First Impression of the Victor VS850

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BigFC, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

So today was my first day trying out Victor's VS850 string. First ever Victor string I've ever used and I must say it does have quite a good feel to it.
    I have it strung at 28x30lbs on my MX80, and the amount of control is amazing. The power from the string was pretty darn good too. Even being strung at higher tension I could still hit backhand clears a good distance and height.
    One weird thing I found from the string is that when it comes into contact with the shuttle, it gives off some what of a 'metal'-ish sound. I don't really know how else to explain it. It was annoying at first but once I got used to it, the sound was fine.
    I strung my friends racquet with it as well and he said it was fantastic (then broke the strings after a few miss hits xD)

I would love to say that I recommend this string to everyone but I'm not quite sure how it might behave with different racquets, ie yonex or lining.

So what do you guys think about the string? Like it? Absolutely hate it? Or is it just like any other string :p.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

it is a very nice feeling string with good power... only problem is that I couldn't stand the annoying 10% tension loss over several weeks...

3. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Darn, is the tension loss that bad?
    Does that mean I should string it at 10% more than 28x30? so 30.8x33? :S

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, most people would either prestretch 10% or string 10% higher and let it sit for a week or two...

5. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Hmm you see, I have a drop weight machine, and when I strung the racquet, I cut the string and YULitle's method of pre stretching against a pillar I have at my house.
    I'm not sure that I stretched it at exactly 10%, but do you think it'll reduce the tension loss for it?

I just want the strings to last a month, just until school tournaments are over.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I see... when I used to hand prestretch, I found I could get about 6-8 inches of extra length from this string in order to cut down on tension loss.

7. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

VS850 has nice feel and repulsion if not the best of both. But like visor, I'm not amused about the fast tension loss. The tension loss in the beginning is okay, since you know you have to string it higher as usual. But the longer you play the more you're noticing its tension drop.

But honestly my next string for my main racket will be VS850 again since I've broken the last 3 strings within 2 months. It also should be a test for myself if the tension drop within 2 months is still acceptable or not since I don't remember that. I just remember that this string is absolutely a No Go for backup rackets.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If the tension loss could be sorted out, I probably wouldn't touch another string. Until then, though...

To get mine to stabilize in my useable zone, I'd have to go into the mid-30's, and that's just too much.

By the way, OP - the blue plays the best of all the colours;).

9. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Ouu never tried the coloured ones :eek:

Ill try the blue one after I finish my reel of while VS850 :p

10. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Okay so when I switch between a racquet that I strung for my friend at 24x26lbs and mine at 28x30lbs, I keep on feeling that kind of 'metal'-ish feeling ... as the training session goes on, I get used to it but I keep thinking I might of messed up stringing and something broke...

Any ideas anyone?

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I only know the "metallic" feeling from the MX-rackets, but not from specific strings.
    MX-70 was really metallic for me. MX-80 less metallic, maybe due to its stiffness.

12. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Ahhh yes I have the string on my MX80, so that explains it!

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Haha, just my opinion. But as far as I know I'm not the only one here who feels the weird metallic feeling from the MX-series :)
    Maybe VS850 is the crispiest string which let you feel the metallic feeling even more than with other strings? That would be an explanation for your suprised reaction.
    Or is VS850 your first string on the MX80?

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    overall, vs850 is a pretty stiff string, maybe that's why you feel metallic, because all that shock is going directly into the racket. my experience with victor rackets is that their hollow frames gives it that metaliic feel that you're getting instead of a "thud" feel from most yonex rackets. with the vs850 stiff string plus the hollow design of most victor racket, you will feel that the metallic feel amplified.

15. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Before I strung it with VS850, I had BG65Ti and it didn't feel much different from any other Yonex racquet :p

16. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    What's the flavour of the month Mark? I've recently just changed to VS850 as I was snapping VS650 nearly every session. I like this string a lot. I currently have it on my MX80 and SW35 at 28lbs. It's not as hard as BG80 and packs a good wollop. I haven't noticed much tension loss and that is after a mens match and a full on training session but maybe it's just around the corner.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There's no way I could play VS650 regularly... not at 32 with plastics;).

Without wanting to derail the thread, I really think you should try VS850 against Li Ning NS30 - it's what I've landed on after demanding VS850's hardness with better tension-holding. The VS850 sheds most of its slack within the first 6-8 hours, IME.

18. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

where did you get NS30 in uk and how much, quite interested :p

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The only UK supplier I've found is here, but you can bring it in from MBS.

20. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

@Mark Aso you enjoy playing with NS30 more than the VS850? I've recently ordered two strings to test=p