guess I am not so clear based on your description

3. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

The attachment is how my arms are just before i hit the shuttle.
    I am using very little wrist power. It is like locked in a 90 degree position
    Im trying to get out of that habit. What should i do? i can only practice at home.

Attached Files:

4. visor

visor Regular Member

at point of strike, your elbow should be near 135 degrees, not 90 degrees... you need to extend your elbow a bit more into the shot

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Like visor says, you need to extend your elbow... By just trying to do what you are doing kisukey, putting my elbow in a 90 degree angle, makes my muscles tight and stiff. Also, try out coach Lee's tips on how to do backhand shots. I found it very useful. Thinking about it, when you do a stick smash (snapping your wrist) compared to a usual smash, you never generate the same amount of power. The same goes for backhand. I guess it would work if you want to make a drop shot or a quick but not so fast backhand smash. However for backhand clears, you will need to consider using coach Lee's technique instead.

Another thing you'd want to try is to start with your racket hand close to your chest to generate more power, but also to hide what you are going to do (just like with your usual forehand clear, drop and smash where the basic form is the same for all of them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMrmV2DYvo

#6 Wingu, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

is that for a f/h or b/h shot?

If f/h then the only power you are getting is wrist (= pronation) power.

If b/h then I don't understand how you will play a shot like that.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's great you recognise this and keen to change.

Stand next to a wall and perpendicular to the wall. Stand close to it like your right side of your body is next to the wall. Then practice the overhead swing. You won't be able to swing unless your elbow goes right up higher.

Next, do the same but holding a racquet. Do it slowly and examine the shaft of the racquet at the top of the swing. The shaft of the racquet should be almost vertical when above your right shoulder.

From the picture you posted, you might be holding the racquet too tightly as your hand looks like a fist - difficult to really make a judgement as you don't have the racquet in your hand.

8. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

Wow, first of all i didn't expect so many replies so thank you all of you :D.
    So i tried to do a few hits into the air with my grip loser and
    yeh i think it is working better it is reaching alot more than 90 degrees haha.
    But i need to practice alot and hope i dont get lazy and go back and using my arm force.
    (i dont know if i will remember to loosen my grip when i get in game hope i do)

Chueng: when you mean the wall do u mean my right shoulder nearly touching the wall so then im forced to make sure my arm is 130 degree?

BTW just before i make contact with the shuttle do i grip my racket harder?

#9 kisukey, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Yepp, you tighten your grip right before you make your shot. You do this with all shots, not just backhand. Good luck!

10. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

I do what Cheung said, actually kind of whenever I warm up as well. I had a mental focus on days that I wanted to focus on this specifically. Also, try to make contact higher which will force you to straighten your arm. This will make your shot more lethal and give you more options.

Finally, many times I would bring my video camera and tripod to film myself while drilling with a friend. It is always an eye opener when you film, watch, improve, and repeat.

Cheers
    Hugh

11. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I guess, the purpose of that practice is to make sure that you are hitting the shuttle at the maximum highest position. (not bending your elbow)

#12 Ashaan, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  12. LeonLu

LeonLu New Member

law student
    NOT 90 degrees....when hitting long shots or smashes, your should rotate your body or else sholder at least....other than wrist you should be using ur waist and abdominal muscles as well........DONT speak too much english...u understand what i mean do u....

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yup.
    And also making sure the upper arm is not horizontal.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The question is a bit unclear; I'm assuming it's about rearcourt backhands. Some basic concepts are useful here:

If you are playing a rearcourt backhand, then you should be reaching out to the side, not trying to hit the shuttle directly above you.

If instead you are hitting the shuttle with a 90 degree bend at the elbow, this suggests you are too close to the shuttle and should have played a forehand instead -- both because forehands are better, and also because backhands are technically difficult from this position.

I wrote an backhand clear article recently that covers this in more depth.

I would recommend focusing on clears and drop shots, and forgetting about the smash for now.

15. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

TY will try and get my clears prefect first then do backhand.
    I am pretty happy with my drops :D

16. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

So i did alot of practice swings at home and i think i got the technique right.
    However, when i played badminton last saturday it seemed that i had to hit the shuttle with my shoulder bent

what i think im doing wrong:
    im leaving the shuttle too late so therefore i cant stretch my arm?
    ^ could that be possible? because when i clear i need to hit the shuttle at highest contact point right?

Please help.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hit the shuttle at full relaxed reach. This means you're reaching upwards, but you're not locking out your joints. There are still small angles at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist.

18. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

Today i had my elbow reach upwards b4 the clear?
    Im hitting it alot further and less power but is this wrong the way im hitting it?
    Im basically reaching up earlier just b4 the shuttle reaches me?

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That sounds great to me. :)