Tian Houwei ( 田厚威 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  2. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Great win for the kid, I thought LCW was going to win after he forced the 3rd set but the kid fought hard and just look like he wanted it more than LCW.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In that match with Tian Houwei, LCW may not be at his best but still good enough to take out anyone other than Lin Dan or Chen Long - see how he disposed of Prasojo and Qiao Bin in the previous rounds. So I'd definitely count Tian HW's victory over LCW as a huge one, you should watch the match proceedings to convince yourself of that. THW's attacking shots and amazing retrieving ability and unawed,unyielding spirit facing the world number one is certainly praiseworthy. A superstar in the making.

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Just one performance and I'm convinced he has it in him

5. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    nice to see another left-hander coming up the ranks

6. undeadshot

Congratulations to Tian Houwei for winning his first international tournament in 2013 at the Australian Open. Hope China aims to push he and Xue Song's ranking up soon so that they can join the likes of WZM and DPY soon

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Tian Houwei is born 1/11/1992 (I take it as mm/dd/yyyy) according to BWF profile, he's 21 now, from Fujian, China.

This Chinese article has something about him http://sports.qq.com/a/20130407/000386.htm Briefly:

For the CHN MS, LCW has to date lost to only five of them before of which three of them happened to be from Fujian province, namely Lin Dan, Chen Long and Tian Houwei; the other two being Chen Jin and Du Pengyu.

In the historic match victory yesterday in the semi-final of the AUS Open 2013, the statistics showed Tian HW has 15 smash winners to 9 for Lee CW, and 19 net winners to 20 for Lee CW.

Tian Houwei was born in 1992 in Fuzhou, Fujian province.When he was with the provincial sport team for three years, he was once coached by Tang Xianhu and Hu Zhilan. In 2009, in the first selection contest held after the Beijing 2008 Oylmpics , he emerged successful to join the national 2nd team (now the two team system has been abolished and unified as just one national team). In the same year, he became the AJC and WJC MS Champion.

To the reporter's knowledge, Tian HW has three idols, Lin Dan, Taufik Hidayat and Wu Yanzu (Daniel Wu,an actor). He's reported to have said " I'm left-handed, so is Lin Dan, I take him as my role model. Taufik, ever since I learnt to play, I've admired his skills. After watching 'A new police story' (a movie), I grew fond of Wu Yanzu."

8. undeadshot

Also, for those who think Lee Chong Wei was going easy on Tian Houwei, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDAukzPsvk He definitely tried hard once he woke up from the 1st game huge deficit, the 2nd and 3rd game was definitely him playing his normal game which is enough to beat almost every other player in the world save for a few and Tian Houwei was able to match him.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I doubt that, Chen Hong, Bao Chunlai, Chen Yu, Xia XZ.. To name a few ...

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    agreed with you.:D

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Btw, he was born on 1st Nov, according to:

http://www.badmintoncn.com/cbo_star/star_468.html

So, he is 20 and a bit.

#11 AlanY, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for the correction, I was guessing the BWF date format which should be dd-mm-yyyy then. And the Chinese reporter didn't state his date of birth, only the year and place.

As for the number of CHN MS who have beaten LCW, that article only named five. If you're correct, then I say the reporter should have done his homework. Come to think of it, I believe Bao CL has done it before, I'm not sure about Xia XZ, Chen Yu and Chen Hong.

Latest edit: My apologies, the reporter is talking about the last five years, presumably since the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

#12 Justin L, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  13. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Great win for Houwei

He and Xue Song are good future players

I'm glad Australian Open is the domain for these two to rise by beating out the seeds

14. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

I'm so glad that i finally found my junior badminton star :D
    Unfortunately, he is placed away from top 10 in my list. Well, he'll make it someday.
    Any links on the final game of him vs Xue Song? My grandpa missed it and i promised him to help him download the match. Any links on he final game?

15. fauci

fauci Regular Member

he seems to always wear a back support. hope he's not having trouble with injuries.

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Both news reporter and Allan were right. Before Li Mao's coaching, LCW was not among the top players. Chen Hong beat him 5 times, held 5-1 winning records against LCW, before 2006. Xia XZ's still holding a winning record. Basically, before 2006, LCW had a losing records against any Chinese players, such as Xia XZ, Chen Hong, Chen Yu, Chen Jin, Lin Dan,....

During 2006-2008, LCW began to win, and the total records is like 50-50, against Chen Hong, Chen Yu, Bao CL, Chen Jin.

In 2008, Chen Hong and Chen Yu retired. After that, LCW began to dominate all Chinese players, except Lin Dan.

So if counting only the records after 2008, only 5 Chinese players have won at least 1 match against LCW: Lin Dan, Chen Long, Chen Jin, Du PY, and now Tian HW.

Tian Houwei has done a phenomenal job at this Aussie open, beating LCW, (leading most of time in all games, and leading all the time in the deciding game), Santoso (Indonesia top ranked), Chong WF(Malaysia #3), Latif, KBH, and young Chinese star Xue Song.

But Tian HW has played professional tournaments since Oct 14, 2010. This is the 1st time in his 2.5 years professional career.

Xue Song, 2 years younger than Tian HW, also performed extremely well in his debut in this Aussie open. I remember only Zhao Jian Hua did something similar.

The profiles from web site http://www.badmintoncn.com/ are not accurate. For example, Xue Song, was born in Jian Su, (the same province Yang Yang, Zhao JH, Sun Jun, ... were born), instead of Guang Dong.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

A future Lin dan in the making. Maybe he can psych himself up a bit in terms of body size. He looked very calm and cool on court in today's final which is totally different from what I seen him in AJC final a few years back in Malaysia against Iskandar Zulkarnain.. He's very fierce in his shouting and his smash;)

A well deserved victory for this young men. After having to storm the qualifying round and straight advance to the final in his 1st ever international tournament, this is very impressive indeed! What's more impressive is he beat the WR#1 and showed no fear en route to beat all the odds against him.

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

congratulations for the amazing journey in this Australia Open GPG!

hope to see you more in next bigger tournaments (as i can not watch how you played in this 2013 AO GPG) :D

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just managed to watch some of the AO final.

a more nimble version of Lin Dan. Lin Dan in his debut around 2002/2003 looked heavier. THW is lankier though not as solid. almost like a blend of LD and LCW.

but what result is incredible speed and agility, and super fitness. a bit rough on the edge when it come fast drive exchanges but that's something that can be corrected. the key is to keep working and build up on the mental part of it. the hunger is part of the winner formula against LCW yesterday.

as for LCW, seems to have underestimated his opponent on the 1st game. and failed to find his top rhythm. rare to see LCW on both knees after losing a hard fought rally. the man is getting old.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

it's now confirmed i guess? LCW was not 100% fit in AO as he just had little time for preparation because of illness. so this condition might also contribute to THW's winning few days ago.

but THW of course still deserve some credit for his performance. even a not 100% fit LCW is still a superior player to most of the MS player in the competition nowdays. it's just that if he dream to redo it next time, THW surely need to work harder. :)